Jerry Cake Directions

Decorating By Mac Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm by southerncake

Mac Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 5

I am sooo bad. I have had several requests for directions for the Jerry cake and have been so busy that I forget to email/PM them out. Please forgive me. Thought I would just post them directions here:

Story behind Jerry cake: A couple came to me with pictures of the groom's cake they wanted. One was a chocolate obession of chocolate cake, covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate tiles...for $1200.00.
icon_eek.gif Heck, I can make that for alot less. So I did. Groom called after honeymoon and told me any time his wife orders a cake to make it THAT cake. Groom's name...Jerry. icon_biggrin.gif

Use any chocolate fudge recipe--I use Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake mix and occasionally add bit of Kahlua or Amaretto to it, if requested.

You can torte the layers and fill with either chocolate BC or chocolate ganache that has set to frosting thickness.

Frost entire cake in chocolate buttercream frosting.

Bathe in dark chocolate ganache:
8 oz. heavy whipping cream
2 Tblsp. butter
Heated to just to starting to bubble. Remove from heat.
Pour over 12 oz. of chocolate chips and let set 5 minutes
Whisk until smooth. Let set another 3-5 minutes before pouring over cake. Let run all over the cake. (May have to double recipe, I do, and then make truffles with leftovers--Mmmmm!)

Make chocolate tiles: melt chocolate candy melts in microwave--I use Irish Cream chocolate from Hobby Lobby. Spread onto cookie sheet trying to get it as thin as you can. Put in freezer and let it set up a bit...then lightly score it with pizza cutter. Let it set/harden all the way and use candy gloves (cotton) to breakk apart. I found that if I let it get cold, I get really sharp edges.

After cake and ganache have set a bit, at least 30 minutes, randomly place tiles on cake. I have recently found that I like it to set 3-4 hours before placing tiles.

Sorry so long but I hope that helps. I know several cakers have made this so feel free to add any tips or suggestions to this thread. Once again, I am so sorry.

Happy cakin'

4 replies
petitesweet Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 5

You are awesome Mac! We just really appreciate you sharing.

aliciaL_77 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 5

Samsgranny Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Mac, I have bookmarked your instructions under, "Future Cakes". Thanks again!

southerncake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

Mac -- I have saved these directions for 2 years and I am finally making this cake in August!

Thanks so much for posting them!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%