Filling Suggestions For Amaretto Cake

Decorating By melysa Updated 9 Jun 2007 , 2:52am by melysa

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #1 of 29

for a wedding...amaretto liquor cake- we need a filling suggestion. i have never done an amaretto cake so i dont know what to suggest. we kind of decided on dark bittersweet ganache- but i dont know , what else is there that would be GOOD? i am just thinking here...but could be totally gross, what about espresso buttercream/ almond espresso IMBC? madagasgar bourbon vanilla bc? help! open to suggestions...the bride hates apricot and coconut. anything else.....

28 replies
melysa Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:48am
post #2 of 29

no suggestions?

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:56am
post #3 of 29

This is my Amaretto Cake:

Amaretto Crème Brulee Amaretto and vanilla bean butter cake with caramel mousseline cream and sprinkled with crisp bits of caramelized sugar.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:09am
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle0123

This is my Amaretto Cake:

Amaretto Crème Brulee Amaretto and vanilla bean butter cake with caramel mousseline cream and sprinkled with crisp bits of caramelized sugar.

Oh my, that sounds wonderful! thumbs_up.gif Would you be willing to share the recipe?
TIA

melysa Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:09am
post #5 of 29

making me hungry! do you mind sharing your recipe?

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:36am
post #6 of 29

The mousseline cream is from here:

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=913

Toward the bottom of the first post it talks about variations...I just add in caramel flavoring, the kind you would buy for gourmet coffees.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:42am
post #7 of 29

Apricot, or chocolate BC.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:39am
post #8 of 29

I have to go look at that recipe too!!! Sounds soooooo goood!!!

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:00am
post #9 of 29

Mmm!! icon_razz.gif I've never made an amaretto cake, but I have a friend who refuses to eat any other kind of cake than my chocolate truffle cake with amaretto filling & almond buttercream... So I think chocolate or almond filling would be pretty tasty with amaretto cake! Or what about cherry filling?

melysa Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:39am
post #10 of 29

well, i cant do cherry, or any fruits i guess because it is going to be a crooked cake, where the tiers actually tilt so any thing that will slide, i am afraid to use (october wedding). that is why i wanted to stick with a stable ganache or buttercream and just flavor those. what about almond or espresso buttercream or flavored ganache? does the espresso buttercream sound gross? maybe alternating layers of that and dark ganache?

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 29

I think almond would be easy to fall back on, because you KNOW it'll be good - I hadn't thought about espresso, but that actually might be pretty darn tasty! Try it out! You have a little time, right? Maybe just make a practice one to see if they go together. I bet it will. Sounds nummers! icon_razz.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 29

http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm

Lots of filling recipes! I don't remember how I came across her website dunce.gif

Stacie

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:02am
post #13 of 29

I have one in my pics... I made amaretto cake with apricot filling, IMBC with sides coated in toasted almonds slices and chocolate dipped apricots.... Everyone loved it.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 29

If it is a crooked cake I also would go for stable fillings, the espresso cream is really nice, i used it in my last cake (used instant expresso powder), if you want to add something extra, you can put a thin layer of melted dark chocolate under the filling, not to much, just that it gives a nice crispy effect and chocolate taste.
Ganache is always a good choice (says a chocolatelover icon_biggrin.gif ) Another taste that probably would do well is adding Baileys Irish Cream to the BC (I only make the IMBC), i used that one with a freckled mokka cake.

Goodluck with the ideas and your cake! icon_smile.gif

melysa Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartacadabra

If it is a crooked cake I also would go for stable fillings, the espresso cream is really nice, i used it in my last cake (used instant expresso powder), if you want to add something extra, you can put a thin layer of melted dark chocolate under the filling, not to much, just that it gives a nice crispy effect and chocolate taste.
Ganache is always a good choice (says a chocolatelover icon_biggrin.gif ) Another taste that probably would do well is adding Baileys Irish Cream to the BC (I only make the IMBC), i used that one with a freckled mokka cake.

Goodluck with the ideas and your cake! icon_smile.gif

thanks for the suggestions, do you have a recipe for the espresso cream?

also, what is your ganache recipe...i've always used milk chocolate, but its not too stable when whipped especially, so i am experimenting with different chocolates and notice that they all have their own thicknesses based on their cacao content....also depends on ratio to cream/choc. thanks again for sharing.

Tartacadabra Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 29

Hi Melysa, the recipe for the BC (creme au beurre, we call it here in Holland) is made with a mix but tastes/looks a lot like the recipe of IMBC, so all the sugargrains are resolved.
Anyway, the amount I use is: dissolve 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder in 2 tablespoons of hot water. Whisk in 3 cups of IMBC. Mix until smooth and complety blended. But you could also use another type of BC ofcourse icon_smile.gif
Instead of the water you could also use some coffee liqueur.

