My Sister Is Turning 30...and Dreading It!

Decorating By JRAE33 Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 10:30pm by crystalina1977

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 28

I need help coming up with a theme..not just for the cake but the whole party in general. My dear (younger) sister is turning 30 in July and completely dreading it (which I just don't get). So I'm throwing her a surprise birthday party at my house. I'm getting her friends and family to come help celebrate. I want to come up a fun overall theme. I know all the creative people here at CC will be able to help me! Like I said, she's going to be thirty. She's a wife and mom...she has three boys but she's a total "girly-girl". She teaches headstart. She's a great sister. Any ideas? Of course, the theme will be carried over onto the cake. TIA. Jodie

27 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 28

What about a 29 again theme. icon_biggrin.gif Kind of like 29* with an * again....

Judi

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 28

Boy did I ever dread the big 30. But now after I turned 50 it did not bother me. I look back and realized that I was going thru post partum depression. Just had my youngest not long before that. I sure feel for her. But on the other hand I will get into my books to help you to make her feel better about her birthday. thumbs_up.gif

JRAE33 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 28

Doescakestoo - I feel bad because I can't relate to her. When I turned 30 it didn't bother me at all. I didn't like 25, not because I felt I was getting old or anything, but because I felt like 25 was the age where you kind of have to grow up...no longer a kid and time to be an adult. I thought 30 was fine, but then I was at a really good point in my life (it was just 2 years ago for me). I can relate to you, however, in regards to postpartum. I was so bad after my first was born. In the moment, you don't realize just how bad you are, but once you come back around again and are able to reflect, you can see just how down you really were. I was lucky to not experience with my last two babies! Anyways, thanks for offering to help me come up with a theme! I want to make this really great for her...not something dreaded icon_smile.gif

Judi- she does keep saying she's going to be 29...again...ha.ha.

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 28

A friend of mine did a "Forever 29" party for her little sis.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 28

I like that forever 29 idea!

I just turned 30 back in January and it didn't seem like such a big deal really. My baby girl's 1st birthday was on the same exact day so that was kind of fun.

Courtney

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:18am
post #7 of 28

I do remember telling everyone that I was "29" for so long that at one time in the ER I forgot how old I was and my oldest child had to tell the clerk. He thought I was crazy (not son but clerk) that a child who was only 10 could remember my age and I couldn't. Had a migrane so that did not help either. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #8 of 28

Wow, I am thinking. What does she like to do?

I turned the BIG 30 last year and I couldn't wait. (Don't tell anyone because I still say I am 25) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifshhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gif It's so funny because I made the MISTAKE and told my oldest daugther who is 9 my REAL age and she will NOT forget it even if I pay her. I told my 5 year old I was 25 I believe 2 years ago and she thinks I am 27. icon_lol.gif

I am thinking. I will get back to you.

JRAE33 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 28

Okay...so if we did the 29 again or 29 forever theme, how do you tie it all together as far as invites, decorations, cake. I need some creative help here because I'm not able to picture it all put together. The party is taking place at my house and since it should be nice out, we will be setting up both inside and outside. How do you do the tables and so on...since she is so girly-girly I'd like it to be pretty, but still fun. Any ideas? Thanks! Jodie

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 28

what are her intrests?

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 28

Well, I guess you could put a different spin on the "30" thing. Like, instead of focusing on it being her 30th birthday, you could do a 1930s themed party, focusing on the 30s decade instead. It would be neat to have all of her friends dress up in 30s attire and play old records, etc.

Or, since she is apparently having trouble with growing older, you could do a "03" party instead and throw her a childlike party with children's games, favors, etc. HTH

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:34pm
post #12 of 28

I'm turning 30 in July too & I'm dreading it & no one seems to understand with me either. (twindees I tell everyone I'm 25 too, it's a much nicer age! icon_lol.gif)

I've done 2 30th cakes this year & have a 3rd to do at the end of this month & they all seem to be on the shoes & purses theme. Not sure if this is her thing but you did say she was a girly girl.

The pic below is a 30th I did last week
LL

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

Or, since she is apparently having trouble with growing older, you could do a "03" party instead and throw her a childlike party with children's games, favors, etc. HTH

[/quote]

I LIKE this idea! You know a kind of "it's all in how you LOOK at it" thing! This would be a FUN party! Maybe use pictures of her when she WAS 3 years old!

Beth in KY

freakgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freakgirl Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 28

A friend of mine did a "13 Going On 30" theme party for her own 30th. (Like the movie with Jennifer Garner.)

Everything at the party was themed to when she was 13 years old; the music, the food, whatever was popular then. People even came dressed as their 13-year-old selves. I thought it was such a fun idea!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 28

my cake decorator friend made me a coffin cake with a fondant person inside (open casket). She made the person look like me. The board said "may your youth rest in peace." I actually cried because 30 was hard for me.

THe cake was awesome, though. Everyone else got a good laugh.

When she turned 30 I had planned to make her a cake covered with fondant prunes... but she moved away. It was going to be black with purple prunes. I was going to write... "may the rest of the trip be smooth"

I personally love the toilet cake that is on here. I can't remember who did it, but she wrote "It's all crap from here". She had also made bc "crap"

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:58am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindees

Wow, I am thinking. What does she like to do?

