Help On A Gameboy Cake

Decorating By 2508s42 Updated 29 May 2007 , 5:29pm by heidisuesmom

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 12

My son wants a cake for his birthday that is a gameboyDS. (I think that is the new one, I am apparently too uncool to remember all the names that these people give to their extremely similar products...sheesh MOM!! eye roll eye roll)

ANYWAY.... I wanted to WOW him so I can redeem my uncoolness by making a 3-d cake that is the gameboy. It is the one with the two screens. One of the screens opens up, Then you can see to different things on each screen. I thought that I would put a cartoon transfer of his fav game on the bottom screen, and happy birthday Jake on the top. What I can't figure out is this....

HOW WOULD YOU MAKE THE TOP PART OF THE CAKE SO THAT IT STAND OPEN... LIKE A BRIEFCASE LID... But still be edible?? I know I could do fondant or GP, but how would I attach the thing to only one side of the cake with no supports behind it?

His b-day is in July. Please help redeem my coolness. By the way, he knows things like that can be done because he saw someones super cool X-box cake with controllers on this web site, also, he saw the icecream cone, donut cake that is floating around on here. So I'm all, "wow, wouldn't it be cool to have a mom that could do that? LOL" He said he DOES have that mom, now I HAVE to do it. Sorry for the ramble. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
duncansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duncansmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 12

I"m not a very experienced baker but this is how I would do it. I"m sure you'll get some better ideas. I would make a slab cake and cut the shape and size you need for the bottom of the game and then for the open part of the game I would stack rectangles the same length of the bottom of the game. You could support them with wooden dowel. I would think stacks of cakes would hold up just fine. Did I make sense?

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 12

Well, I have a few suggestions to help you redeem your "coolness":

1. Make a square cake, slicing it about 2" across, then stacking the 2" slices to make a tall, 2"-wide "screen". Of course, you'd have to have cardboards and dowels, as if it were a wedding cake or a very high square cake, but it would definitely hold it's shape that way. (Look at the twin baby girls photos in my gallery ... that's how I did the dresser).

2. How about a giant cookie "screen"? You could do 2 or three large square cookies and stack them together with royal icing "glue" so you had a thicker screen to work on, then put it at the end of the cake so you can use it how you want to ... I am imagining an open notebook computer or an open briefcase as I have daughters and they don't have these gameboys/x-box's, etc., so I really don't know what they look like exactly. But I would think that if the bottom is a square cake, and the large, square cookie is placed vertically at the end of the square so it looks like an open briefcase, then it may be what you want.

I hope this helps. If not, I'd recommend you browse through the galleries ... surely someone has done something similar to what you're looking for and they can help you out!

Odessa

p.s. Good luck with this, CoolMom, and post photos when you've completed your task.

2508s42 Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 12

are you saying to have smaller slabs of stacked cakes on one side of a larger cake, then put a dowel through them like a wedding cake? So the would have to be at an angle to look like the game was open, right?

2508s42 Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the ideas, Odessa. I like the cookie one a lot. I think if I did that then I could stick the dowel at the base through the cake and into the cake board itself? (extra thick, of course)

You are right about the angle. It is like a laptop, only a little tiny rectangle.

Are their any other ideas out there?

duncansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duncansmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 12

Another idea would be to make the top screen out of rice krispie treats

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 12

What about rice krispy treat for the upper screen?Support it with skewers ran down through the treat. Never used them myself, but see that alot of people do (including Duff). That way you could sort of get an angle on the screen instead of it being at a 90 degree angle.
Hope you can figure something out, as your idea sounds very cool!!!

heidisuesmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 12

Sorry Duncansmom! We were posting at the same time. I guess great minds think alike!LOL

heidisuesmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 12

Okay, Sorry to post three times in a row, but I just did a search for laptops in the galleries. Sugarfancy has one that she used stryofoam as the screen on. Suzylynn58 has a chocolate chip cookie on cardboard that she propped up from behind. Wolfyjules has one that looks like a stack of books sitting behind the computer. One idea I had for the later one is if you make a stack of game cases to support the upper screen. Then you could have all his favorites included, then his all time favorite would be the one playing on the system! Sorry if I'm getting carried away on this, I have a 15 year old son that is obsessed with games!!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2508s42

are you saying to have smaller slabs of stacked cakes on one side of a larger cake, then put a dowel through them like a wedding cake? So the would have to be at an angle to look like the game was open, right?

Yes, that's what I was originally thinking. In fact, if you cut each "slab" on a slight angle, you could actually make it appear as if it were open to the correct angle, I think.

HTH,

Odessa

edited to add: Suzielynn's mom has a great idea there - use a stack of "games" to help hold the prop angle steady ... we are truly SO HELPFUL to one another, aren't we??? Hooray for us!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2508s42 Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 12

Heidisuesmom!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea!!! I am totally going to do that!

I will make the top panel out of rice crispies with dowels, THEN I will make a stack of game cases to go behind it! You guys ROCK! I am so excited now! I wish it were July!!

heidisuesmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 12

Make sure you post the picture when you make it!! I am very excited too!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%