Should I Refrigerate A Fondant-Covered Cake?

Decorating By drwendy Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm by SweetStuff30

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 10

I will be frosting and covering my cake with MMF on Friday night, then decorating and delivering on Saturday afternoon. I live in Ohio and it is quite hot (85F) and very humid this time of year. Will refrigeration overnight affect my MMF at all? Is that the best place for it between covering and decorating/delivering? And once I'm done, will it affect my gumpaste flowers (which are drying out at room temp and humidity right now)? Thanks!

9 replies
ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 10

I think that it will be fine to put in the fridge. I know some people say to wrap in plastic wrap or keep well covered to keep from adding moisture. Im not sure about the flowers, but theres a bump!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 10

While it is okay to refrigerate a fondant covered cake, it will sweat like crazy once you take it out of the fridge. If you have the time, cover the cake in buttercream Friday night and early Saturday morning, cover in fondant and decorate. Make sure AC is on while decorating icon_lol.gif then deliver the cake in the afternoon. HTH.

Irishprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishprincess Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with doing the fondant on Saturday Morning if you can. I refrigerated a fondant cake on a humid day and the next day it looked like it rained on my cake once it came to room temp. wet fondant is NOT pleasant!
Good luck!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 10

Don't fridge it wrapped in plastic or you will never get the plastic off when it starts to "sweat".

It would really be better to ice, fridge, then do the fondant in the morning. Actually, you could do it all Friday night and leave it out and finish it Satuday and deliver.

I start my fondant cakes sometimes on Thursday and leave out working on them until delivery on Saturday with no problems. The fondant keeps everything nice and fresh.

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 10

I almost always refidgerate my MMF covered cakes... Ive never had an issue...slight condensation that dries right off...

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 10

I refridgerate all my cakes. Even fondant. they will only sweat it the humid summer months. It will dry up after a couple of hours.

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:32am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll wait to do the fondant until Sat AM. Supposed to be in the low 80's here that day, so I hope it will be OK until I get it delivered. The whole 'sweaty cake" thing just is not appealing, especially since I plan to do brush embroidery. Thanks all!

ChristianD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianD Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 10

I have a buttercream cake with some fondant accents on it. Is it ok to refrigerate it? It is cold here right now. Like 35 degrees. I don't want my accents sweating on the icing when the cake cools. Please advice. First cake with fondant accents.

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 10

i use mmf all the time and put all my cakes in the fridge covered in mmf and never had a problem with sweating. I take it out and let it sit for about an hour to soften up before ppl pick them up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%