I turned the BIG 30 last year and I couldn't wait. (Don't tell anyone because I still say I am 25) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifshhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gif It's so funny because I made the MISTAKE and told my oldest daugther who is 9 my REAL age and she will NOT forget it even if I pay her. I told my 5 year old I was 25 I believe 2 years ago and she thinks I am 27. icon_lol.gif

I am thinking. I will get back to you.

I'm turning 30 at the end of the month and made the mistake of telling my oldest DD. All I hear anymore is "Mom, you're going to be 30 soon. Mom, do you know you are about to turn 30. OMG mom, you're turning 30!" I just keep telling her that I'm not having anymore birthdays. icon_lol.gif I don't mind turning 30. Maybe now places will stop carding me. icon_lol.gif I look young for my age. As for a theme I would go with the 29 again theme.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 4:15am
post #17 of 28

i am 29 and 48 months LOL
i didn't have any issues with turning 30, however, my oldest brother turns 40 this month and my youngest brother turns 30 in July and i have issues with that LOL
my sis and i will never be in our 30's, we are 29 and ? months LOL

what are your sisters interests? i saw you mentioned "girly" is she a shopper? clothing? gardening etc i can't wait to see what you come up with and i'm sure your sister will love it and it will brighten her day so much.
Amy

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 4:16am
post #18 of 28

My older sister has been 29 for six years. icon_lol.gif As a matter of fact I'm the older sister now!! icon_surprised.gif She refused to have a birthday party so we had a "gathering" and I gave her all Halloween themed stuff. Presents, cards etc. Her birthday is late Sept. It's become tradition. thumbs_up.gif

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:09pm
post #19 of 28

I'm turning 30 in october. Cant wait, but only because I'm having a huge party... The thing about becomming 30 I'm trying to block out of my mind LOL

I think you might give her a princess party, the kind of kids like, maybe that will give her a young feeling....

JRAE33 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 11:05pm
post #20 of 28

Now I don't know what to do....too many cute ideas icon_smile.gif I like the 29 forever/again theme, but not sure how I would decorate?!

Love the 0-3 instead of 3-0 party...could think of lots of fun games her and I used to play as kids. Can definately decorate easily with that theme.

Also like the Princess theme. She is really girly (as in won't leave the house without make-up and hair done perfectly...even to take out the trash).

Could make her the Princess of three year olds...never grow up like Peter Pan icon_smile.gif Or Princess of the 29 forever gang.

So many ideas....which one to do?!
Jodie

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:41am
post #21 of 28

can you do something with the princess/girly theme and say something like "and she was 29 happily ever after." Then you can just do all princess-y stuff for your deco and for the cake you could do a pillow cake with a tiara.

edited to say that I am turning 30 in Sept and have some people plotting horrible things. But no one else does cake so I get to be in charge of that at least. icon_rolleyes.gif

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:52am
post #22 of 28

I am also turning 30 in July and kind of dreading it. I was planning on celebrating the anniversary of my 29th birthday. I love the pink, white and black cakes that have been done on this site they are totally girlie and I would just put "29 forever" on the cake icon_smile.gif And of course white, pink and black decorations. Good luck! You can tell her I said Happy Birthday at the party and I am dreading mine too icon_wink.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #23 of 28

I love the "and she was 29 happily ever after" ... how cute! I'm turning 25 at the end of the month and though it is not "technically old" I am really dreading it ... not sure how I want to spend it. I did not like the princess theme until I read the "ever after" part ... that kinda made it less "kiddy" somehow. You could even watch "Ever After" if it would work.

JRAE33 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #24 of 28

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I love the "and she was 29 happily ever after..." Princess theme! Adorable. It's completely fun and she can enjoy her day as Princess and not have to think about the dreaded 3-0 icon_smile.gif I'll set everything up in pink. Too cute! My 4 year old daughter thinks she's a princess so we have lots of things to borrow from her for the party. And I have until July to come up with lots of Princess things. Thanks again! This is going to be so fun!!

Jodie

P.S. Watch for my post as July nears asking for help making a pillow cake icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 28

If she's really girly, I vote for the princess theme! If she's seriously sensitive about it, you dont' have to reference what birthday it is, just a simple "Happy BIrthday".

To add to the list, turning 30 wasn't bad, turning 40 was fabulous and I am SO looking forward to being 50! No "over the hill" crap for THIS baby boomer! Birthday parties have never been a big deal in my family but I'm throwing myself the biggest 50th birthday bash ever!

(And it is NOT a wive's tale about women peaking at 40! Wow! icon_wink.gif )

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:52pm
post #26 of 28

So many July Brithdays. WOOOOOHOOOOOO. thumbs_up.gif

And By the way, NEVER tell your children you REAL age. icon_eek.gif They will NEVER forget it. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif NEVER. icon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:22pm
post #27 of 28

Oriental trading company also has a lot of great princess themed goodies! I am doing a princess theme for my 3 year old and got some cute tiaras there!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:30pm
post #28 of 28

what about a "going away" or bon voyage type of party theme? Since the 20's are going away...Maybe the cake could even be those luggage looking cakes. Maybe a passport with stamps in it from stages or places in her life that she's "been".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%