Sometimes I Have To Wonder....

Decorating By MSurina Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 5:42am by Isaby

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 37

why I bother to post my cakes. I think that I do a really good job, but then I look at them beside all of the other cakes on here. My cake looks gross, and very unprofessional. I just wonder, why do I even bother???

Sorry, just a little down in the dumps today. I'll get over it soon.

36 replies
itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 37

Don't let it get you down.....

EVERYone on here had to learn what they do. Keep practicing, and you will get better. This site is not full of professional photos only. Some of them are absolutely, jaw-dropping amazing, and some are not. If you look at all the photo galleries, you'll see the whole range.

I look at some of my first cakes and they are downright laughable icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif . I should post them in my pics just to give you a good laugh today.

Something you will see over and over again in these threads are that we are always our own worst critics.... don't be too hard on yourself...there's no need for that. I think that you are better than what you believe, and you will get better and better with each cake you do.

Hope you have a good day!!! icon_wink.gif
Denise

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 37

I just looked through your gallery, you have nothing to be ashamed of!! Just keep it up and keep practicing!! and don't forget to have fun

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 37

I know just what you are talking about! I feel the same way. Soemtimes, I don't even post a recent cake because I don't feel it's good enough. You're not alone....Hope you have a better day! icon_biggrin.gif

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 37

Now, that is not true! I looked at your photos and you have very nice cakes. Some of us are newer than others but that doesn't mean they are not good cakes. Not every artist is Picasso and not every cake decorator is going to be the best all the time. Don't be so hard on yourself. Think of how proud your kids are of each cake you make. That is what I remember every time. My kids think I made a masterpiece every time. If you look at MY photos you will see that, that is not the case, but regardless I am Picasso to them! Hang in there! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 37

Don't be so hard on yourself! Cakes take time, I still need a lot of work and I know that. If I didn't post my cakes here I wouldn't get constructive criticism to know what I did wrong or could do better. I hate doing star work because it kills my hand, but it is probably my best medium so far... so sometimes we have to just suck it up and take a good laugh or two. In conclusion, your gallery is nice, don't feel less of a decorator, everyone is starting from some where! Here's a smile for you!

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 37

I feel that way. It took me almost a year to finally post pictures. Now I know that pratice will help not only my cakes, but my self-esteem too. Hang in there and remember CC is here to encourage and teach us. I love your fondant turkey. He is too cute! I think you should be very proud of your work. icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 37

I thought your cakes were nice! Sometimes I feel that way, too. There are some amazing cakes on this site, and you can't help but feel that you don't measure up sometimes. But today I was with my aunt and cousins, and there were going on and on about how pretty my cakes are. I bet there are people out there who love your cakes, and think they are spectacular, even if you don't. Hang in there and keep practicing!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 37

Cake decorating encompasses many different elements and techniques, and each and every one requires practice to master; in looking at your photos you have tackled many of these in a short amount of time(fondant, buttercream, fbct, marblized fondant, figures, flowers, speacialty tips, cookies... to name a few) pat yourself on the back for trying each of these out! Give yourself a break, I think you have done great!
It takes time in working with each type of technique to get it right, before you know it you will finish a cake and find yourself smiling because you like what you have accomplished!
thumbs_up.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 37

I feel the same way hun. I just looked at your cakes and they are great! When ever I post a cake I hardly ever get comments and when I do I'm so tickled!!! But I just feel like "why bother" when I'm not even happy with the way they look.... But your cakes are great! You can make roses... I can't icon_cry.gif

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 37

I think as long your customers are happy of your cakes and you getting some profit from your cakes what the problem, I do a really simple work on my cakes, and let me tell you my customers love them, I guess they are tired of nasty cakes at walmart lol.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 37

This is not a site for competition, but a site for gathering ideas and encouragement. There is no contest going on, and no one wins or loses here (unless they enter the contests, which is optional). Everyone has to start somewhere. I ought to post my very first year of cakes....you'd downright vomit, that is how bad they were. I attribute Cake Central to any success I get with a cake, because I get on and get ideas, I read the articles, I ask for help when I need it in the forums...this site is a Godsend!! I pay attention to everything people say here about tips on cake baking/decorating. I think I learned by working hard and following the good advice offered. People all have different styles, ideas, interests, and perspectives. Please keep posting!! Don't be ashamed....you've worked hard!!

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:58am
post #13 of 37

Your cakes look great. I'm very jealous of your fondant abilities, I have a very hard time with fondant in general, let alone the figurines.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:36am
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepal

This is not a site for competition, but a site for gathering ideas and encouragement. There is no contest going on, and no one wins or loses here....

Absolutely!

I luv your turkey cakes! I could NEVER make those cute figures like you did!

And I also have my hidden cache of photos that I'm very likely to never show anyone! Oh geesh, they were so bad! icon_redface.gif

Goodness, sweety, none of us started out being any good! We all (starts with "S", rhymes with "plucked")!

Don't give up! thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:45am
post #15 of 37

First of all let me start by saying that I read your post and then went to your photos. I looked at each one and commented. Then I came back here and in all honesty, I haven't read any responses (I'm pressed for time and I just wanted to give my opinion without reading others' first).

I think you are doing a really great job on your cakes. Yes the first ones weren't as good as the more recent ones, but I'm sure at least 80% of the people on this board, if not, more, started out making cakes that they look back on and feel that they could've or should've been better. It's all part of the learning process/curve. The more you learn (techniques, hints, etc.) and practice and putting learned techniques to the test, the better you get. It's that simple. You're starting off very well. Don't get disgusted now. You've already improved from your first cake til now and if you keep going you'll keep improving!!

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the near future.

