Hi-Ratio, Which Brand

Decorating By Teekakes Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 3:09pm by Wendoger

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #1 of 37

Do you use or recommend?
I did not realize "Hi-Ratio" shortening was made by a few different companies. I was told by a cake supply expert that hi-ratio is the "type" of shortening, not the brand name so I was a bit icon_redface.gif when I ask him for Hi-Ratio brand shortening and he ask me "which one"!
What I purchased today is from "DDA". I have never used Hi-Ratio before and am anxious to make my first batch of it tomorrow or Monday. I have read so much good about it and those that use it won't use anything else.

36 replies
DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:56am
post #2 of 37

I tried Alpine brand using a recipe a friend gave me. It didn't crust up for me. I tried making it again and no luck. She uses Sweetex and it crusts up for her without a problem.

I can't get it locally, but next time I'd like to try the Sweetex brand.

Act1Events Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Act1Events Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #3 of 37

i use sweetex and its great
still trying to perfect my smoothing technique but it make a great icing

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:05am
post #4 of 37

Sweetex is the only brand I've come across locally and it works great.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:08am
post #5 of 37

I buy the SYSCO brand but they closed their cash and carry store a few months ago. So now I use bakemark hi ratio, 5lbs, at $26.70. SYSCO is 50lbs for $29.00. It is good for about 12 to 16 months if stored in a cool place. I put mine in the pantry.

The recipe I use has not butter and and everyone loves it. I just change the flavoring. Very easy to smooth out espically with the viva towel method. Some people have thought it was fondant until they reliaze it is frosting

here is sysco website you can see if they have a cash and carry store near you.

http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

and here is bakemark, no business license needed just pay cash, place the order the day before.

http://www.bakemarkusa.com/

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:09am
post #6 of 37

Can I please ask, what exactly is hi ratio shortening? Where can I get it? I keep hearing about it and my interest is peaked, especially with crappy new crisco!!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:18am
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

Can I please ask, what exactly is hi ratio shortening? Where can I get it? I keep hearing about it and my interest is peaked, especially with crappy new crisco!!!

I just posted where I buy mine

Hi ratio is -

has special emulsifiers in it so that you can use less of it than you would reg. vegetable shortening but still use the same amount of powdered sugar or even more. It also will absorb more liquids too without breaking down. That is: high amount of sugar/liquid to low amount of shortening...so it is High(sugar/liquid) ratio shortening.

It makes a buttercream that is much smoother, fluffier and less greasy than using reg. vegetable shortening.

It is great, no GREASY feeling like Crisco gives. I just love it.

Here are some other brands names for hi ratio

Other brands: Alpine, Biscot 140, Blendex, COVO S.M., Cremelite, CRISCO HI-RATIO, Golden Glow, XXX crème, Monarch Covo Sm (Icings & Cakes), Monarch Covo Sm - Non Hydro
Monarch XXX Cream (for Icings), Monarch Artisan Cremin (for buttercream icing - just whip & use)
Monarch M300 (Icing Base), Canbra Hi Ratio (Cakes) AND SweeteX Hi Ratio Shortening

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #8 of 37

justsweet is that a misprint or is that 5 lbs for $26.70? Seems expensive. But I'm definitely interested in giving it a try. Thanks for the info!

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 37

"you can use less of it than you would reg. vegetable shortening"

How much less do you use? I heard that you use less but I can't remember.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #10 of 37

i totally love this website, every day i hear about a new tip or product that i totally new nothing about. High-ratio shortning is certainly on my list of to try things.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:17pm
post #11 of 37

Hi all, I just got the Sweetex to try and love it, yep you definately use less of it and it's smoother tasting but does take longer to crust, I do use milk though. HTH

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 37

I can only get sweetex or ck brand high ratio shortening and I love both. I order them online due to no distributors any where around me. Both are really good in my opinion.

Teekakes Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 37

Thanks! It is interesting to see what others use and prefer.

Justsweet, thanks for the links and explanation of Hi-Ratio.

Sunspotalli, I feel the same way about CC and if you want to it seems there is something new to learn almost every day.
CC is a great "continuing education" site for decorators at all levels! icon_smile.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:27pm
post #14 of 37

hillmn.......I use 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup per pound of powdered sugar.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 37

ever heard of penguin brand?

