And Then There Was A Cake Ball Cake.....long

Decorating By ashley87 Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm by ashley87

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 6

well....I tried to make a golf ball cake, using the ball pan, and set it on a tee. Already had the tee made with rice krisipies and fondant, with a dowel through. Went to ice the ball, before covering and fondant, and the disaster started. It wouldnt ice well, wouldnt hold together. Well, then I tried to cover it in fondant. It was moving all around, and the bottom had smooshed from sitting it down to cover. Well, then it just looked awful..it was a blob and the fondant and cake and icing were all outta wack...so I took off the fondant to try to redo but the cake was all in crumbles.. icon_surprised.gif ..So what can I do?? well...I made cake balls! Then, I arranged them onto a board like a tee and golf ball and covered in icing. Viola...a cake! Interesting..but a cake. It was for my dad, thankfully, and he told me that he would love anything I brought, no matter what it was..and it was pretty yummy..but there sure was a lot of icing! haha... I was just happy that the disaster turned into something edible! icon_smile.gif I will post a pic when I get them uploaded once I get off work.

5 replies
Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 6

Glad it turned out ok in the end. Can't wait to see it!

mommyerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyerin Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 6

My kids and I did a golf ball cake for my husband's birthday a couple of years ago and it was tricky to frost. We didn't try fondant, though. I can't see that being very easy! How do you get it to go around the bottom smoothly without wrinkles?

ashley87 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 6

well that was one of my problems. The fondant wasnt too smooth, and the whole cake inside was moving around, so I went to redo the fondant and make more, and the whole cake was in pieces.

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

Last week a friend and I tried to make petit fours. What a waste of time. We ended up making cake ball. They turned out great! Cake Balls are awesome!! icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see the picture of your cake.

ashley87 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 6

Here is a pic. The tee was garnet, but it looks black in this pic for some reason!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%