Reception On About $1000.00

Decorating By jennifer293 Updated 25 Jul 2006 , 9:20am by jowhip

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:04am
post #61 of 63

Oh!! I forgot to tell you I literally made my own flowers. This was when we didn't have our Hobby Lobby with beautiful flowers already done. I bought the petals and stems and stuff to make each flower. Then made my bouquet, the wedding party and the flowers for cake. Once again store discounts and specials icon_smile.gif . Around $20. Wedding priceless had to throw that one in icon_wink.gif again hope it helps Kay

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:16am
post #62 of 63

I've never made food for weddings but I have overseen the hospitality ministry at our church. Every month, my team and I put together elaborate meals for about 250+ people.

I'm all about challenging myself to get the best deal SO, before buying the food, I would scope out several places and compare prices. AFTER THAT, two of my friends and I shopped for the food. We went in two cars and when we were finished shopping, both cars were BURSTING with food. It's been three years since the last time I did this...but my car is still paying for it~ (my brakes always squeak!)
Anyways, I've always been able to buy more than enough food for about $300 for 250+ guests by going to my 3 trusted stores: Costco, Albertsons, and Smart & Final.
I've never been much of a finger food person myself...a little as appetizers BEFORE the main meal is fine...but if it takes the place of a meal especially at a big celebration like a wedding, it's likely that your guests won't leave as satisfied as opposed to if they had a full meal. I know eating isn't THE BIG EVENT of a wedding, but if you skimp, your guests are likely to notice

Try some of the ideas that the CC members threw out for you.
Pastas would be a good filler + they're relatively easy to make...so are BBQ Chicken~

The only things that I want to give you a heads up on are:
1) Have a plan. Figure out what dishes you want to make, the work that will go into making that dish, and WHO will be doing what.
2) Do the shopping 2 to 3 days in advance and on the day before the wedding, START EARLY!!! There were times when we would start later in the day (3 PM) and wouldn't finish until 5 AM.
3) Enlist the help of MANY people (for 250+ we had a team of 5 to 7 peopel working). Some people may be able to help only for certain hours of the day so make a note of that in your master plan, and just plan out what they will do when they're there.
4) Get GOOD utensils. Flimsy & small discounted forks and knives won't do. Go get the Kirkland ones from Costco.

GOOD LUCK and I hope you'll have a great feast! =)

jowhip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jowhip Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:20am
post #63 of 63

if you have access to a chocolate fountain I was at a wedding where they had fresh strawberries and chocolate fountain it was a great hit. I think they rented the fountain for about $35 (in AZ).

Velveeta HIt 'n Cheesy Crab Dip
prep: 5 min Total 10 min
Makes 2 1/2 C

1lb (16 oz.) Velveeta cut up
1 can (6 1/2 oz.) crabmeat, drained, flaked
1/2 C. green onion slices
1/2 C. chopped red bell pepper
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (ceyenne)

Mix velveeta, crabmeat, onions & bell peppersin lg microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 5 min or until velveeta is completely melted. Stir after 3 mins.

Stir in sour cream and red pepper

serve hot with wheat thins or cut up fresh veggies.

This is always a great hit at family reunions and pot lucks

Feta and Vegetable Rotini Salad
prep: 20 min Total 1 hr 20 min including fridge time
serves 8 (I triple it and it seems to serve more than 24, usually 35)

3 C. tricolor rotini pasta, cooked, drained, & cooled.
1C. Crumbled Feta Cheese
1 C. Cherry tomatoes, halfed
1 C. cucumber unpeeled & chopped
1/2 C. sliced black olives
1/2 C. Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1/4 C. Red onion finely chopped

Toss all ingredients together and refridgerate for at least an hour to blend flavors. (I think it tastes better after a few hours, so making it a day or two in advance is okay)

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%