12 Inch Pan Help

Decorating By momof5kiki Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 10:18pm by dolfin

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 7

OK, so I am using a 12 inch pan (never done this before) and will be using cake mixes. Does anyone have any tips? How many cake mixes will I need to fill one layer?

I am doing 12 inch pan, 10 inch, 8, and 6. I am assuming that I will need to make at least two layers for each size right?

6 replies
AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

Hi icon_smile.gif I use the enhanced cake formula from the recipe section here, and it makes about 7 1/2 cups - I believe that is how much you want for a 12". I would use either a flower nail or heating core it in for even baking, and I usually line the bottom of my pan with wax paper or parchment so it comes out easy. Good luck!

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 7

I think one box of cake mix makes about 5 cups of batter. If you go to the wilton website, click on cake, then cake preparation, then recommended batter amounts, and then a baking and cutting guide link, that might help you out. It gives you a chart listing batter amounts needed for different pan sizes and shapes. I usually do two layers if using 3" deep pans, and maybe up to three layers if using 2" deep pans if I want a higher cake, because usually by the time the cake layer is leveled it isn't 2 inches high anymore. Hope that helps.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 7

Maybe 1 1/2 boxes. And don't forget to use the flower nail to make sure it bakes in the middle.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 7

That's a good question. You will need to measure the volume of each pan. Pour water in each pan to the top and then measure it. I'm assuming that you want your pans 1/2 to 2/3 filled, so then you will need 1/2 or 2/3 of your pan size total volume for batter. For example my 8" square pans have a total volume of 6 cups which means that I will use about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of batter for each 8" layer.

A cake mix will make between 4 to 6 cups of batter. What you need to do is find out how much batter the mix you intend to use makes. Then you can figure out how many mixes you will need.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 7

For 12 inch pans I would suggest at least two boxes per pan, and I would definitely suggest two layers of each cake w/ filling in between them. Sounds like a huge cake, make sure you post pictures when it's done! icon_smile.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm
this link will tell you how much batter you will need for your pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%