Is It Tacky?????

Decorating By Cake_Mooma Updated 11 Jul 2006 , 12:01pm by LittleLinda

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:51am
post #1 of 23

O.K. ladies ( and Gents) I am turning 33 in September- labor day weekend. My mom still thinks that I am 2 and throws me HUGE birthday partys (that I still love) usually close to 100 people (family alone is about 70 people and add friend and there you go). Well I ususally get these dry, ugly tasteless cake from god knows where. Everyone knows that I don't eat cake, I wonder why? I don't want to sound ungreatful but they are just nasty and we would get together regardless because that is the last summer cookout our family has - another reason for the amount of people, everyone under the sun is invited. You to if you are in the area- Massachusetts. Lol.

Well the question is. is it tacky to offer to bake my own cake. I am a huge, huge , huge Louis Vuitton fan. So I have seen some of the purse cakes and I would love to have one at my party. I figured since it is a small looking cake I would set it on a half sheet or a 14 " round cake (we are hispanic we don't follow the tipical serving size so we need alot of cake). I am already making plans for my cake but I feel funny about telling my mom that I would make my cake and that she dosen't need to go buy her supermarket cake. I know that at this point alot of planning has gone into the party alread but I know not the cake. Example last years party was a carnival theme. Yes I am 32! We had the bouncer for the kids, she also rented the cotton candy machine, popcorn machine and the snow cone machine, again yes I am 32. But I love it there are a blast and no I am not the baby. I have alot of Louis Vuitton (some Fake and some real) to go by and I think that I would be able to pull it off, not as well as the ones posted here but I would give it a good try.

So help is it rude and tacky to bring my own cake?

Thanks,
Vic

22 replies
regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:57am
post #2 of 23

I think if you frame it by saying something like, "Mom, as part of my BDay celebration, there is a cake I have been dying to make, would it be OK if I made it myself for the party. It would mean so much to me."

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:59am
post #3 of 23

Nope. Well, actually, I don't know if it's tacky or not, but I can tell you it's not uncommon. LOL I have several women who order their birthday cakes from me, that is, they order the cake for their own birthdays from me! LOL

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:00am
post #4 of 23

if it doesn't offend your mom, then i'd do it---i don't think it is at all tacky--tell her that you want some new pics for your cake album--or just tell her to change to theme of the BD party to just a get together party

BTW--i told my mom one year that i'd bake my own cake, so not to go to the store icon_surprised.gif --she told me that if i wanted to yellow w/choc (box cake & frosting) that she could handle that, but i always want to be difficult (my words not hers) icon_smile.gif

back to the subject---talk to your mom, she love to have your cake but wouldn't ask b/c it is your day

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:00am
post #5 of 23

I think that if you ask, (begging might work too!!) if you can bring the cake. Just say you would like to try something new.....I have noticed that quite a few people make their own B-Day cakes. Good Luck!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:02am
post #6 of 23

no, not at all (i mean it's not tacky). You know what you like and it's your birthday... Go for it, I don't think your mom should care, if anything it would save her money.

Cake_Mooma Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:15am
post #7 of 23

Thank you all. But money isn't a big deal to her when it comes to this party. Every year they get bigger and bigger. So I can't hit her with the it will save you money. But I think that the it means alot and that I can add the picture to my album she will go for. She is very sensitive about the party she likes to do it all so I can have the best parties.

Thank you all for all the suggestions. icon_biggrin.gif

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #8 of 23

I think I would volunteer to,it doesn't sound tacky if you say you want to try something new.

kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #9 of 23

Nope, not tacky at all... And I'll be there icon_wink.gif (at the party...lol.)
Kelly

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #10 of 23

if she doesn't care about the cost maybe we can find another cc member in your area to do your cake! it sounds like a win-win to me, you get a yummy and good-looking cake cause you know us here are into that, and someone here gets a cake to do icon_wink.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 6:08am
post #11 of 23