For the ganache I always use dark chocolate, no less than 65% of cacao but I think that is personal. I use the same amount of chocolate as of whipping cream, for instance 200 gram chocolate and 200 ml whipping cream. I heat the cream until almost boiling, and put in the chocolate (chopped into pieces), stir and let cool really well before whipping the ganache up. I hope this is any help to you!

Good luck with your cake!!!

PD. I don't know the amounts in cups and ounces, sorry!!!

Jopalis Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:27pm
post #17 of 29

I used the chef taz recipe from CC this past weekend on the big cake I posted. It worked great! The shells are piped with it ... not whipped. I would be careful of slilppery stuff if topsy turvy....

melysa Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:24pm
post #18 of 29

jopalis, that cake is very yummy looking!

tartacadabra, thanks for the information. i like the bittersweet chocolate with 65% cacao in it too, that is some seriously stable ganache.

here is the cake i am to replicate (ron ben isreal design) ...it WILL be covered in fondant, and i plan on using styrofoam wedges to support the tilts.

http://www.wedlok.com/uploads/weddingcake.jpg

and here are the filling suggestions that i just made to her:

amaretto liquor cake w/

-thin layers of dark bittersweet chocolate (crisp layers) topped with espresso italian meringue buttercream layers
-layers of espresso italian meringue buttercream w/ toasted almonds
-layers of dark bittersweet ganache infused with orange oil

let me know what you guys think. which would you pick if any of these? or- what do you think would be the best for an overall crowd pleaser?

grooms cake is to be carrot cake with cream cheese icing and satin ice fondant (vintage nintendo game console- fun wedding couple!)

Tartacadabra Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:27am
post #19 of 29

Hi Melysa, the cake you are going to make looks spectacular!! About the fillings, really, really difficult to choose, they all sound wonderful to me.... but I think i would go for the first one icon_smile.gif

Goodluck with your cake!!

Greetz,
Lara

Jopalis Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:45pm
post #20 of 29

Melysa, you could also consider layering in some merengue discs...dacquoise.... You could make them espresso flavored or chocolate or anything.... That would add an interesting crunch too. Would be yummy with the IMBC.

melysa Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #21 of 29

thanks guys, the bride is indecisive at this point...though she has decided that the filling needs to be mellow cause she wants amaretto to be the obvious focal flavor. ...however, she still chose dark ganache originally- i think that will overpower the amaretto...am i wrong?

Jopalis Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:08pm
post #22 of 29

I think the two are complimentary. Depending upon the choice of chocolate, it could be overpowering..... Something lighter like IMBC would allow the amaretto flavor to come out.... What if you did IMBC and added the chocolate in the form of merengues or chocolate curls.... I did that on mine....

melysa Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 29

yeah, see thats what i am thinkin' with the DARK bittersweet ganache that she chose- that it would be overpowering- but then again, i have never had amaretto cake! also, regarding imbc, i have only made it once, and not a huge fan of it.i didnt flavor it other than the little vanilla in the recipe but milk chocolate imbc sounds good. how do you think it would hold up in the tilted / stacked cakes? seems like at room temp it would be slippery. ????

melysa Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #24 of 29

what exactly do you mean by meringues? like little baked meringue disks? kind of like those crispy little , oh what are they called? argh, sorry, brain slipped there, cant think of it....divinity ?

Jopalis Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:01pm
post #25 of 29

Not sure if it would be too slippery with IMBC... Shirley W could tell you but if you don't like it ... skip it. Dacquoise are the merengue discs.... Cake Bible has some...... I haven't used yet but plan on it for an upcoming mousse cake..... What about white ganache over.... Does she not want BC?

melysa Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:37pm
post #26 of 29

nah, buttercream is too ordinary. its a crazy cake, it needs a wow on the inside too.

Jopalis Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:35pm
post #27 of 29

What is outside...did I miss that? Fondant?

Tartacadabra Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 8:15am
post #28 of 29

Well, this is not easy so I can read icon_wink.gif but I also think just as jopalis that chocolate and amaretto are complimentary flavors. If she wants the dark ganache (which is very stable, good point of it for you icon_wink.gif ) maybe you could put a little bit of amaretto in it, most of the time you don't really "taste" it but it gives a bit of a smell/light accent to it.
White or milk chocolate would also be allright I think but makes it very sweet, i don't know if she wants that and i have to say that dark chocolate is very powerful but also "neutral" (as they say in chocolate world icon_wink.gif )in combination with other flavors.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

melysa Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:52am
post #29 of 29

jopalis, yes, fondant on the outside with madagasgar bourbon vanilla underneath. amaretto liquor cake- likely with dark bittersweet chocolate ganache..... and

i think that is a good idea to add some amaretto to the ganache. i think i had suggested that when we did the consultation, but we didnt decide for or against it...so i'll try it out and if i like it, i may suggest it to her again to see if thats what she wants.

thanks guys for the advice on this. i appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%