Fondant Or Butter Cream

Decorating By smcintosh2801 Updated 31 May 2007 , 7:57pm by Tina_Mace

smcintosh2801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smcintosh2801 Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am doing a topsy turvy cake this weekend....
I have heard that it's difficult to cover in fondant..
Is is better to attempt a TT in Fondant or Buttercream?

Thanks so much for any assistance!

4 replies
countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

I have never made a topsy-turvy cake, but I do have the book, The Whimsical Bakehouse, and there are cakes in there that have the topsy-turvy look and it is all done in BC. I myself would probably attempt a BC one over a fondant one. I haven't covered a cake with fondant either as I am always worried that the fondant will be so dry you won't be able to cut the cake... icon_biggrin.gif

There are other books available like Collette Peters A Cake to Dream On. On the cover is a topsy-turvy cake using fondant.

Maybe one is better than the other...maybe someone else can help you better since I haven't made one yet.

BUMPing you up.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

smcintosh,

I found this tutorial on CC awhile back, maybe it will help!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

I have only done one topsy-turvey cake, and I iced it in buttercream. The look was not exactly what I wanted, and I think I could have achieved a more finished, polished look with fondant. I personally would rather use fondant, because I am too lazy to smooth out the buttercream!!! Give the fondant a try ~ if you can't make it happen, you can take the fondant off and re-ice in buttercream.

Good luck!

<Starkie>

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 5

I tried one a couple of weekends ago and was very frustrated. The tutorial is helpful, but if it is your first attempt, I would suggest not carving the sides and making them strait up and done (hope you understand this!) -- maily the bottom of each layer is smaller than the top and I couldn't figure out how to get the fondant smooth when you had twice as much at the bottom that at the top. My next attempt will be all buttercream. Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%