Drawing On The Cake

Decorating By Athoora Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 1:47pm by Fishercakes

Athoora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Athoora Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 12

Hello every one, could you tell me pls what is the easiest and most guranteed way to copy a draw on the cake? I'll cover my cake with fondant, I've read about the way when you copy the draw on parchment paper then trace it with royal icing, when it dries u press it on the cake, out line then fill in, I didn't try it and I'm not sure that the royal icing won't break or fall when I press the cake, and will the details be clear enough? any help is really appreciated. icon_confused.gif

11 replies
cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 12

I'm a newbie decorator, but I've heard alot about (FBCT) frozen buttercream transfer. I'm going to try that before I do my daughter's bday cake in 3 weeks. I did try the piping gel transfer where you print a reverse image and then lay waxed paper on top and trace with piping gel, then lay that on top of the cake and go over it with the decorator brush, remove and fill in with icing. I didn't have a great outcome with that method. I tried it with pooh and all the details of his face didn't show up on the cake (guess I didn't brush it enough). I'm hoping I have better success with the FBCT. I've also heard of a toothpick method where you prick the outline on the cake as you cut away parts of the drawing. Haven't tried it either.

Not sure how the royal icing outline would turn out because I heard it wasn't good to eat since it's very hard and sweet. Good luck!

yvesyong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvesyong Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 12

what I learned in a local decoration class is to use compound chocolate. Compound chocolate is chocolate that firms up in room temp.

first you print a picture in reverse, lay a piece of plastic on top. melt compound choclate and put in a piping bag with small hole. test to make sure that the chocolate squeezes out nice and smooth. use it to outline the picture. when done, leave the chocolate outline to harden. to quicken this, put in the fridge. Then transfer it carefully onto the cake.

this metho never failed me before. see the winnie the pooh cake in my gallery.

hope it works for you too.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 12

You can get a cheap projector from local craft stores that will project the image right onto the cake.

Stephanie

Athoora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Athoora Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 12

I guess tha the easier thing is to get a projector! I'll get one ASAP Thank u icon_smile.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

You can get a cheap projector from local craft stores that will project the image right onto the cake.

Stephanie

I have a projector that projects onto the wall ... Other than the KOPYCAKE, I have not heard of one that projects onto a cake (especially one that is inexpensive).

It's tedious; but I cut paper stencils to transfer my images onto buttercream. Never tried it on fondant.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 12

Or you can use the pin prick method. Lay your design on paper against the fondant covered cake and use a small pin to mark the fondant on the lines of the design.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 12

I have a projector that projects onto the wall ... Other than the KOPYCAKE, I have not heard of one that projects onto a cake (especially one that is inexpensive).

It's tedious; but I cut paper stencils to transfer my images onto buttercream. Never tried it on fondant.[/quote]

Michaels sells one that is not made for cakes, but works and is cheep. THere have been a lot of threads about it on here before. There is a arm stand that you can purchase that allows it to be mounted above the cake. I believe that if you use your coupon, you can get it for like 20?

Stephanie

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 12

I've used similar to the piping gel technique but instead used food marker...it works alright.

Or when I'm lazy I just draw it in freehand with a toothpick.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I've used similar to the technique but instead used food marker...it works alright.

The food marker stays wet enough to transfer the image? What do you mark it on? Waxed paper?

smbegg: I'll check out that projector at Michael's some time (when I have a coupon). Couldn't find it on line.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I've used similar to the technique but instead used food marker...it works alright.

The food marker stays wet enough to transfer the image? What do you mark it on? Waxed paper?

smbegg: I'll check out that projector at Michael's some time (when I have a coupon). Couldn't find it on line.

Yes use a good food marker, and you do have to draw kind of fast.... I think it works fine but it might not make a dark enough impression for some.

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 12

I prefer to use the pinprick method. I usually can get great detail transfered to the cake using this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%