Wilton Fondant Ribbon Cutter/embosser Set...have One?

Decorating By 2yummy Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm by sandykay

2yummy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:50am
post #1 of 23

Does any one have a Wilton Fondant Ribbon Cutter/Embosser Set? I was thinking about getting one, but I don't want to waste $$ if it is no good. Will you let me know your oppinions about the product? Is it a thumbs_up.gif or a thumbsdown.gif ?TIA

http://shop.cakecentral.com/ribbon-cutter-embosser-p-523.html

22 replies
Jasra Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:56am
post #2 of 23

I just bought one this weekend and tried it for the first time tonight. I really liked it although I haven't had a chance to try all the disks yet. But I like the fact that I can cut strips of fondant so neatly. I'm really new to all this so anything that makes it easier is fun for me! I used the 40% off coupon for Michaels which helped $$ wise.

Birdlady Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:25am
post #3 of 23

Hi All !

I have the wilton cutter. I can honestly say that I don't really like it. As you use it the butterfly nut on the end keeps tightening and it stops rolling. usually at a bad time. It then causes your fondant to rip. I does the job I guess, but you really need to watch it. I have the other ribbon cutter, I think that is is FMM or PME. It is soooo much better. It is a little more expensive, but well worth the money.

HOpe this helps.

Dawn

2yummy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:25am
post #4 of 23

Jasra, Thanks for your post, I am new at this also. I really love it! I looked at your cake pics, they all look awesome!

That is disappointing to hear it doesn't work all of the time, I will have to check out the other brands you mentioned. I am not familair with them.

Anyone else have an oppinion about the product?

Jorre Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 23

I have one and I like it. I don't tighten the butterfly nut much at all, just enough to keep everything from falling off and I have no issues at all.

I like how it cuts everything easily and evenly.

Cindy_Gl Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 23

I just bought one, and did my very first fondant bow with it. I don't like it. Like the other poster said, it stops rolling and the fondant rips. I also had to make sure it was well greased so the fondant wouldn't stick. I would check out other brands, this one gets a thumbs down from me. thumbsdown.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 23

I agree with Jorre, you have to make sure you don't over-tighten the nut, then you have no problems - I like it!

ChrisJ Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 23

I made my first bow without it and it took forever to measure and then cut it. 2nd time I bought the tool and I just loved it! I did it in about 1/3 of the time it took me to do the 1st one. I've used it many times since w/o any problems. I also like the different edges you can get with it. IMO the least amount of use with a ruler the better.

sandykay Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 23

I agree, I love most Wilton products, however I tried both tighting it and leaveing it a little loose and it would either loosen it's self and fall off or stop and rip.

cmmom Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:51am
post #10 of 23

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and actually took a class how to use it at Michaels (it was a mini-class that cost only $5).

I really like that everything can be uniform without measuring with a ruler. If you don't tighten the nut too much you shouldn't have a problem. HTH

Jenn123 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:58am
post #11 of 23

It is very helpful. I've never had an issue with it tightening. It takes a little practice to get it to cut smoothly, but worth it.

leta Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 4:58am
post #12 of 23

I have it but I never use any edges but the straight ones. I have used it to mark off Chocolate also, and it worked well for that.

I would really like a ribbon cutter that makes grosgrain ribbon. Does anyone know where to get that?

2yummy Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 23

Hi Leta, I am not sure what grosgrain is.

SugarBlossomCakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:32am
post #14 of 23

I like the Wilton cutter. I think it works really well.

Wendoger Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:40am
post #15 of 23

Like the beadmakers, I think it takes a little practice. Getting the edges really clean has been a chore for me. But then again, maybe I just suck at it icon_wink.gif
I do like mine, I think the more I use it, the better I get. Its worth the money...I got mine on ebay...you can find everything there for much cheaper than the regular stores.

2yummy Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:01am
post #16 of 23

I think I will go with the FMM ribbon cutter. It looks good. I found one on ebay for $13 plus $3 shipping.

MavericksMommy Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:12am
post #17 of 23

I haven't done much fondant yet, but I like to use a sharp pizza cutter and a ruler to keep it straight. I can cut a piece of cardboard the width and length and use that as well as a guide.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 11:20pm
post #18 of 23

I haven't read all the replies so this may have been said but, when using this tool make sure the Wilton on the handle is facing up, and roll it away from you. I went to a meeting yesterday for WMIs, one of the trainers said that Wilton was working on the design.

Also it was suggested to us to rub a small amount of crisco on tools or cookie cutters that you use to cut fondant out with, and it will give you a smoother cut.

I really like this tool. I always show it to my students in Course 3 and use it at home as well.

Cake_Princess Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 11:32pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yummy

Does any one have a Wilton Fondant Ribbon Cutter/Embosser Set? I was thinking about getting one, but I don't want to waste $$ if it is no good. Will you let me know your oppinions about the product? Is it a thumbs_up.gif or a thumbsdown.gif ?TIA

http://shop.cakecentral.com/ribbon-cutter-embosser-p-523.html

I bought one and I love it. I like being able to cut even strips without having to get a ruler out or having to make a fuss. I never have any problems using my ribbon embosser.

aandecakedesign Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #20 of 23

Yes I know this is a little late, but I found this thread cause I wanted to see if anyone else had any problems with the fondant ribbon cutter from wilton. I bought it last week and when I went to screw on the wing nut, one of the wings broke off. Then I tried to take it off and the other wing came off. It was so cheaply made. I have to now take it back to micheals to get another one. I did rig it to use it for what I bought it for.
If the nut didnt break, it would be a great tool. I hope the next one doesnt break. I will then have to go to hardware store to get a better nut.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandecake

Yes I know this is a little late, but I found this thread cause I wanted to see if anyone else had any problems with the fondant ribbon cutter from wilton. I bought it last week and when I went to screw on the wing nut, one of the wings broke off. Then I tried to take it off and the other wing came off. It was so cheaply made. I have to now take it back to micheals to get another one. I did rig it to use it for what I bought it for.
If the nut didnt break, it would be a great tool. I hope the next one doesnt break. I will then have to go to hardware store to get a better nut.

I have 3 of them, have had one for 3 years. They get used several times a month, and I have yet to have one break. Hopefully that was just a fluke and you will have better luck with the new one.

sandykay Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #22 of 23

I have found a wonderful soultion to the loosening and tighteng of the Wilton Ribbon cutter. I placed 2 wraps of plumbers tape aroung the threaded end. This holds the wing nut in place no matter which direction you roll, just don't tighten it to much when you put the wing nut on. Hope this helps everyone. icon_cool.gif

sandykay Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #23 of 23

I have found a wonderful soultion to the loosening and tighteng of the Wilton Ribbon cutter. I placed 2 wraps of plumbers tape aroung the threaded end. This holds the wing nut in place no matter which direction you roll, just don't tighten it to much when you put the wing nut on. Hope this helps everyone. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%