Help Does Anyone Speak French?

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 2 Jun 2005 , 1:01am by SquirrellyCakes

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 26 May 2005 , 8:42am
post #1 of 17

My customer was supposed to get me the translation for something she wants on a cake and she couldn't find someone to translate it for her, can anyone please help me, I need it first thing Thursday morning to finish the cake.

Good-Bye

You will be missed

or

we will miss you

Thanks
Shayla

16 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 26 May 2005 , 11:54am
post #2 of 17

according tohttp://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html

we will miss you= nous nous ennierons de vous
you will be missed= vous serez manque (with a little thingy above the e in manque)

good-bye= au revoir

hope this helps

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 May 2005 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 17

you can also go to www.freetranslation.com and find out many languages there.... and my neighbor who is french told me this is how it is said..

Bon au revoir vous serez manqué (Good bye you will be missed)
Bon au revoir nous vous manquerons (Good bye we will miss you)

She said it depends which part of France...because different parts use different derlict (miss spelled)
Its alot like Germany.... different areas say it different ways.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 26 May 2005 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 17

I speak french...born and raised simply say: Au revoir, vous serez manqué (Goodbye, you'll be missed) I would leave the "Bon" out of it. That's a literal translation and doesn't really fit. HTH Bonne chance avec ton gateau! icon_smile.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 31 May 2005 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 17

Its alot like Germany.... different areas say it different ways.[/quote]

rlctic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlctic Posted 31 May 2005 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 17

Goodbye in French is

au revoir

megan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megan Posted 31 May 2005 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 17

Ok! I'm a french Canadian and I can help you with that one! The best way of wording what is there is : Tu nous manqueras or Vous nous manquerez (you will be missed) Here are no spelling mistakes nor translation mistakes, believe me! (I'm also a novel writer...and text corrector from time to time...)

Nous allons nous ennuyer de toi (or vous) is the correct translation for we will miss you.

In french, "tu" is used for you, when you talk to one "intimate" person. If they're is more than one person, or if you don't know really well that person, "vous" is the appropriate word.

hope that helps...
hugs, Meg (Megan)

angelkiss013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelkiss013 Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 2:42am
post #8 of 17

And not to forget that french from France , is a bit different from canadian french.
Here in Montreal , we way : "Au revoir , vous nous manquerez"( if it's two person or more leaving ) or "Au revoir , tu nous manqueras" if only one person is leaving. ( Good bye , you will be missed for both). We never use the word " Bon..."
French is a really hard language to learn it seems...

Hope this helps a bit

Annie

Or if only one person is concerned about the other one leaving , it could say " Au revoir , tu vas me manquer " ( Good-bye, I will miss you )

angelkiss013 Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 2:47am
post #9 of 17

""Nous allons nous ennuyer de toi (or vous) is the correct translation for we will miss you "" is also good.

For the word missed , both " ennuyer " and " manquer " are good. So what ever you choose, don't worry.

But on an other note , if we say : My wallet is missing , a translation could be " j'ai perdu mon porte-feuille" or " je ne trouve pas mon porte-feuille "
= meaning : "I lost my wallet " or " I can't find my wallet "
So for us , the word missing as a lot of different things...

megan Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 11:15am
post #10 of 17

I'm in Montreal area too! It is true that french is a difficult language to learn! There are a few difference between french from France and the "Canadian french", but mostly, it is the same.
Meg

chefjohanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjohanne Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 17

I agree with lilscakes. keep it simple, it is not a dificult language. Bonne chance

juliet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliet Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 17

Another girl who's first language is french here. I agree with Megan on this one. Tu nous manqueras or Vous nous manquerez would be the most appropriate here. There are many ways you could say this but that one is the best. It is proper french without being over elaborate and no matter where you're from, it will make sense to someone who is french.

angelkiss013 Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 17

Hi Megan. Witch part of montreal are you from ?
I'm from the South Shore.

megan Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 17

I'm from north shore of Montreal!!! they're right about it...the world is smaller than we think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meg

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 17

Haha, I found you Megan, haha!
Yes French is French no matter where in the world you are from. The differences are how much education the person speaking has and the terms that are common to the area that person is from. Much like someone with no schooling will speak in more simple terms than someone with education. It is the same thing with English. The English in England have different terms for some common objects, different expressions, but the basis of the language is the same all over the world. There are grammaric rules that do not change. Spelling may vary in English from countries like Engand and Canada, to the U.S.
The French in France do tend to use the more formal "vous" instead of the more informal, "tu".
I know Megan and I know that her French is excellent. My husband has always been involved in French Language Services and comments on the quality of her French, often. Haha, don't get a big head, Meg!
It is so true that we cannot make literal translations of English to French because they would not be correct in language use.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

megan Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 7:17pm
post #16 of 17

Never thought your husband would have looked at my written french!!!! Haha!!!
hugs, Meg

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 1:01am
post #17 of 17

Mais oui, but of course, haha! He saw some of the recipes you sent and some things you have written on sites! He is nosy, you know, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%