Taste Test Results #2!!

Baking By CupOfButter Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm by daranaco

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 37

Hi Everyone!

Since everyone was interested in my first taste test results, I decided to post the results to my 2nd taste test. This one had 25 people with each 1 bringing 1 guest for a total of 50, and was a lot of fun!! AND even though I did not charge my customers I made almost $300 in tips!! The first one I got nothing!! One of my best customers made a big deal about the tasting and handed me a $10 which I reluctantly took and then everyone was digging in their purses/wallets! Made things even BETTER!!!!

Italian Cream Cake
Standard Recipe made with rum and cherry juice - 34
Doctored white cake icc recipe - 3
Popular internet recipe - 13

Red Velvet Cake
Standard Recipe - 21
Doctored Red Velvet Mix - 5
Doctored German Chocolate Mix - 3
Cake Central Recipe by Sarah - 21

Carrot Cake
Standard Recipe - 41
Doctored Mix - 1
Carrot Cake III Allrecipes - 8

White Chocolate Cake
Standard Recipe - 18
Doctored Mix - 9
DeDe Wilson's White Chocolate Cake - 23

Lemon Cake
Standard Recipe - 23
Doctored Recipe - 22
Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake - 5

IMBC- 22
Traditional BC- 28

The results were interesting...and look at that doctored yellow cake - it was so close to the one I usually use that I think I will switch. It so much faster and easier to make!!

Now I am most definitely doing this again especially now that it is summer time and I have a little more time since the kids are home. I think people are most often looking for the best yellow cake recipe to use in their business. Last time 2 scratch ones got 1st and 2nd place. UBC from baking 911 and fluffy yellow cake. Since then I tried Sylvia Weinstock's recipe and I really liked it a lot so I want to do a rematch. If any of you have an out of this world doctored recipe- or scratch - you want to include PM me with it and I'll try it out. The biggest complaint that most people have and my only complaint about the doctored mixes is the lingering cake mix taste even when doctored. I find this especially true in white and yellow cakes that are doctored. The lemon doctored cake I think fared so well because the lemon taste eliminated that taste. Mind you I LOVE the ease of a doctored cake...Dump Mix and Done...OMG so fast and easy and I think nearly impossible to screw up unlike scratch cakes.

BTW someone asked me where I was from - I am in the North Texas Area.

36 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 37

Thanks for keeping us posted. icon_smile.gif

For your testings, do you always use the same brand of cake mix? What brand did you use for the lemon cake?

The carrot cake results weren't a surprise, nothing compares to scratch IMHO.

The white chocolate was a surprise; didn't realize the doctored mix was so bad. Am glad though, because I made a doctored mix and thought it was awful. Made me wonder why anyone would order this flavor.....

Interesting that even among adults, b/c had a slight edge over IMBC.

Look forward to your further taste test results.

(Your best customer was right on with the tip.) thumbs_up.gif

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 37

I would love to know where the recipe is posted for that Italian Creme Cake that won your taste test! Also the DeDe Wilson's White Chocolate Cake! Can you send those recipes to me?

Thanks for the info!!!

<S>

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 37

Thanks so much for this info!

I'm not surprised by the carrot cake results. Homemade carrot cake is unbeatable and, IMO, it's extremely easy to make--not as fussy as some scratch recipes.

Is your regular buttercream all-shortening, all-butter, or half and half? (sorry if you already answered that in the other thread--I haven't read it all yet.)

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 37

Thanks for posting your results. I mainly use doctored cake mixes, but I am going to be trying the homemade variety a little more in the future - especially on sample cakes I make.

When you state you used the "Standard Recipe" - which Standard recipe are you referring to? Are they all here on CC? I just want to compare your Carrot Cake and Italian Cream Cake recipe with the ones I always use.

Thanks again for your efforts - and congrats on such a great friend to start the tipping!!

Suze

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 37

If you're offering the recipes, sign me up for the Italian Cream Cake and Red Velvet!!

It's wonderful that you are sharing your results so we can all benefit!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 37

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but on the standard recipe, is that a box mix?
Also, I'll post a recipe for the carrot cake. It's my great grandmothers recipe and it is soooooooooooo good. Will call Mom for it and post in the next day or so. Try it at your next tasting.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 37

May I ask for the recipe for the Carrot Cake via PM please? My brother and husband both LOVE carrot cake and hubby is fine with a box mix but my brother is picky lol he said he doesn't want a box mix and he doesn't want one with baby food or shredded carrots and raisins.... so I'm wondering what recipe you're using to get such great results icon_smile.gif Also do you have a good icing for carrot cakes that is NOT Cream Cheese? My husband is deathly allergic to Cream Cheese so I can't have it in the house and do not offer it unless it's for a high paying job lol

Edited to add that if you are at all willing to share ALL of your recipes I'd love a copy emailed to me icon_smile.gif I'd greatly appreciate it!!! PRETTY PLEASE lol

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 37

Italian Cream Cake with rum and cherry juice.....would you be willing to share that recipe?

Also , the standard recipes you refer to, where are they from?

adknight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adknight Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 37

I must be hungry; it all sounds so goooood! I will take recipes if you are sharing! Congrats on the $$$

TIA!

