40Th Funeral (Birthday) Ideas Please !!!

Decorating By frstech Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm by 7yyrt

frstech Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 24

I need some unique ideas for my best friend's 40th birthday cake. We are decorating like it is a funeral. She has seen many of my cakes over the years and this needs to be unique. In the past I have done a coffin, tombstone, the flowery hill that is dead on the otherside, and the person slipping in the hole. sSe has seen all of these so I need to make this one different and unique. Any ideas are greatly appreciated !!

Thanks, Dawn

23 replies
debbie2881 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 24

i'm sorry i cant help you but i just wanted to know how come she wants her birthday cake to be a funeral??

fourangelsmommie Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 24

How about one shaped or decorated like the grim reaper?

Black balloons, black cupcake 'presents', black long stemmed roses in a box, etc.

OR, how about doing a retirement home or something like that. Maybe a cane, a rocker, some depends diapers???? Some reading glasses, some false teeth? Anything like that.

Doug Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 24

body being cremated on a big funeral pyre?

body being cremated viking style...burning boat adrift on sea? (fat lady singing on the shore?!)

mosoleum?

person partial in cocoon of spider silk caught in spider web as spider lurks near by? spider reads "Tips on Cooking" (or some such)?

person in large stew pot...dinner for the cannibals?

person at pearly gates --- big sign...closed, come back next week?

person at firey gates -- devil greeter: "Well it's about time..what took you so long?"

cake that looks like a death certificate....cause of death: (fill in w/ insult)

twinsline7 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

body being cremated viking style...burning boat adrift on sea? (fat lady singing on the shore?!)

mosoleum?

person partial in cocoon of spider silk caught in spider web as spider lurks near by? spider reads "Tips on Cooking" (or some such)?

person at firey gates -- devil greeter: "Well it's about time..what took you so long?"

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ......

I feel so sad!! where's the birthday fun??!!........no offense doug thumbs_up.gif ....those are just very graphic dead ideas!! icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 24

I have done mostly graveyards for this type birthday. I know this might be similar to what you have done in the past, but it is sort of a combination of several things - the graveyard, the grave, the coffin, the grim reaper. One has the "passing of youth" in other graves/headstones. One is just the 40th.

http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/adult/normal_0510-12x18-40thpassingofyouthgraveyard.jpg

http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/adult/normal_1230-open%20grave%20with%20coffin%20-%20half%20sheet.jpg

In each case, the coffin is made from the piece of cake cut out to make the open grave.

One other thing I have done is a 40 cake, with giant numbers in black and grey.

http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_1554-9x13-FORTY.JPG

And once I did a beautiful floral cake, but all in blacks and greys (can't find the picture, sorry)

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif [/url]

frstech Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 24

debbie2881, she doesn't want the funeral, we are giving her one as a joke !!!

fourangelsmommie & doug, great ideas !! I especially like the pearly gates one and the mosoleum, will keep them in mind..

please keep the ideas coming !!

Doug Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

mosoleum?

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ......

I feel so sad!! where's the birthday fun??!!........no offense doug thumbs_up.gif ....those are just very graphic dead ideas!! icon_biggrin.gif

E X A C T L Y ! ! ! ! icon_rolleyes.gif

just like...

tombstone...graphic you're as dead as stone ...what's the fun in that?

or graveyard...again graphically you're dead..no fun there either (even if M. Jackson did show up -- no even worse...no thriller there!)

or the Grim Reaper...how gruesome.

but then

that is the concept of BLACK HUMOR

the more graphically BAD and AWEFUL and maybe even tad tacky, gruesome and gross.... the better it is as black humor.

aliciaL_77 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 24

I like the pearly gates one and the firey gates too Doug you have so many ideas..

Doug Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 24

oohhhh...........variation on viking....

elmer fudd!!!! and bugs!!!!

I killed the wabbit!!!!!

frstech Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 24

sugarfrosted...thanks, like the idea and thanks for the picture.

doug...we definately thrive on black humor around here, couldn't have fun if we didn't...your ideas are definately being written down and have given my brain a kick start. thanks.

MissT Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 24

I once did an Antiques shop scene with an old man in rocking chair, antique like stuff and price tags on everything (even the old man). I posted it on this site, but beware it is not the greatest decorating ever. But maybe it will give you some ideas! Good luck!

frstech Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 24

okay, now I am going to have a stomach ache from laughing so hard.."get back here you waskly wabbit, I trying to kill you!!" LOL

debbie2881 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 24

I kinda thought that but had to ask anyway, you never know. LOL.

Doug Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:38pm
post #15 of 24

ok...some side track thoughts:

1. in Hindu culture, traditionally the funeral pyre on the banks of the river Ganges is the duty of the son to provide to the parent and the finest funeral a person can have, the ashes then being pushed into the Ganges river. there far more celebratory version of our anything but FUNerals.

2. in Viking tradition, the grandest and best funeral was to be placed on your boat, the sails trimed and have it set afair to sail out to sea and carry you to Valhala.

3. i'd love to see a cake that somehow incorporated Mark Twain's advice (especially the bit about not bringing your dog) for how to behave at a "fun"eral as he called them. link to what he wrote: "At the Funeral"

imakecakes Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:34am
post #16 of 24

How about the whole cake decorated as a grave with one foot in it?

You really wouldn't even have to write anything on it. Just leave it to make it's own statement.

frstech Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:20pm
post #17 of 24

imakecakes...that is a great idea, thanks.

All these ideas are swimming through my head, keep them coming though !!

Thanks all, Dawn

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:33pm
post #18 of 24

vulture sitting down to din-din w/ friend on the plate?

child vulture saying to mommy vulture: "Can we have (insert friend's name) for dinner tonight?"

(could do variations using other animals of prey like lions, tigers and bears -- oh my!)

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:35pm
post #19 of 24

friend talking to witchdoctor/witch/good fairy "Can ya help me stay young?"

response --there isn't enough voodoo/magic to help you.

frstech Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:37pm
post #20 of 24

ok doug, now I am having to pick my mom off of the floor she is rolling and laughing !!! too good !!

7yyrt Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #21 of 24

Serious ideas:
Funeral home sign with date of funeral...
Wreath on stand...
Limousine hearse...
Old time horse-drawn hearse...
Going in another direction:
"Older than Dirt"...
flames from hell...
the Devil's hand reaching up for her...
Worst Thing To Say At A Funeral (choose your own)...
www.leossportsbar.com/photogallery/funerAl.jpg
lyrics from the song "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead (You Rascal You)"
http://telemoveis.com/humour/images/bd-funeral.jpg

7yyrt Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:58pm
post #22 of 24

By the way, Doug -
You are one sick puppy!
ARE YOU SURE WE'RE NOT RELATED?!?
heh, heh, heh...

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:04pm
post #23 of 24

and since you mentioned it 7yyrt (and why didn't I think of this?!?)

here's an old sketch:

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

By the way, Doug -
You are one sick puppy!
ARE YOU SURE WE'RE NOT RELATED?!?
heh, heh, heh...

yes, I'm delightfully demented!!
related?? could be!
LL

7yyrt Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm