Help With Doll Cake Pan And Baking

Decorating By catscakes Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 2:02pm by Lousaria

catscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscakes Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,
I am just making a doll cake for the first time using the Wilton pan. I have made 2 attempts (first time I blamed it on the recipe) but second time used a tried and true. My problem is that the cake does not rise to the top. Is this normal? The first one I measued out 6 cups of batter and it was not to top when done. The second time I used a two layer recipe. Not to the top again. Now I just made a second round layer cake to put on the bottom. Can someone please advise me if I am doing something wrong? Also it said to cut off uneven bits or it would crack, I did so and THEN it cracked a bit at the bottom. Thank you icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:37am
post #2 of 5

I have made several. You do need a dense cake, I usually eyeball the amount and fill the pan up quite high and do NOT trim . I tried once using a batter that wasn't so firm, but that was a disaster, so now, they are dense. Depanding on how many servings you need, you can put the cake on s smaller round, but here the parties aren't so big, so I never did.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 2:52am
post #3 of 5

I agree with Ursula40, you have to have a dense cake.

I fill just a little under the top rim. When it is done, I immediately use a dish towel and push the top down flat and then let it completely cool before removing from the pan.

I love doing the doll cakes. You can check out my dolls located in my photos.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 5

I have also made this pan alot and the tips I can give are....depending on the mix you use eg: Betty Crocker,DH,Pilsbury etc....you may need two mixes.Here in Canada I use Betty Crocker and I need two mixes to fill that pan.It needs to bake for a fairly long time.I bake mine for about an hour and a half.Check with a wooden skewer.I also press mine down when it comes out to flatten.Make sure th pan,and centre tube are greased really well.

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 5

I've made the doll cake 3 times, but I've only used the Wondermold pan once (Cinderella). I always use 2 cake mixes as well, but I trim mine. I also make an 8" round cake to set it on. It makes the skirt a little longer therefore making her legs look perportioned to her body. I think the Wondermold mold pan on its own isn't tall enough. Also if you are going to torte it you can cut the top into 3 layers and have the separate cake for the 4th layer. This makes it easy to cut the cake too. I just cut down the top 2 layers all the way around first, then you cut the bottom 2 layers. This way you won't have long skinny pieces to serve. Good luck with yours

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%