First Wedding Cake Due The Day After My Baby Shower

Decorating By Lillybelle Updated 1 Jun 2007 , 8:29pm by Lillybelle

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 6

My friends have planned a surprise baby shower for me on the Saturday before I had committed to do a wedding cake (for the first time) for another friend of mine (on Sunday). They just discussed the confict and told me, so I just found out - surprise over.

Anyhow, now I don't know what to do. I had planned to use Friday afternoon and all day Saturday to prep for this wedding cake, which has very minimal decorations, but will be covered with fondant. Now, I am not sure if I should try to squeeze it all in and just start the cake earlier in the week or if that is asking for trouble. People are flying in for my shower, so I dont want to cancel. At the same time, I have been committed to this other friend for 6 months for her cake. I don't want to cancel on her either.

For a Sunday wedding, has anyone baked and covered cakes with fondant all on Friday night and then just assembled on Sunday morning? If yes, how did you store the cakes? Refridgerater? Freezer? Leave it out?

5 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 6

I would just start a day before and have it all finished by Friday night. Then you can enjoy your Sat without worry.

You can store it just covered up with saran wrap unless you have to put in the refrigerator.

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 6

I have completed wedding cake tiers as early as 3 days before the wedding without any problems. The cakes are sealed so you dont have to worry about them becoming stale. HTH

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 6

That is the inevitable curse of the cake heads - when you have a big order, you will end up dealing with a too full schedule. Kind of like when you get all the orders at the same time icon_smile.gif.

You should have no problem making the cake on Friday and sending it out on Sunday as long as your cake starts out moist -a good recipe - then plastic wrap it as soon as it's cool enough to take out of the pan - and keep it somewhere airtight or in a cake dome. You shouldn't have to refrigerate the cake unless it's already filled. But if you do need to refrigerate, it seems like this only makes them more dense and moist.

I sometimes do my cakes over three days - bake one, fill and decorate the next, and deliver on the third. Do whatever you can so you can enjoy YOUR big day!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 6

I agree. I might put them in the fridge though. Its hot here in MD right now so I wouldnt leave them sitting out. Dont know what the weather is like where you are. But what time is the shower? Maybe do a little bit before the shower. You probably wouldnt feel up to doing it afterwards since those things are exhausting even if your not prego!
But I have a habit of having 3 cakes due the same day so I will start them early in the week and then two days before finish one, and then the next. That way Im not stressing.

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, for the encouragement. I think I am going to start earlier and try to do it all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%