Painting Faces On Gumpaste

Decorating By weirkd Updated 30 May 2007 , 3:01am by terri-jo

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a way they paint faces on gumpaste thats easier than paint brush or toothpicks? Im trying to do a Tinkerbell out of gumpaste but she looks evil! I have a pen that you put your extract mixed with dust color into but it just write very good. I also own the food writers but their too thick for small details and doing smaller pieces. Does anyone out there have an easier way to do it?

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #2 of 5

why don't you want to use a paintbrush? You could find one that has a really fine tip and easy to handle? I don't know of anything else.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:42am
post #3 of 5

I find the easiest way to paint my faces is with a paint brush. .....But it has to be a really good "liner" brush size 000 or 00 with long bristles. The flow of colour is important with a liner brush, you need to thin your colours down but not so much that they run. To check for the right consistency/flow I keep scraps/strips of dried sugarpaste next to me and paint on this to test if the flow is good. If you use a short bristle liner brush you will find you need to reload your brush too often. You also need to hold your brush upright so that the bristles are not bent, so you are only using the tip of the brush, this gives you greater control and allows the colour to flow down the bristles for finer details!!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:52am
post #4 of 5

More than likely, no one will actually eat the doll so perhaps try using Sharpies. They come in a ton of colors and are non-toxic so even if someone decided to eat the doll, they should be fine.

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 30 May 2007 , 3:01am
post #5 of 5

For doing the eyes and mouth of my bears (in my photos) I use a food color pen. They come in all colors, and are really handy. You can get them at any cake supply shop, or Michael's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%