***edited to say please***

NickyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickyA Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 37

CupOfButter, I am afraid that everyone is going to be asking for your tried and tested recipes, including me! If you are sharing, please include me !

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 37

The Italian cream cake with rum and cherry juice sounds delicious. If you're sharing recipes I would love it. Thanks for the test results.

przgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
przgrl Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 37

I am very interested in your recipes too please!! I just started making my cakes in a new bakery here in town and think this is a great idea! TIA

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 37

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on everything...the standard recipe is the recipe I always use icon_smile.gif Many of them are ones I have created after years of messing with them.

I used all betty crocker mixes this time. To the lemon mix I added eggs, oil water, white chocolate pudding, sour cream, vanilla and a little lemon extract. It was yummy!!

My BC is 2 parts butter 1 part hi ratio in cool times, and when the Texas heat is on its half and half. OhMyGoodies...I bought some cream cheese extract from Amoretti that is wonderful...I also have a customer who is allergic but loves the taste. I also use IMBC on them occassionally.

I don't mind sharing my recipes but I ask that they please not be posted on any forum or anywhere else on the internet. I have worked on some for lots of years trying to find just the right combinations and prefer they not be posted. Just PM me with your email address and I will try and get them typed up this weekend...probably Sunday when I am done with cakes. I will get them out to everyone ASAP.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 37

Wow sounds great and if your passing out the recipes I'd like the white chocolate one also. Happy testing!!!!!! Thanks

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 37

Hey CupofButter...what part of north texas? I live in Longview. I would also like a copy of that Italian Cream Cake recipe BTW. Thanks!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 37

Cross my heart!! I won't tell anyone the recipes if you share. I'd happily take all of them and keep them from anyone else! icon_wink.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 37

I love seeing these results. In fact I just made the UBC (I think those are the right letters) that was #1 in your last taste test today. So I'll get to taste that this weekend, and I cannot wait. I only wish that I lived in Texas and knew you and was invited to your taste test party! Oh, and I'll be PMing you. icon_wink.gif

And yeah, Congrats on those tips!!! That was so sweet!!! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupOfButter

If any of you have an out of this world doctored recipe- or scratch - you want to include PM me with it and I'll try it out.

Ooh, if you decide to do another round of chocolate cakes, I'd love to see the Double Chocolate scratch cake up against the "doctored" version of the Scott Woolley Fudge Brownie cake (found on egullet.com but I'm happy to send it to you, it's kind of hard to locate the final version on the egullet thread). There was quite a debate on that website as to which of the two was preferred - would be interesting to see what peoples' CUSTOMERS think about the two cakes side by side. (I personally tried them both and far preferred the Woolley cake.)

Just putting that idea out there icon_smile.gif.

Thanks for doing this, I am excited to try some of your other "top choices". Looking forward to your yellow cake rematch as well!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 37

Thank you so much CupOfButter for posting your results again, incredibly useful information. I find one of the hardest things about starting out in this business is finding good and reliable recipes from the millions out there. Having someone like you sharing their experiences is priceless! Thanks again.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 11:49pm
post #21 of 37

Just posted recipe for carrot cake. It's in the recipe section under keonicakes's (amy) carrot cake. It is so good! I'm not a scratch baker but this one is really good!

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:10pm
post #22 of 37

CupOfButter - you are my hero! I have always wanted to do taste tests like you are doing. As a scratch baker, I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you are posting your results!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:21pm
post #23 of 37

Wow...you made a whole bunch of cakes icon_surprised.gif and a whole lot of $$$ -which hopefully made up for your time/expense/labour.

You are inspiring me to want to do this, and the "each guest bring a friend" is a great way to get more "customers"

If you ever do any more tastings...def post the results!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:37pm
post #24 of 37

try the guinness cake. I really like that one. It is rich and chocolatey. Thanks for all your results.

prairiesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prairiesweets Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:02am
post #25 of 37

I think that taste testing is a great idea! I just wish I knew enough people to make it worth it. I am just getting started with my business and trying to handle 2 kids under 2 at the same time! I would love your Italian Creme Cake recipe and your Red Velvet Cake recipe, please? I am just doing the basic white, chocolate, yellow cakes, I would love to get some more flavors.
Thanks!!

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #26 of 37

May I have the Italian cream recipe? I'm excited about trying one with rum in it!

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:40pm
post #27 of 37

cup of butter,

please email your amazing recipes too!

thanks

Jodi

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:27pm
post #28 of 37

I'm so glad to see the scratch cakes are winning! If you are still sharing you recipes I would love them! You are so kind to share! thumbs_up.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:37pm
post #29 of 37

The wedding cake I made for my best friend was the White Chocolate cake with the raspberry filling. People were LOVING it and said it was the best weddign cake they ever had. Even my husband who HATES American cakes (he's from Europe) said it was pretty good.

Oh, and I would love your scratch recipes too - I'm a scratch recipe person only, so tried and tested recipes are great! and OF COURSE I wouldn't spread the "love" without asking you first! LOL

Melissa

Chericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chericakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #30 of 37

cupobutter,
Could you please include me in your e-mailings of your recipes. That is so fantastic that you got that many people together for a tasting. Great results!
I prefer to make a cake from scratch over using a boxed mix. Especially, ones that have won in a tasting. My email is [email protected]
Thank YOu!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%