Mini Marshmallows Or Marshmallow Fluff In Mmf???

Decorating By nathanikka Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm by llbean

nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 14

I was looking into making some marshmallow fondant, and in the recipe section, there are 2 recipes that have 4+ stars... and I wanted to get some opinions on which you think is better and why, if you would. I was looking at the easy marshmallow fondant with the marshmallow fluff or the MMF marshmallow fondant recipe that calls for mini mrashmallows. Can anyone tell me which they have used, if not both, and if you have a preference on either one. Please also let me know if one is easier to work with, taste, etc.

Thank you!

13 replies
nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 14

anyone?

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 14

Hello to a fellow Oregonian! I have only tried the mmf with the mini marshmellows and I sure thought it was easy , compaired to the Wilton home=made stuff (yuck). I think you are in for a real treat no matter which one you choose. Have fun!!

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 14

I actually made it with the large marshmellows and they worked great. It was really easy. They just puff up really big in the microwave if you use them make sure to have a large container. Have fun!

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 14

I've tried both recipes, and the one with the mini marshmallows gave me better results. I think that the liquidish form of the marshmallow fluff kind of throws of the balance of moisture and dryness in the recipe. I would recommend the mini marshmallow recipe from my experience. HTH
~Nicole

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 14

I would imagine that mini marshmallows might melt more easily...but I could be mistaken.

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 14

yes I agree with nicole0305, I tried the fluff and it just wasn't right at all. I like to use the mini marshmellows- melts faster.

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 14

I LOVE the mini marsh recipe (have not tried the other) One word of caution - use equal parts sugar and mm (mm come in bags of 10 oz, recipe calls for 16 oz - makes a HUGE difference in the outcome!)

Enjoy!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 14

Usually the bags of large amrshmallows are 16oz. I have a hard time finding 16oz mini's! They are the same thing, melt the same, just different sizes!

Frohdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frohdi Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 14

slightly off topic icon_biggrin.gif

I cannot use the bagged marshmallows because they have gelatin in them. I want to try making it with the fluff. I saw on the fluff website they had a recipe for it. Any hints on making it?

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 14

Be sure to coat your bowls with crisco helps a lot! I mix mine with my KA--it's a pro though-- I've used the MMF right away when I needed to and I've stored it (nuke a short 15 sec) and both work great. I spray a TINY amount of cooking spray on my rolling surface (often right on my table for large cakes) and it works awesome. I lightly cover my rolling pin w/ powdered sugar--- hope any of that will help you. if it's too sticky--add a little sugar. if it's cracking/too dry a teeny water or teeny crisco (TINY amount--like i'll wash and DRY my hands and the moisture still on my hands to knead it is enough usually). Love the fondant smoother tool too.

post #12 of 14

Be sure to coat your bowls with crisco helps a lot! I mix mine with my KA--it's a pro though-- I've used the MMF right away when I needed to and I've stored it (nuke a short 15 sec) and both work great. I spray a TINY amount of cooking spray on my rolling surface (often right on my table for large cakes) and it works awesome. I lightly cover my rolling pin w/ powdered sugar--- hope any of that will help you. if it's too sticky--add a little sugar. if it's cracking/too dry a teeny water or teeny crisco (TINY amount--like i'll wash and DRY my hands and the moisture still on my hands to knead it is enough usually). Love the fondant smoother tool too.

post #13 of 14

llbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbean Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 14

Do watch the package size as others have mentioned.

I recently tried the fluff b/c I had some on hand. It turned out so bad I threw it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%