Fondant Rolled Roses!

Decorating By rajinaren Updated 26 May 2007 , 2:26pm by mdtargac

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!
I see that there is a different rose in all the cakes...not the traditional one. It looks like it is rolled and its cute. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

4 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 5

Here is a link to the way Duff does his...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-289913.html

And here is a link JanH did on roses. It includes links on how to do the ribbon roses...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-65833.html

HTH some, Jen

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 5

I'm not very good at it but you roll a strip of fondant about 1/8 inch thick and 1/2 inch wide. Collette rolls hers wider and then folds it in half. I like that look better. Anyway then you loosely roll it but and pinch the bottom. Play around with the folds a bit to get it to look how you want. It takes practice.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 5

Cut a strip of MMF wide enough to fold gently in half lenghwise. Do not press the crease. Starting at one end fold over the corner and start rolling. When the rose is the size you want cut or tear the end and slighting force it down. Squeeze the end to make everything stick together and tear off and cut off the extra. If you want you can open the rose by gently pushing and pulling being careful not to squeeze the fold.

Duff on Ace of Cakes does another technique. He cuts 3 circles and overlaps them slightly. With a brush he brushes one line of water down the middle of all three. Picking up the end roll the 3 together to form a rose. If you are careful you can cut this roll in the middle and have 2 (one at each end). I like this technique and have added more circles to get a larger rose.

Hope this helps.

mdtargac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdtargac Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 5

Hi,

I believe there are directions on the Wilton site and there are several out on the net with pictures. Just Google it.

This is what I do though. Roll out fondant. Cut into wide strips. I don't measure them just eyeball it. The wider the strip the bigger the rose. I like a nice rounded edge on mine, so I fold over one side of the strip, about half way down. Which is why you cut wide strips. Then starting on one end, and you'll be looking at the side with the fold over, start rolling. I try to make the edges flare out some and not roll perfectly. Pinch the bottoms together as you roll. You can then use your fingers to separate the rolls so it looks more rose like. You get really plump rounded roses this way. If you want a straighter edge, just don't do the fold over part. I've done those too. It takes some practice but you'll get a feel for it once you try it.

There is also a great way at this link below using a circle cutter and you get two roses at a time this way. Tried it and it's great. I just like the rounder egdes.

http://www.odense.com/rosebuds.cfm

Hope this helps and makes sense. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%