Topsy Turvy Cake Questions

Decorating By strawberry0121 Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 1:11am by SLK

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone have tips on transporting a BC Whimsy cake? I am doing on e for Saturday and am a little nervous abnout getting it there. It is only 4 miles, but down one mountain and up another! I don't see how I can decorate on site, that would take too long. So, I would like to try transporting it in one piece.

It will have styrafoam dummies/ cake boards for the crooked part. I am also not sure about putting it together. Should I use cake boards on top of the styrafoam? Or just place the cake directly on the styrafoam?

I plan to dowel the whole thing down the middle for added support and also to dowel between each layer. THink that will be good enough?

Thanks!

4 replies
strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

BUmp...anyone???

ABrunath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ABrunath Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:01am
post #3 of 5

I'd definitely suggest going SLOW! Seriously though, get a sheet of that rubber shelf liner (sold at supermarkets, Target, dollar stores, etc) and lay it flat under the cake. If the whole thing is doweled, including the styrofoam cores, it's unlikely it'll come apart. The trick is keeping the cake in one place and unable to slide while driving. I don't travel without the stuff! Hope this helped in some way, Good luck!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:10am
post #4 of 5

I have never done a whimsy cake, but just did one using styrofoam (the brown & pink in my pics)......I put cardboard between the styro, just in case the weight from the cakes made it go through the dowels. I doweled the first two layers together, a dowel from the top through the foam, then a center one through the entire thing............hope that makes sense!

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:11am
post #5 of 5

I've transported several topsy turvy cakes all put together - but they have all been fondant covered.....as far as falling apart as you travel though, I don't think that will make a difference.

Dowel it really good - between layers and through the center - and, if it's a really big cake - maybe 2 or 3 dowels through it all.

and I agree with ABrunath....drive slow!

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%