Teekakes Posted 27 May 2007 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 37

Nope, haven't heard of Penguin Hi-Ratio yet. The more I research hi ratio the more brands of it I find. The one I am using is DDA, Dawn, here is a link to their website so you all can check them out. They are a very BIG supplier to bakeries come to find out.

www.dawnfoods.com They carry an extensive line of baking supplies.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 27 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 37

Here's a recipe using Sweetex:

2 lb bag 10X powdered sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1 cup Sweetex

put ingredients in mixer in that order. use slow speed to reduce air bubbles. mix until smooth. for chocolate, add 2 pouches of Nestle's chocobake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:09am
post #18 of 37

Why B/C recipes crust or don't:

http://tinyurl.com/ywtr3e
(From Sarah Phillips of baking 911.com.)

Make Tami's B/C crust:

http://tinyurl.com/2hdzss
(From Sarah Phillips of baking911.com.)

HTH

HTH

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm
post #19 of 37

I've recently started using Alpine hi-ratio shortening. My local bakery supply carries it for around $40. I probably would have bought sweetex but the sweetex was like $70 for 50 lb! I'm happy with the Alpine. It definitely makes a nice smooth icing. I thought I could taste it a little bit in my BC so I used about 1/2 C-1 C less in my next batch and that was better.

Courtney

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:57pm
post #20 of 37

Can you use part butter instead of butter flavoring with your recipe for buttercream using hi ratio shortening?

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:03pm
post #21 of 37

I also use Alpine, I like it a lot. I have never tried any other Hi-Ratio brand to compare it to though.

I am happy with it, and as "they" say, don't mess with a good thing.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:16pm
post #22 of 37

I just received my first box of sweetex last week an love it.

justsweets, you were getting an awesome price on your sweetex. I know someone that works at Sysco so I was able to purchase 50lbs for 50 dollars. Wish it was what you use to pay I would have bought two! I'm not complaining it's still cheaper than Crisco and much better. thumbs_up.gif

Kat

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 37

Good to read about this subject. The one thing i ask is.. is it significally more expensive than the Reg Shortening? (crisco?)

TY

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #24 of 37

I just got hooked on sweetex....LOVE the stuff....I made the WBH bc (Whimsical BakeHouse butter cream) a few times with regular shortening and I couldn't get it to turn out that great...there was always something wrong...untill I started using sweetex to make it....thats all anybody wants anymore!!!
icon_wink.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #25 of 37

I like to use PS99, which I am told by my supplier that it is "icing shortening" I'm not sure if it technically is "hi-ratio" but I think so. It's awesome, I get it for 50 lbs for $40 at a local bakery supply, and right now I'm suffering cause I ran out - so I've been buying CK brand hi-ratio at the cake shop, and it's killing me - it's $10 for 3 lbs - big difference in price, and doesn't last me as long (obviously) as the 50lbs.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #26 of 37

leepat:
I see your in AL also! You would love the Sweetex or other hi-ratio shortening for our humidity/heat!
I don't think you would want to put butter in your recipe though. Guess you could try it and see what happens though.

I purchase Sweetex from a cake shoppe in Pensacola: 2 lbs for $4. I've purchased the Alpine brand from Country Kitchens online but was told that it does good in cooler weather.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #27 of 37

Thanks. I will have to try that. I was told by someone that they would not ship the hi ration in the summer months is this true? I don't have a supplier near me and if this is so I will have to wait till cooler weather to get some.

pat

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:58pm
post #28 of 37

Has anyone used butter with the hi-ratio shortening? In my recipe I use:

1 cup Crisco
1 cup butter
2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp flavorings

Should I reduce the hi ratio shortening to 3/4 cup and still use 1 cup butter?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #29 of 37

I use 1/2 cup hi ratio shortening with 1 cup butter in mine and it is fine for me.
My recipe is very very similar to yours.
I use heavy cream in mine and less of it than you do milk but other wise it's the same. Oh, and I do use 1 tablespoon meringue powder.<sorry almost forgot that part!> icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #30 of 37

I just called Sysco in my area and they sell Sweetex in 50 pound block for $70.35

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%