ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH DH CAKE MIX

Decorating By cakesondemand Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 10:24pm by Anna31

Missyleigh Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 2:03pm
post #121 of 228

We have a Aldi's in our town I use almost all of their products they are great...They are a very cheap store. They are also unique.You have to rent a cart for a quaeter and when you are done you return to the store and get your quarter back. you also have to pay cashj or debit only. They have great products and great prices if you have never been there I suggest you try it out

kdhoffert Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #122 of 228

My husband and I were talking about all the people complaining and what not and he commented about maybe the recipe that they use now having to do with the transfat? Never really thought about it, but that could be something. If anyone has a really old box and a new one maybe you can compare and see.

shipleyc Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #123 of 228

I am soooo happy to have found this thread!!! I have never had anyone complain about the way a cake tasted until last month. The only thing I could figure out was that I must have messed up the instructions. I thought I must have put to much oil in or something. I always use Pilsbury mixes, but this was the end of a long stretch of cakes so I was down to the end of my mixes. I had one DH mix and borrowed another from a neighbor to avoid going to the grocery store that day. That was the only thing out of the ordinary. I have made DH cakes before too and no one had ever complained about them either.

aobodessa Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #124 of 228

Okay, Everyone, I sent an e-mail to the parent company for Duncan Hines, outlining the problems I have personally been having with their mixes. Here is the response I received via e-mail:

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your thoughts and concerns
about Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Classic Yellow Cake Mix with us. We
have forwarded your comments to our Marketing and Product Development
groups for review and consideration as they continue to improve existing
products and develop new items. We are working hard to provide you with
the kinds of products you want, and it is important for us to know when we
do not meet your expectations.

We are sending you a coupon via Postal mail, which you can expect to
receive within ten to fourteen business days.

Sincerely,


Teresa Madden
Consumer Services Representative



I will keep you all posted on any further info .......

Odessa

meghanb Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:32pm
post #125 of 228

I found this thread very interesting! All the complaints about shrinking and sinking - I found this to be my problem with BC, and I had to switch to DH! I just made a lemon pound cake using the recipe from their box about 2 weeks ago, and it turned out great. I wonder if the mixes are any different in Canada?

jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:09am
post #126 of 228

This is just on problem I don't need. UGH.

jackfrost Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:26am
post #127 of 228

icon_sad.gif

redpanda Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:41am
post #128 of 228

I have noticed that I have needed to start sifting my DH cake mixes, because they are almost always clumpy when I dump them into the bowl. I wonder if the reason I haven't had any problems is that I started sifting?

Anyone who sifts having problems with DH?

RP

HollyPJ Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:09am
post #129 of 228

I just baked 2 14-inch layers today using DH German Chocolate mixes and my standard doctored recipe. They rose just fine, but they shrank a whole lot--much more than in the past. I just happened to see this thread afterwards! I just hope I don't have any problems when I go to ice and decorate them.
*sigh*

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:28am
post #130 of 228

Do you all tend to see them shrink then crack???

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:36am
post #131 of 228

According to information we received in another forum I belong to, Proctor and Gamble sold the DH brand to Pinnacle Foods, which has reformulated the product. They say that consumer research says they like the new formula better, but I disagree. We all told them how we felt about the new formula, and we all received a form letter stating that tests prove the new formula is better. I switched to Betty Crocker, with the exception of certain flavors I cannot obtain through BC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

shipleyc Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:03pm
post #132 of 228

I don't remember mine cracking, but there were a lot of air holes in the cake. It looked like a big sponge. The customer complained that it was dense. (Whatever that means.)

aobodessa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:57pm
post #133 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

According to information we received in another forum I belong to, Proctor and Gamble sold the DH brand to Pinnacle Foods, which has reformulated the product. They say that consumer research says they like the new formula better, but I disagree. We all told them how we felt about the new formula, and we all received a form letter stating that tests prove the new formula is better. I switched to Betty Crocker, with the exception of certain flavors I cannot obtain through BC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif




Maybe this gives us TWO reasons to write letters: 1) to Pinnacle Foods to tell them in no uncertain terms that we are NOT SATISFIED with the changes they have made to a great product, and 2) to BC or Pillsbury to request they add the flavors we all loved previously at DH.


