Adding Chips To Cake Mixes

Decorating By 8Tracie8 Updated 30 May 2007 , 1:21pm by 8Tracie8

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:49am
post #1 of 8

I am new to cake decorating and am getting bored with the typical yellow/chocolate cake mix and need to jazz them up. Can you add chocolate chips (or whatever flavor chips) to a cake mix? Will the chips be suspended in the cake mix or will they float to the bottom? Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #2 of 8

toss 'em in.

the more (esp. chocolate) the yummier.

usually no problem w/ them sinking if batter is thick enough.

have fun experimenting w/ different flavors (like mint in chocolate, butterscotch in yellow or chocolate)

oh and mini-choco chips are fun to use because they sort of melt just enough that you know there's "something" there but are not totally sure it is a choco chip (just did this for a cake this past weekend-- lot's of "and what did you add -- can't quite tell but it sure is good!")

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

I sprinkle the chips on top of the batter rather than mix them in the batter. When mixed in the batter they tend to sink to the bottom. When you sprinkle them on top, they will sink enough to mix but wont' fall like a rock.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:37am
post #4 of 8

Barefoot Contessa tosses the chips with a little flour so that they don't sink.

When I first read the title of your post I thought WTH???? chips? in a cake??? icon_confused.gif
(My mind went to potato chips icon_biggrin.gif )

8Tracie8 Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #5 of 8

Adven68: So I put the chocolate chips in a bowl and add a little flour..... toss them around a bit and then dump them into the cake batter? Is this correct?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Tracie8

Adven68: So I put the chocolate chips in a bowl and add a little flour..... toss them around a bit and then dump them into the cake batter? Is this correct?

yep....this is what Ina does on her show....personally, I have not tried it, but I would trust her....she seems to know what she's doing. icon_smile.gif

juliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliecake Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 8

I always leave a little dry cake mix in the bag, toss the chips in those and then aadd to ren\\maining batter. No sinking chips and no need for extra flour.

8Tracie8 Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate the feedback. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%