Types Of Fondant.....what's The Best????

Decorating By SugarBlossomCakes Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 6:48am by MicKindle

SugarBlossomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBlossomCakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 53

Okay, so as far as fondant goes....what does everyone think is the best? I hate Wilton.....but I have tried Satin Ice and like it. Has anyone tried Pettinice or Choco-pan or anything else? Thanks!

52 replies
emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 53

MMF for me! Just because it is so cheap to make it as opposed to buying it.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 53

I'm not sure, but I agree with you - Wilton is the worst!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 53

I like satin ice. It kinda taste like mmf don't you
think?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 53

I like Satin Ice--both regular and chocolate a lot.

I like the taste of Fond-X, but it's so stretchy and prone to elephant skin that I'll only use it for small decorations, ropes, etc.

I'm so-so on Pettinice--I used it once and found it only marginally better than Wilton in smell, texture, and taste.

I've tasted Massa Ticino and I'd like to try it--it's Colette Peters preferred brand--but I don't want to order a quantity of it until I need it--maybe around Christmas.

As to Choco-Pan, it's great stuff all around, but I find it very, very cost prohibitive, so dollar-for-dollar, I can't beat Satin Ice--yet.

Rae

da_goof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
da_goof Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 53

what is satin --ice and where can you get it i never heard of it or the other kinds of fondant only marshmellow kind.

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 53

I just recently tried MMF, and haven't gone back to anything else. It has the best taste and texture, and its very easy to work with. I love it!

~Nicole

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 53

I think the mmf is way better than the Wilton one.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 53

I've used Wilton for years, then I discovered Satin Ice and Pettince, and more recently MMF. I will NEVER, EVER buy that horrible Wilton fondant again! It amazes me that they're the most prominent cake decorating company but they make the worst tasting product! It's like they didn't even try to taste test it, and every cake website I've been on - even Wilton's own discussion forums - no body likes it! Satin Ice is great and easy to work with and a nice flavor. I found Pettinice to be dry and didn't like the flavor, but I heard if you get the kind in the buckets it's better - I've only tried the foil wrapped ones because I don't want to spend the money on the big buckets. Which is another thing I love about Satin Ice - it's so easy to store it in its own containor when you're done and not worry about it drying out - which is really hard with Pettinice foil wrapped packs. Anyway, then I discovered MMF, and I now classify my life as BMMF and AMMF (before MMF and after MMF). Just kidding. But seriously - that's all I've used since I tried it! It's cheap, it tastes a hundred times better than most store bought fondant, and I never have problems working with it. Other than it takes longer to dry, which is a good and bad thing - it's good because then you have more time to work on something before worrying about it drying up - which has really been a plus for me - but it can be bad if you're trying to dry something hard - you're better off using gumpaste or adding Tylose or GumTex(sorry about my spelling!) to the MMF if you need something hard. It does take time to make it, and it makes a mess, but it's worth it. It's allowed me to really experiment with fondant like I never have before, and be proud of my work and not have to tell people to peel off the outer layer, because it's embarrassing to have someone think I made something that tastes so horrible (as when I was using Wilton).
Another wonderful thing is that if you need to color a large amount of fondant, you can do a whole batch when making it while the marshmallows are in the "soupy" stage - before adding the sugar - so you can make a whole batch of pink, red, ivory, whatever. This is especially helpful when making black (I have a race car cake, a leather jacket cake, and a Star Wars made with black MMF), because you can actually make chocolate fondant but add in the chocolate gel color at the same time. It takes a lot less color to make black when you start with chocolate, plus it tastes better! And it's so much easier to just stir in large amounts of color at once than trying to knead it all in later. This really came in handy when I was doing a wedding cake a couple months ago and was covering the whole thing in ivory, so I just made all my batches in ivory . Anyway, hope some of that will help you out!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 12:19am
post #10 of 53

Pyxxydust - Thanks for the tip about adding the color before adding the sugar to MMF. I just made a small batch of it to taste and to play with to see if I like it. After I melted the MM I kinda wondered if color could be added at that stage. I was amazed at how easy it was to make. I can't wait until tomorrow to play with it. Oh yeah, and it tastes good too. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarBlossomCakes Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 1:37am
post #11 of 53

Well y'all...I have never made MMF, but I think you have all convinced me. Is it that good, and also, is it that easy to make????

SugarBlossomCakes Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 1:38am
post #12 of 53

Oh, and what is everyone's fave recipe for MMF?

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 1:46am
post #13 of 53

I have only used mmf except one time when I tried the Wilton. I will not be using the Wilton brand again. It doesn't even compare to mmf. I also have tried the chocolate mmf and it's great too! Oneday I may try the Satin Ice because I've heard so many good things about it, but for now I'm sticking to mmf!!!

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 53

I just bought 3lbs of Pettinice. Local cake dec. supply shop here repackages the buckets of it into 24oz bags.

Haven't tried it yet, but it hs to taste better than Wilton.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 4:02pm
post #15 of 53

I started out using Wilton's fondant but switched to MMF. MMF is so easy and inexpensive to make. I love the taste too. I hated kneading the color in the MMF but yesterday after I messed up so many batches I decided to add the color to the melted marshmallows which made it much more easier to work with.

Eventually when I stack up more $$$ I will try the Satin Ice fondant. I heard it was a great fondant not only in taste but in texture too. My local cake supply store sells a 5 lb bucket for $12.99.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 10:57am
post #16 of 53

fondx is now my fav.. tastes divine but a little soft to work with.

RTR Pettinance is excellent to work with but a bit waxy in flavour.