I don't think it's tacky at all, i always make my own cakes. Just tell your mom, that you're dying to make this one design and would like to show off to all of your relatives, what you can do. Maybe let her buy a cake as well, if she has her heart set on it and just make yours smaller. Or if you can't bring yourself to ask her to let you make your own, just make it and bring it to the party and present it to her as a thankyou for all she has done for you by throwing the party. I'm sure you will be able to thunk of a way, to be able to eat your own home- made cake.
HTH

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 23

When my mom asked me what kind of cake I wanted this year, I told her one made by MissT. icon_lol.gif She laughed and said that then I would have to take care of it. She understood that I don't get a cake made by me very often - they are always for someone else!! icon_sad.gif I just wanted to know what it was like to have one of my cakes for my b-day. Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 23

Heck no!!! That ain't tacky!! Do what ya want...its your birthday!!!! If your family is anything like mine (doesnt offend easily, non-chalant about everything) then it shouldnt be a big deal!!! I am makin' my own this year...everyone is gone camping anyways!
And hey! Have a happy birthday!!!
xoxoxo
wendy

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm
post #14 of 23

Not tacky at all, I would talk to her and let her know how much it would mean for you to make your cake and do something special for yourself. Kind of like a birthday present to yourself. Tell her this would be a good opportunity for you to make something special that you can share with everyone.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 23

I made my own cake this year too. It horrified my brother that I offered to make it myself. I had to convince him that I wanted to try a new recipe. But I just didn't want another bakery cake. Plus, I did want to try a new white cake recipe with raspberry filling. I even sorta decorated it. Threw on borders, tried some corelli squiggles and a few drop flowers. It looked ok, but it tasted great.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 5:36pm
post #16 of 23

Hi there, I don't think it's tacky at all, after all it is YOUR birthday! Happy Birthday!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 23

I don't think it is tack. Of course I asked to make my cake this year also! icon_lol.gif I had been wanting to try a topsy turvy cake so this was a great chance to try it, there was a large group of people so i could do tiers and if it didnt' turn out just right... well It was my cake so I could improvise and be happy. My mom didn't take offense, she thought it was funny that I wanted to do my own. But I told her this year I would and any year after that she can take care of it! There is a local owned grocery store bakery that does all of their cakes/icing form scratch and the flavor is great, so I will probably get next years cake there.

Plus with my family there to try it I have gotten more orders from it So I can try more things icon_smile.gif most of my family give me an idea of what they want then I take it from their and design the cake. So from that one cake I have been able to try more things!

If it makes you happy (and your mom won't get offended) then go for it!

Leily

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:14pm
post #18 of 23

I don't think it is tacky at all either. Explain to Mom that you would like to employ some new techniques you have learned. Remind her that practice makes perfect. icon_smile.gif Good luck and Happy Birthday!!!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:18pm
post #19 of 23

I don't think it is tacky at all. Your mom probably didn't want you to "work" for your own birthday and that is why she didn't ask you. Do what you want and that is the only way you'll know that you can make your own cake AND eat it too!

Happy Birthday! 100 people for a 33rd birthday!! icon_eek.gif Wow, now that is a birthday party - have fun!

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:21pm
post #20 of 23

I don't think it's tacky at all. Go ahead! If I don't make one for my birthday, I usually dont' get one. I'm planning ahead for my Dec. birthday already!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 23

Make your own cake! It would not be tackey ... especially if everybody knows you are a cake decorator ... and if they don't, think of the business you might generate! You have a fun idea, go with it!

I live in Groveland, Massachusetts, where's the party?

Cake_Mooma Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 3:57am
post #22 of 23

thank You so much for all the help ladies. It has been fun reading them all.

Now for the verdict. I bought up the idea to her today and she was all for it. She didn't think that she could find someone to do the cake that I wanted ( the Louis Vuitton Purse) so she was really happy that I said that I would do it. She figured that since it's my b-day that I wouldn't want to "work" on any of my things. Again thank you all for the insite.

Vic

Oh, TheVienneaus I am in Leominster but my mom owns a house in Worcester. I have never even heard of Groveland and I have lived in Worcester since I was 7. Where is Groveland?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 12:01pm
post #23 of 23

You're about an hour away or so from Groveland. It is in north eastern Mass. Near Haverhill for a big city you should have heard of and near the Plaistow, NH border.

I'm PMing you about something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%