Also, to shipleyc: If I had to guess, your customer's comments that her cake was "dense" was because the cake wasn't baked completely through, even though it may have tested as done. If I cut one of my cakes in half, edge-to-edge, then look at the cross-section, the middle 1/3 of the cake (horizontally) is now dense, not baked completely through, and like a sponge with water in it. It may have tested as "done", but it clearly wasn't. Unfortunately, no amount of baking has ever cured this problem.

I don't know what else can be done to correct this situation but for us to all keep writing letters and e-mails. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, generally, and we should be able to squeak pretty loudly as a group.

shipleyc Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm
post #134 of 228

Thanks for that reply. I was wondering what on earth she could have meant. I am definitely writing Pinnacle Foods a letter they cost me $25!

projectqueen Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #135 of 228

This is a very interesting thread. I, too, have noticed some of these problems.

Has anyone contacted Wilton to see why their endorsement seal has been removed?

Just curious...

aobodessa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #136 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipleyc

Thanks for that reply. I was wondering what on earth she could have meant. I am definitely writing Pinnacle Foods a letter they cost me $25!




I think we all need to continue to bombard Pinnacle with letters and e-mails about these problems. Check back through this thread; I posted the e-mail response I received from Pinnacle ... looks like I'm getting coupon(s) for some free cake mix(es). icon_rolleyes.gif

formerbuckeye Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #137 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I have noticed that the stores around me are BARELY keeping DH on the shelves...just the basic flavors and thats it...Looked like Betty crocker had most of the shelf space in all of the stores.. They might be discontinuing a lot of the flavors




I live in Richmond, VA and I'm saddened to say that I've noticed the same thing happening in the stores. As a matter of fact, I have used Pillsbury for the last three cakes I've made because when I went to Kroger they had no DH FV on the shelves. I've always used DH for my cakes mix cakes, but based on this thread, I guess I'll change to another brand. You would think that DH would take note and address this situation. thanks for all of the ideas.

Sandra

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:17pm
post #138 of 228

I to would like to know why Wilton took their name off of the package

hockeygirl658 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:03pm
post #139 of 228

So I bought 10 boxes of DH Butter Recipe Yellow last night. (.88 a box!) I only bought them because of the low price. I usually use BC and I was leary of DH after seeing this thread.

But my reason for buying them......The Wilton seal was on the box. icon_eek.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:05pm
post #140 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

Has anyone contacted Wilton to see why their endorsement seal has been removed?





When did this happen??? I just checked all of my boxes and they all still have the Wilton endorsement on the top of each box. I know they're all pretty new because the "use by" dates are late 2007.

kdhoffert Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:06pm
post #141 of 228

The ones here in Indiana at Kroger still have the Wilton seal on them too. If you mix the DH mixes with the pound cake like someone else said, does it still taste like the DH cakes, or is there a major difference? I remember it being said that doing this eliminates the holes and cracks and stuff too.

redpanda Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:13pm
post #142 of 228

The ones from Walmart in California have never lost the Wilton seal, either. However, they no longer have the tiered and large cake instructions inside.

hockeygirl658 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:15am
post #143 of 228

So here is my report on the DH mixes I got last night. The first cake baked up well. I will tort it tomorrow, so I don't know how the middle looks yet.

I have to say that BC is easier to work with as far as mixing goes. DH is FULL of lumps. I tried siffting. It jammed my sifter up and had to take it apart. TWICE! icon_mad.gif
I noticed that DH requires far less water (milk) than BC does. Maybe that is why it clumps up so bad. Because there is extra moisture in the mix already? Just guessing.

