Help Transferring Large Fbct

Decorating By jayla Updated 31 May 2007 , 12:32am by jayla

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 29 May 2007 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 7

I have to put a large fbct on a full sheet cake. When I have laid down previous large fbct, they start to break in half when I try to flip them over.

Can anyone give me some tips to help with my transfers?

jayla

6 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:09am
post #2 of 7

Gonna bump you up, because I have no experience in that, and am hoping our fellow FBCT experts will help you out! GL, Jen

jewels625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels625 Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure how this would work but I have a large cookie sheet with no sides except one -I believe it's a Wilton cookie sheet maybe 14x20. I was thinking (because I love doing fbct's and the last on was pretty big) -that I could maybe put the cookie sheet in the freezer for a bit, put that carefully face down on top of the fbct, flip it all over and then get it aligned (quickly and fairly close) over the cake and then gently slide the cookie sheet out from under the fbct?
I would think as long as it doesn't flex or have far to fall onto the cake it should work. Hope this helps! Good question

jayla Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:41am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the advice.

jayla

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:47am
post #5 of 7

How about putting a cardboard over it and flipping it over. Then just scoot your cardboard over to the cake and slide it off, into place, and peel your paper off after??????? Yeah, that was as clear as mud!!!!!!! icon_confused.gif lol

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:59am
post #6 of 7

For large transfers I use a big piece of plexiglass so that I can see through it too! I put the image I'm tracing taped to the underside of the plexiglass, and when I'm done, I take a peak to see if there's holes or gaps in the FBCT. it's also a really stable piece.

While doing the FBCT I tape down my parchment paper/wax paper/saran wrap to the top side of the FBCT so that it won't wiggle AT ALL. When I'm ready to put it on the cake, I keep the plexiglass on and just flip the whole thing onto the cake. Since it's see through, you can align it fairly well - the bigger your transfer, the more PRECISE you need to be though as you can scootch over a small round one, but they get more difficult the heavier they are.

Anyway, once I have it aligned and have it in place on the cake, I then peel off the tape holding it to the plexiglass. Then, I peel off the parchment/wax paper/saran wrap off the fbct. Of course, all of this needs to be done in like under 2 minutes!

I haven't done bigger than a 9x13 and one about 14" round though, but I'm assuming this would work for all sizes.

My suggestion would be to try this method or others mentioned with an "empty" fbct. Like make one blank, but freeze it and try putting it on the back side of your cake pan that has a thin layer of buttercream on it. I would HATE for you to make a HUGE FBCT and have the thing fall apart on you!

Melissa

Melissa

jayla Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:32am
post #7 of 7

thanks for the helpful info. I will try it.

jayla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%