My First Wedding Cake Disaster.... I Hope Im Not Cursed

Decorating By bakerboy6385 Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm by Housemouse

bakerboy6385 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerboy6385 Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #1 of 9

This happend a week before memorial weekend... I think on the 20 of May...of this year 07... I had to deliver a make...to the Marriot in LAX... Los Angeles International Airport.... It was my first cake I had to deliver to a big hotel... Well It was time to deliver and I was 30 minutes behind schedule....I had to deliver the cake and park my SUV... in the loading dock of the Hotel... it was a big tunnel and it went underground.....well there I went to drive down... weeeeeeeeeee...lol...jk... I parked and Opend the back of my SUV... as I opened the door.. A BIG CHUNK of the 18 inch Cake Feel on the FLOOR... I was so disapointed...The cake has slid against the door and I didnt even notice... I wanted to scream... The man that helps out at the loading dock who had the cart to transport the cakes...saw the disaster... I was so confused I didnt know what to do this cake was unreparable.... the cake craked on the opposite side... I didnt know what to do...this was the only cake I could not repair..How could I with almost a 2/3 of the cake on the floor, on the door of my SUV.... and it was the only cake with out a book I think if I would of had a box I could of saved it... I was the worst ... I had to get together with the hotels party cordinator and come up with a plan I got together with their pastry chef and had them come up with some other cake..and I was lucky cause the cordinator called on their staff to fix the problem they are the best.. ... that cake the 18inch round feed more then 100 people the cake I made feed 300 guest.. I had to chat with my customer... apologies...to them... It was a reck...a bad one... horrible...I hope Im not cursed.. so that is my worst ever cake disaster and I want to put in the past....even thought it happend like just a week ago.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #2 of 9

oh god luv ya! my mouth was hanging open the entire time i was reading this. oh my gosh, i'm not sure how I would have pulled this off. sounds like you did a good recovery. Big hugs to ya!

Pick up some of those non-skid mats. I get mine at the dollar store. Non-skid mats: $1. Ease of mind while transporting: Priceless thumbs_up.gif

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:57am
post #3 of 9

OMG, I really feel for you. I can't imagine something like that happening.

I had to do a cake recently and the girl who ordered it asked me to deliver it to her SIL and she would take the cake the rest of the way. Well, I was so nervous that something would happen to that cake. I kept calling to make sure they transported it right. Right then and there I decided that I would deliver all my cakes myself.

How did your customer take it? Were they understanding?

bakerboy6385 Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 9

They were really understanding.. It was scary talking to them... about the cake accident..but the bride was so understanding and of course the chef played a big part they had cake in the back of the house...and it was enough for everyone....but yeah thanks for commenting..im so buying the non slip matts..thanks...

cakeartdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeartdiva Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 9

I'm having one today. Cake is ready to go and I just realized I used the wrong icing. Should I call her beforehand to let her know or just show up and apologize profusely and offer her a free cake?

bakerboy6385 Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 9

what kind of wrong icing..is it realy bad... ?//////////

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:20am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeartdiva

I'm having one today. Cake is ready to go and I just realized I used the wrong icing. Should I call her beforehand to let her know or just show up and apologize profusely and offer her a free cake?

Yes, let her know in advance if you can.

When someone is hosting an event it isn't the time or place for the vendor to show up and start negotiating to make up for a mistake. (Mistakes happen, but handle them off-stage.)

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 9

So sorry to hear about your cake!! I've had something similar happen... and all I can say is that we learn from our mistakes AND sometimes accidents DO happen. I'm glad you were about to salvage everything with the bride. Definately go buy yourself a roll of shelf gripper (whatever it's called!) I have that stuff everywhere, and keep several pieces in my car for cake transporation. It's the best! Keep your chin up!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 9

No you're not cursed - you're just not immune to all the things that can go wrong. All you can do is learn and move on - you're not doomed to a life of decorating hell! Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%