Anyway, that is my two cents for now. If the middle of my cake looks like poo tomorrow though I think I might loose my marbles. I still have 6 more layers to bake for this wedding cake and don't enjoy the possibility of starting over. thumbsdown.gif

StandingForJesus Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:26am
post #144 of 228

I use DH mixes all the time, but I don't make them according to thier directions on their boxes and I receive many wonderful compliments for the taste of my cakes. However, when I make the DH Butter Recipe, I have nothing but problems to the point that I won't use it anymore. They would either not rise or would rise and sink in the center. I have wasted so many mixes because I've had to do them over and over again. I won't buy anymore of them and I've removed them from my list of cakes I offer.

I'm not even sure since I don't use Pillsbury, but do they have a Butter Recipe, or does anyone know of a better than DH Butter Recipe?

hockeygirl658 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:43am
post #145 of 228

BC has both Chocolate and Yellow Butter. That is what I normally use, but at .88 a box I couldn't pass up the DH. Mine look beautiful on the outside so far. No sinking or cracking and they rose up beautifully.

I used an extra egg, a box of pudding and buttermilk. Plus a bottle of red food color (Red Velvet Cake) for each mix. Although I doubt the food color had much impact on their sucssess or failure.

formerbuckeye Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 10:41am
post #146 of 228

This is weird! I have one box of DH spice in my pantry. It has an expiration date of Oct '07 and still has the Wilton seal on it!! icon_surprised.gif

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 1:35am
post #147 of 228

Just bought several boxes and they all still have the wilton seal,
but to my sorrow I am getting cakes that look like a sponge inside even though I sifted to remove the lumps.
But they did not sink.
so frustrating. icon_cry.gif

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #148 of 228

Just bought several boxes and they all still have the wilton seal,
but to my sorrow I am getting cakes that look like a sponge inside even though I sifted to remove the lumps.
But they did not sink.
so frustrating. icon_cry.gif

tmdoxie Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 9:36am
post #149 of 228

I just started cake decorating in September. However, before I started, I used to always buy Duncan Hines because it just seems like there is more volume and the cakes seem to be more moist. My mom will buy whatever, and since I've been taking Wilton courses since last month, I;ve been going through a lot of white cake mix. The other day she was like I bought you some cake mix and when I went to her car to get it, it was Pillsbury, which would probably be my second choice. I don't really have much experience with Pillsbury other than their strawberry, but I'm thinking about making a practice cake just to see if I like Pillsbury. Anyway, I'm digressing.

The other day, I had to make the first cake for my course three class. The square cake sank (LIKE I heard it deflate) as soon as I turned it onto the cooling rack. I think a big part of it was my fault because it was too much mix for one pan. I always add a box of pudding to my cakes and it ended up rising above the pan. I only bought one pan. icon_sad.gif
Now I dont know what to do. I've got a cabinet full of DH cake mix and I've got to use it, I'm broke. icon_smile.gif

aobodessa Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:50pm
post #150 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdoxie

I just started cake decorating in September. However, before I started, I used to always buy Duncan Hines because it just seems like there is more volume and the cakes seem to be more moist. ....

The other day, I had to make the first cake for my course three class. The square cake sank (LIKE I heard it deflate) as soon as I turned it onto the cooling rack. I think a big part of it was my fault because it was too much mix for one pan. I always add a box of pudding to my cakes and it ended up rising above the pan. I only bought one pan. icon_sad.gif
Now I dont know what to do. I've got a cabinet full of DH cake mix and I've got to use it, I'm broke. icon_smile.gif




First, WELCOME! I hope you learn some really great techniques while you're with us at CC. We're here to help!

Second, I would say go ahead and use up what stock you've got ... no sense throwing good money away. I would suggest you try one of the "doctored" recipes ... adding other ingredients can sometimes help these mixes.

Lastly, make sure you read through this entire thread when you have time ... there may be other helpful suggestions.


On a side note: I was at my local Kroger store this weekend, where DH mixes were only 89 cents!!! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%