Ganache Professionals Unite!!

Decorating By Love-A-Lot Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 4:06am by mendhigurl

Love-A-Lot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love-A-Lot Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:35am
post #1 of 26

I am going to make some chocolate and vanilla cupcakes for my brithday and my boss's birthday. I am going to do the basic swirly thingy on top. I want to fill with like a donut filling, but couldn't find any I thought I would actually want to eat. So, I decided I would try ganache. I figured the chocolate cupcakes would get the chocolate ganache and the vanilla cupcakes could get the white chocolate ganache. So here is the thing. I read the different posts about ganache and the recipe and I am assuming that if I follow the ganache recipe 1 and then just whip it it will be the right consistency to fill the cupcakes with. Am I right?
I figure if I can't get the ganache to set up right I will just use instant pudding-lol It is a simple solution. LOL

25 replies
Love-A-Lot Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:51am
post #2 of 26

Well I guess everyone else is busy making thier 4th of July cakes...I will check back tomorrow. Hopefully someone will know something

mamasota Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamasota Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:39am
post #3 of 26

Yes, you are right. I've done cupcakes with ganache filling and it taste great. If you have a creme filling injector or a canolli filling injector, it will make your job much easier.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 10:54am
post #4 of 26

I once whipped some leftover ganache and piped it on top of the cupcake with tip 1M. It was yummy!

Love-A-Lot Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 26

Thanks for the replies. I am going to run to the store later to pick up suplies. Does anyone know if I have to whip the ganache to get it to firm up enough to use as a filling?

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 26

I think ganache will get thicker as it cools. I've not let it get to that point though. I just stuck it in the fridge until it started getting thicker and then whipped it with my hand mixer. It turned out to be similar in consistency to frosting.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 26

Ganache does get thicker as it cools. Let it cool then put it in your mixer and whip it good. Should be the right consistency. Sound like good cupcakes....

Love-A-Lot Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 26

Ok the recipe Chocolate Ganache 1 on this board states sugar....uumm...I am assuming that is regular sugar. Am I right? or is it powdered sugar?

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-A-Lot

Ok the recipe Chocolate Ganache 1 on this board states sugar....uumm...I am assuming that is regular sugar. Am I right? or is it powdered sugar?

I have used both kinds in different ganaches and don't see/taste a difference.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 26

Regular sugar

Love-A-Lot Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:28am
post #11 of 26

Ok first ganache bombed...not the recipe or my fault...just didn't like the taste of semi sweet pieces. (friend is on the way with milk chocolate morsels)
Second ganache tastes great...but won't set up to the thickness I need for filling cupcakes. I am doing a white chocolate ganache and have whipped it like it stole something and while it is a bit thicker than before I am afraid of the whipping cream breaking down. It is in the fridge right now. I wonder can I add some powdered sugar to thicken it a bit? I hope it being in the fridge will do the deed, but I don't know. I might just do the whole pudding thing instead if the milk chocolate doesn't taste right. Thanks for all the replies though.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 4:06am
post #12 of 26

If you make sure that you properly cooled it, you can definetely whip it up to the right thickness.

Not sure what recipe you used for the white chocolate ganache, but if you used one for milk/dark chocolate, it's going to be a little more runny because there is more cocoa butter in white chocolate. You can whip the chocolate for a while before the cream starts turning into butter, so don't be scared. You'll reach the point at which you like it before it turns into butter. I wouldn't add any more sugar because then it'll be sweet, but that just my opinion, the reason I like ganache is because it's not sweet like bc icing. Good luck.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 5:23am
post #13 of 26

Letting the ganache cool overnight is ideal. Don't overwhip, it is hard to re-do it after it is to that point.

White and Dark Chocolate are not interchangeable in recipes. Use a separate recipe for white. It is so much softer your ganache will be liquid.

I don't usually add sugar to ganache unless the chocolate is very dark, and it is for kids or people who don't appreciate the dark chocolate.

I have started getting lots of requests for Chocolate IMBC as a cake filling. Everyone raves. I just use cocoa pwdr to flavor it. But you can flavor it with ganache also--darker is better, because the icing is already sweet.
So if you can't get your ganache to whip up right, maybe add it into some buttercream.

Good luck! They'll be getting a treat!

Love-A-Lot Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 5:30am
post #14 of 26

Well, I made the milk chocolate ganache and it pretty much tasted the same as the semi sweet ganache...so I just mixed the two and used them. I used 120z of white chocolate to 6oz cream. After letting it sit for a while in the fridge it firmed up a bit more so I could at least fill the cupcakes. We snagged one to taste it and it so was good. I hope the chocolate ones came out good too. Thanks for the advice. I will post the pics of the cupcakes in a bit. They were just for fun.

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 26

I have made tons of ganache, it's my favorite.

I have NEVER whipped ganache, never needed to.

For runny ganache - to sort of pour on top I use almost equal amounts of chocolate to hot heavy cream.

For thicker ganache - the kind I want to spread with a knife - I use more chocolate to less cream. Maybe 16 oz chocolate to 1 cup of heavy hot cream.

