Help! Fondant In 105+ Weather. Which One Is Best?

Decorating By erincakegirl Updated 15 Jul 2006 , 1:34am by Misscourtk

erincakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincakegirl Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 11

I'm having to do a wedding cake where the bride decided that an outdoor wedding in a 115 degree month (August) would work out well for her. (She's dead set on it.)

The cake will be fondant and out of the sun at about 7:00pm, putting our temp at 105 degrees. I have 2 major areas of concern and I'm hoping that someone has already experienced these before:

1. I generally use MMF, but will it hold up to those kinds of temps? If not, what's going to work best?

2. There will be black polka dots all over the cake. Will they stay on in that type of heat or am I going to have to adhere each one with royal or something to ensure they don't slide down?

Suggestions, experience, something, Please?

Thanks!

Erin

10 replies
cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 11

i think the mmf will be ok...but the polka dota may run if they are just buttercream....i think u should make them with royal or fondant so they wont melt

erincakegirl Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 11

I should have said that the polka dots are to be fondant. I normally just attach fondant together when it's moist so it all sticks together, but in this case, I'm worried about them melting and sliding off.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 11

The dots shouldn't slide if the glue, dots and cake are dry by the time the cake is exposed to the heat.
I use pettinice fondant in the dreadful summer heat here as I found my other fondant to sag and droop in severe heat.
It shouldn't matter whether you glue the dots using water or a sugar glue but I would at least use a drop of water as I have never just placed fondant onto fondant without something. Just provides extra security, literally even a paintbrush swipe of water on the back of the dots will be enough.
Good luck. I learned the hard way about my icing as a castle cake I made for our hottest day last year started to sag with the old fondant, but now will stay firm and proud with pettinice.

erincakegirl Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 11

thanks for the pettinice tip Keira. I've never tried that particular brand before, but I'll order some and give it a whirl.

sugarhips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhips Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 11

HI, I'm new to this forum. What is MMF? Also, is it best to cover a cake with icing before using fondant, or can you use a preserve? icon_eek.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:38am
post #7 of 11

mmf is marshmallow fondant, there is a recipe on this site for it.
You can cover your cake in buttercream or ganache or jam before putting fondant on it. They all help the fondant to stick to the cake otherwise it wouldn't sit properly.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:42am
post #8 of 11

ErinCakeGirl,

What about doing the black polka dots as inlays? I don't know if it would take away from the design, but they woudn't fall off!

erincakegirl Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 11

Good suggestion DianeMarie: Maybe I'll give it a shot that way. Of course, since it's a 5 tier cake, I think that might get a little time consuming, but it might be worth it to preserve the cake. I'll give it a try on a test cake both ways. Thanks!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 12:27am
post #10 of 11

Getting back to your original question:

I have read on several occasions that FondX rolled fondant stands up very well in heat. I do not use it, but perhaps someone can point you in a direction as to where to get it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Misscourtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misscourtk Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 1:34am
post #11 of 11

I will also be doing a cake this August, when it will be about 100 degrees. I've given so many warnings to the bride's mother, but she is insistent on having an outdoor reception. I've also refused to do buttercream frosting, as I can already see the disaster waiting to happen. So I've done some research and plan on using Cal Java's fondant. It sounds similar to FondX fondant, and the people at Cal Java says it does pretty well in the heat, plus it can be refrigerated beforehand, which should help keep the cake cold.
Anybody ever tried Cal Java fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%