Turrets On Castle Cakes?

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 5 Jul 2005 , 6:13pm by sweeterbug1977

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,
I've seen so many awesome castle cakes here and wonder what is used to make the turrets? I really like the rounded look over the squared look but what is it? I like the tall turrets.

I read where someone used paper towel rolls but how would you make that tall, rounded shape out of cake so it's edible? If it's made out of cake, how does it stand up? Also, how do you attach the turrets in the standing upright position to the sides of the castle?

Thanks so much!
KimAZ

5 replies
magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:24am
post #2 of 6

if u want them edible you can use a round cookie cutter and cut the cake out and stack them ontop eachother and use a dowel rod to hold them together.. i have done that and i also use paper towel rings....

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:51am
post #3 of 6

Here are some instructions I thought might help...

http://www.webmall1.com/sweetdreams/castleinfo.htm

marym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marym Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 3:23am
post #4 of 6

I made a castle cake for my daughters 5th birthday last year and I used soup cans as cake moulds.
I washed then out, stripped the paper off the outside, greased and floured the inside and filed them about 1/2 way with batter. I then stacked 2 high and used icing to hold them together. It tasted the same as the rest of the cake and iced perfectly.

Hope that helps,

Mary icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 3:41am
post #5 of 6

While I have not made them, I know of others that have used Pringle Can that they cover with gumpaste/fondant. A helpful hint was to weigh the bottoms of them down by filling them with some beans.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 6

When I made my castle cake, I used Pringles cans covered in marshmallow fondant, then took sugar cones and covered them in marshmallow fondant as well. We did not need any extra cake (the base parts of the cake were huge), so I used the Pringles cans instead of cake. I attached the turrets to the cake with buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%