Orchard dries and cracks to easy but tastes ok.

Home made is delicious but fiddly to make and expensive.

My vote is for fondx

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 53

I made MMF for the first time, it was great.

My only problem was I probably should have added something to make it harden faster. It stays fairly moist even when dry, if that makes any sense.

But it did taste great, and was very easy to work with. Also very cheap to make.

It gets my vote.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 7:56am
post #18 of 53

Some day in the Future I will be paid to extoll the virtues of CHOCO-PAN!!!!!!!!

I love it. I feel like I may be the only one who has tried it, but, Oh well, Y'all are missing out!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 53

I must be a freak. I like Wilton's. So do my kids icon_smile.gif

I have also tried Satin Ice and I like it, and I love MMF.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:35am
post #20 of 53

ok so now after reading all these i have it narrowed down to (i too am going to try fondant for the first time) mmf or satin ice. for someone new to it which is easier to work with, for the most professional looking outcome?

Pyxxydust Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:31pm
post #21 of 53

As much as I love MMF, if you've never used fondant, you're better off using Satin Ice so you can get a feel for how to work with it. If you start off making MMF and have never used fondant, then you won't know when it's too wet, too dry, or just wet. Also, you have to do some things different when using MMF such as greasing the rolling surface and so forth that you don't have to do with regular fondant. So if you're just starting out - go with the premade fondant for convenience and to make your life a little easier! And of course it saves time - it justs costs more.

Have fun!

charmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charmie Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:43pm
post #22 of 53

Hi I am new to cake decorting. I have tried mmf but didn't know I had to grease the board. What other things are different about it verses the wilton bran?

charmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charmie Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:44pm
post #23 of 53

Hi I am new to cake decorting. I have tried mmf but didn't know I had to grease the board. What other things are different about it verses the wilton bran?

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:48pm
post #24 of 53

I just got a pail of Virgin Ice and am going to use it for the first time today. I figure anything has to taste better than the Wilton fondant. I haven't seen Satin Ice in my area so I'm not sure if it is available here. Hopefully this will be just as good... I haven't tried the mmf yet but have read a lot about it on this website, everyone seems to really like the taste.

Pyxxydust Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:49pm
post #25 of 53

When making it - make sure you grease the bowl you melt the marshmallows in, the bowl you mix it it and the attachment (if using a KitchenAid or something to help mix it up), and also your hands when kneading it. When rolling it out, make sure you keep the rolling area greased with Crisco, as well as the rolling pin. When rolling a large amount out, I sprinkle powdered sugar down also. Some people use cornstarch, but I find it gets all over the place, so I use powdered sugar. But if Im just rolling a small portion, I just do it on the greased portion of the rolling surface. Also make sure you knead it on the greased surface so it doesnt stick. When using regular fondant, you dont grease the surface and the rolling pin or anything but you do have to use a lot of powdered sugar (I used one of those shakers that sifts it as it comes out) to keep it from sticking. Also, I found with both types it helps to warm it up for a few seconds before kneading it or rolling it out.
I hope that helps a little!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #26 of 53

So how do you make chocolate MMF? I've only made it once and had a ton of trouble w/ it..... guess I did something wrong. It was kinda sticky I think.... I just remember the directions said something like "if it's too dry, do this", but it didn't tell me what to do if it was too wet..... I dunno. Haven't worked with it in awhile. I still love rolled buttercream and I added some Wilton fondant (b/c it's already made, easily accessible for me, and I don't think it tastes much like anything - but it just blends in w/ the rolled buttercream). I want to experiment more w/ rolled buttercream b/c I think the taste is superb. I've also tried Satin Ice - but the smell of it reminds me of Play-doh for some reason. I didn't think it had much of a taste to it either by itself so I didn't "ooh and ahh" over it. I really haven't worked with it too much though.

So that's my opinion - and my question still is how do you make chocolate MMF?

Pyxxydust Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:09pm
post #27 of 53

You add already melted unsweeteene chocolate while the MMF is in the melted marshmallow stage. I got the recipe from Cake Central, I think - but I'd have to check it to be sure - I think it was only one square per batch - maybe two. It does make it a little wetter, so you may have to add more sugar to make it less sticky. But I used that to my advantage cuz I did a leather jacket cake and that extra "softness" gave it a more leather-like sheen. I also did Star Trek and race car cakes, so the glossy-black apperance was what I was looking for. Then again, perhaps that different texture was from the black food coloring? I don't think so, cuz you have to use SO much less when trying to get to black from a chocolate color than from white, but I've never worked with chocolate fondant that I didn't color black, so I don't know for sure. But it sure does taste good! Yum yum! It's almost lunchtime and now I'm getting hungry!

chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:14pm
post #28 of 53

I don't find the homemade fiddly or all that expensive compared to the premade stuff I've seen. It's no harder than baking a cake or making playdough.

Pyxxydust Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm
post #29 of 53

Actually, I mean that buying Satin Ice was more expensive. Sorry. I tend to jump around a lot when I'm getting my thoughts out! The cheapest I've found Satin Ice for the smallest bucket is around $12. Pettinice is slightly cheaper but I don't like it as much, so I don't use it at all.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:24pm
post #30 of 53

Wilton is the worst tasting....Satin Ice works very well.

I have been using MMF for all my projects....easy...cheap....can flavor it....color it....I actually can make a batch in about 6 minutes...with one bowl and one spoon!!! What's better than that?!

What I will never make again is the fluff version of mmf....it just doesn't harden enough for me. Perhaps it would work nicely on sugar cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%