Making Fondant Figurines

Decorating By Deepa Updated 31 May 2007 , 2:49pm by Spoiled1

Deepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deepa Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:40am
post #1 of 5

How do I start? I tried winnie the pooh but the fondant seemed to dry very quickly and looked cracked. Where can I find a step by step guide?

4 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:51am
post #2 of 5

Go to the polymer clay section of Michaels, JoAnns, hobby lobby or whatever craft store is near you. Start looking for books. Remember, clay figures are built from the bottom up and from the outside in. Hope that helps some! icon_smile.gif

staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 30 May 2007 , 9:38am
post #3 of 5

i always keep my fondant in an airtight tub while im working. so if for example im making a bear, ill get out the fondant for his body and put the rest in the tub, shape the body making sure its smooth and theres no cracks, then ill get out the fondant for a leg, put the rest in the tub, make the leg and attach it, then take out the fondant for the other leg and so on and so forth!

this prevents the fondant from drying out on your work surface while your fiddling around with a bit of it! otherwise, it dries and when you try to model with it you get the crack lines....

hope this helps!

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:47am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Go to the polymer clay section of Michaels, JoAnns, hobby lobby or whatever craft store is near you. Start looking for books. Remember, clay figures are built from the bottom up and from the outside in. Hope that helps some! icon_smile.gif

I've been doing just that! Plus, every time my son plays with his Play Dough, I start looking at the tools and seeing if I can use them for gumpaste icon_biggrin.gif

I found on Ebay some great E-Books on creating faires and such from polymer clay that I think will work great with gumpaste. I will be making Tinkerbell for a cake in June and am hoping these tips will come in handy.

Spoiled1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoiled1 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

I tried winnie the pooh but the fondant seemed to dry very quickly and looked cracked.

I was having this prob. and asked about it myself and it was suggested to add a bit more shortening (I use MMF) and it has been working well for me.

HTH
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%