Royal Icing Drying Time?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 6:45am by xstitcher

sugarMomma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:31am
post #1 of 4

I was going to make coral for a shell cake, and was debating on whether to use royal icing or candy melts. I know the royal icing is probably sturdier, but how long will it take to harden?
The cake is due this Saturday afternoon.

3 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:51am
post #2 of 4

If you make it really stiff and don't pipe it too thick, then if you do it asap, it'll be dry by Saturday pm. I piped royal icing pearls on a wedding cake last night, and they were dry to paint with lustre dust this morning. Hop that helps - good luck!

gismo12002 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

I'm new at the RI but read that 48 hours--Doing some today and will find out! Good luck!

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:45am
post #4 of 4

Hi All,

I know this is a old post but I did not want to start a new one (I don't really know if I'm supposed to or not as I'm still pretty new here to CC) but I have a question about drying time as well.

My Wilton instructor told us that it takes at least a couple of weeks for RI to dry? Is this correct? The reason I ask is that my 4 year old accidentally knocked some of my RI flower and my colourflow birds for my class II final cake. If I make more tomorrow (both the RI flowers and the colourflow) will they be dry by the time I need them for class on Tuesday?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%