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:52am
post #16 of 37

Hi, you shouldn't get discouraged. Your cakes and cookies are great and you will get even better. Just keep practicing and don't be too hard on yourself. No one is born knowing how to make perfect cakes icon_smile.gif Just keep doing what you love and have fun, it's most important. Good luck and hope to see more of your work!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 37

Check out my photos I have posted every cake I ever made in order that I made them go back to my first page all the way to my most recent cake they weren't always ok some of them are pretty bad but I kept on practicing and I fell proud of all of them and look forward to getting better, keep on baking don't give up

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:57pm
post #18 of 37

I feel the same way about my cakes but I don't make a lot , so I know that the more I practice, the better I'll get !! Everyone does icon_biggrin.gif

jjs1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjs1227 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:43pm
post #19 of 37

I was watching the "Next Food Network Star" star this weekend and they had to decorate a wedding cake for the contest and your cakes could beat thiers. (I know it made me feel better not being a professional myself) There wasn't one cake there that I couldn't duplicate, and the winner was a very simple cake covered in fondant with small poka dots. So just think you could a better cake than these T.V. contestants!!!!!!!! Hope that makes you feel better! icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #20 of 37

Oh goodness.. I feel the same way. I am apprehensive about posting a cake picture sometimes because I don't feel that I am any good.. or at least not as good as a lot of ppl here.. but keep practicing and it'll get better. The one good thing about cake is.. you can always eat the evidence.. icon_wink.gif

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 37

You're not alone. I feel the same way, too, sometimes. But, I remind myself that I've done my best and that I will only continue to get better as I practice and decorate more cakes. I've already gleaned so many tips/tricks/ideas from this site that have helped me improve... and you will, too! Your cakes look good now... nothing to be ashamed about. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to post your finished creations!! thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:59pm
post #22 of 37

I hear you some of these cakes are show room quality, mine needless to say are not either. I look at it this way in life, there is always someone better off than me and there is always someone worse off than me. Look at the joy you bring doing for others. We do get a little better here and there, practice does help I'm learning that late. Cough , Cough 52 here. Anyway , keep pressing on. Your stuff looks good to me. Whenever I feel down about my cakes I go take a look at the grocery store to see what people are paying for. Now that's depressing. Sorry for all you good decoraters in the grocery Dept. We need you in my neck of the woods. Hahahahahahaha.........................Don't give up or give in!!!!!!! Keep baking..............................

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:02pm
post #23 of 37

Don't let it get you down. We all have to be beginners at some point. I have only been decorating for a little over a year and although I do my best I don't expect my cakes to look as good as someone that has been decorating for 10 years. (I wish they did LOL). People at work always think my cakes are the greatest, but they don't know any better. Compared to the beautiful work on this site, my cakes look like kindergarten.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:35pm
post #24 of 37

I too feel the same way. I know it takes time and tons of practice to get better. So i have hope. I try to look at the one nice thing i've done with my cake then the bad. There's a few cakes i've made that i couldn't even bare to take a picture of. There's other cakes i've posted here that are just horrible to me. But i figured i'll post them and share, good or bad.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:38pm
post #25 of 37

I didn't read every post that's been made since the first one so I hope I'm not repeating someone. Don't get discouraged! Look back at my cakes. I started out not even knowing how to ice a cake. I always baked a cake in the pan & iced in the pan. I never even knew how to take a cake out of a pan icon_smile.gif Some of my cakes are really sad but I had to start somewhere. I have gotten better in 3 years & hopefully will continue to get better. I'm still not a pro eventhough I hope to be one day! thumbs_up.gif Don't get discouraged. icon_wink.gif Just keep practicing & don't be afraid to try new techniques & take more classes & ask lots & lots of questions. You will only learn more & your talent will improve~ icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:11pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

.... I always baked a cake in the pan & iced in the pan. I never even knew how to take a cake out of a pan icon_smile.gif

omg that's right! I remember that was the only way we had cake as a kid! And we fought over the middle piece because it was bigger, because of the doming! Trim it? Make it flat on top? Heck NO ONE had ever heard of doing that?

We've come a long way, baby! thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:25pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

.... I always baked a cake in the pan & iced in the pan. I never even knew how to take a cake out of a pan icon_smile.gif

omg that's right! I remember that was the only way we had cake as a kid! And we fought over the middle piece because it was bigger, because of the doming! Trim it? Make it flat on top? Heck NO ONE had ever heard of doing that?

We've come a long way, baby! thumbs_up.gif

No doubt!! We have come a long way baby!! icon_wink.gif So if we can get there anyone can!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:50pm
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepal

I ought to post my very first year of cakes....you'd downright vomit, that is how bad they were.

ROFL!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My feelings exactly! It seems like I get better with every cake (almost)! You are making people happy and practicing a skill! That's the only way to learn - by just doing it over and over until you've mastered it! I have several cakes I won't post because they are downright awful! (I know no one would judge, but I don't even like to see them!)

Just keep doing what you're doing - I saw your cakes and they're great! I know many people who couldn't do what you can already do! You've done a great job! thumbs_up.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:14pm
post #29 of 37

I too am my own worst critic. i know my last cake was a disaster by judging hubby's reaction. i could tell he hated it and he usualy doesn't ever dislike my cakes. i knew it wasn't bad- just due to the high heat during icing and decorating it of course had troubles. i figured he'd like it more then he did of course but still. at least he didn't say he hated it.

it wasn't my best job but i did take the plunge and posted it as my first cake central pics though. got some good reviews but of course we all know they can't see the flaws up close icon_wink.gif hehe. i'll be sure to post my better ones later when i can gather them.

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:18pm
post #30 of 37

Gengen, that is a darling cake. I love it, it looks so happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%