My secret is, I bring the cream to a slight boil so it's hot, then pour on top of the chocolate in a bowl, let set 10 min and just whisk it by hand until it's thoroughly mixed. Then I just let it set overnight, I NEVER refridgerate it and I live in FL. Just leave it set and the next day the ganache is perfect. (Colette Peters in her books actually says this is how she does it, it truly works)

Some recipes call for a little corn syrup - just a tablelspoon will do, or 1 tbsp of butter to make it shinier and easier to work with. Never add granulated sugar or you will have grit in your chocolate.

cheftaz Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

Never add granulated sugar or you will have grit in your chocolate.

Um you are wrong. In my recipe "chocolate ganache 1" I add sugar and have NEVER EVER had gritty ganache. The key is to add it to your cream before bringing cream to the boiling point and viola it's dissolved. I also add the butter to the cream before heating to keep the ganache shiny

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 26

You can learn a lot about ganache (plus recipes) from the www.baking911.com site if you are interested.

TickledPink Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:48pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftaz

Quote:
Quote:

Um you are wrong. In my recipe "chocolate ganache 1" I add sugar and have NEVER EVER had gritty ganache. The key is to add it to your cream before bringing cream to the boiling point and viola it's dissolved. I also add the butter to the cream before heating to keep the ganache shiny

I stand corrected. I guess the way I read it I envisioned tasting the ganache and thinking it wasn't sweet enough and then adding sugar to it.

About 99% of the time I use Ghiradelli's 60% dark chocolate for ganache and althought it's not super sweet (like milk chocolate can be) I think it balances out the sweetness of the cake. Everyone loves it.

TickledPink Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftaz

Quote:
Quote:

I stand corrected. I guess the way I read it I envisioned tasting the ganache and thinking it wasn't sweet enough and then adding sugar to it.

About 99% of the time I use Ghiradelli's 60% dark chocolate for ganache and althought it's not super sweet (like milk chocolate can be) I think it balances out the sweetness of the cake. Everyone loves it.

Love-A-Lot Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:57am
post #20 of 26

Well I brought the cupcakes to work today and everyone loved them. Even the uniced one for the diabetic lady--lol They loved the fillings too. I am thinking about using the leftover ganache to dip some cake balls into and try that this weekend, but I dunno if I will have time. Thanks for everyone's advice. I had fun learning something new...I will say this though. The ganache tasted alot like what I make to dip my peanut-butter balls into, which is just melted chocolate and a little paraffin wax. Only that stuff dries hard quickly. I might try dipping them in ganache next time so that I don't have such a hard shell, but that won't be until Christmas time. Thanks again everyone!!

cheftaz Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:54am
post #21 of 26

The taste of ganache really depends on the chocolate you use

Quote:
Quote:

That is a good chocolate.
A really good quality bittersweet chocolate is what I find the best tasting ganache but that is the reason I also add sugar. The taste is perfect for me but for kids adding an oz. (2 tbls)of sugar just cuts down on the true bitterness of the chocolate. Even some good quaility semisweet needs the sugar added for the kids sake. Cheaper brands of semisweet are more often than not sweeter than the more expensive brands. I'm glad everyone enjoyed them but keep experimenting with different brands of chocolate until you find the one that satisfies you the most

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:00am
post #22 of 26

love-a-lot, what's the paraffin wax recipe about/for? is it edible? i'm guessing it is, because otherwise why us it icon_razz.gif . could you tell me more?

susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 26

I'm making a chess board cake for a birthday this Saturday- Want to fill it with some whipped ganache.. yummmm. Just a little afraid that it will "go bad" in the 4 hours between me arriving at the party & it being eaten? The host does not have room in the fridge....

What do you think?

cheftaz Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 11:59pm
post #24 of 26

It'll be fine. Ganache does not have to be refrigerated

Love-A-Lot Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:51am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasidus1

love-a-lot, what's the paraffin wax recipe about/for? is it edible? i'm guessing it is, because otherwise why us it icon_razz.gif . could you tell me more?

When my grandmother was alive and I lived with her we always made candies for Christmas. Well she passed away a year ago, and I decided to try to carry on the tradition myself and made some chocolate covered peanut butter balls among other things for this past Christmas. Basically for the covering, which can be used for pretzel, chocolate covered cherries, and millions of other things, I just melted chocolate in a double boiler with a little paraffin wax. You have to make sure you by the clarified (I think that was the name) stuff so it is edible. It is safe to eat in small amounts, so don't eat the whole box--lol It only takes a little and just makes it eaiser to dip and shinier when the chocolate dries. My mother-in-law and boyfriend about had a heartache when they saw me putting the wax in. I kept telling them they were just crazy Yankees and it was safe. I had to get on the internet and show them articles stating it was safe. The next thing I will try to make this year is divinity, but even my grandmother had problems getting it just right because of the weather.
If you search for peanut butter balls or chocolate covered peanut butter balls on most recipe forums they will have a listing for it. They are super easy and fun too. Taste great too.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:06am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasidus1

the wax is used so that the chocolate doesn't have to be tempered. It helps the chocolate keep it's shine and harden up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%