1St Attempt At Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By practiceandpatience Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 1:01am by mgdqueen

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 28

Hi Everyone,
This is my first attempt at gum paste flowers. I tried a couple of different techniques for painting the flowers. First try was vodka and dust, which left the flowers sort of speckled. Then I tried to use dust dry, this seemed to work much better, and gave a softer look. I would appreciate any feedback on what I should change or advice on improvement.
Thank you all so much
Practice and Patience
LL

27 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 28

I've got no help for ya.....if my first flowers turn out half that good, I'll be shocked and amazed, throwin' a party!! I think they're marvelous.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 28

Wow that looks great, cant believe its your first.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 28

Wow. Beautiful.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 28

Yes. What they said! LOL. I have a class for gumpaste flowers a week from today. I hope mine look as good!

morgiana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgiana Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 28

Wow, those are lovely! You did gret job!

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 28

I have never made gumpaste flowers, just leaves, but my advise is------don't change a thing!!!!!! LOL Those are beautiful!!!!! icon_lol.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 28

Ok, you lied! They can't be your first!!!! JK
Great job. Very beautiful!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:00am
post #9 of 28

They're gorgeous. Great job thumbs_up.gif

practiceandpatience Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:35am
post #10 of 28

Thank you everyone on your kind words!! You all are sure a confidence booster. I just thought I would show you the finished cake using my 1st attempt at gum paste flowers. Again thanks to all who responded.
Practice and Patience
LL

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:42am
post #11 of 28

Looks great! You need to add it to your photos now icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:43am
post #12 of 28

Lovely cake w/incredibly beautiful flowers!

Hard to believe it's your first effort - you MUST have been practicing like crazy. And it shows!!!

Again, GREAT JOB! icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:45am
post #13 of 28

Lovely cake w/incredibly beautiful flowers!

Hard to believe it's your first effort - you MUST have been practicing like crazy. And it shows!!!

Again, GREAT JOB! icon_biggrin.gif

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:15am
post #14 of 28

very beautiful! great job for your first time!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 5:24am
post #15 of 28

you're going to be wonderful!

great job.

I personally never mix my petal dust with vodka. I use the dust dry - when I need deep hints of color I will use straight food color on a fine brush. You'll get more comforatble with getting your paste thinner and thinner eventually - I'd also recommend NOT striving for each item to look exactly the same as the others (leaves for example). Nature isn't perfect - you'll see leaves are ever so slightly different, for example. FEEL the leaves and petals - bend them around a bit.

I also find that edging leaves with a hint of pink or red (depending on the color scheme you are using) really increases their realism.

AWESOME job.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceandpatience

Thank you everyone on your kind words!! You all are sure a confidence booster. I just thought I would show you the finished cake using my 1st attempt at gum paste flowers. Again thanks to all who responded.
Practice and Patience

If this is your FIRST attempt icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif you truly are talented!! Your flowers look flawless. I use non-toxic chalks to color my gumpaste flowers. I learned this technique from Scott Clak Woolley. I've seen Ron Ben Isreal airbrush color and then make accents in petal dusts.

However, I think your flowers are pretty as they are.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 28

Just beautiful!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:26pm
post #18 of 28

Your flowers are absolutely awesome. The only advice i can give you is to dust with a dry brush, adding more colour to achieve deeper tones, and then steam. You can let your flowers dry compeltely after they're steamed and add more colour if necessary, and then re-steam. Steaming sets the colour and gives it a bit of a waxy look.
Nati

Storyung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Storyung Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:07am
post #19 of 28

Very very nice! I would never have guessed that it is your first attempt.

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 7:09am
post #20 of 28

Wow, a fantastic effort for your first time.Well done! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:47pm
post #21 of 28

absolutely beautiful...I'll be attempting my first gum paste flowers soon, if everyone's first attempt could be like yours WOW!! I can only hope for me.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:57pm
post #22 of 28

I am sooo impressed. I have a gum paste flower in my hand right now waiting for the petal to dry. I've been trying to teach myself. Can you tell me if you first tinted the gum paste or if you colored each of those after you made them?

practiceandpatience Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 12:54am
post #23 of 28

Alicegop,
I painted the flowers after they were dry. I tried a couple of different methods, and I did not like the effect of the dust with vodka. They dried very speckled. I then tried the dust dry, and liked this very much. To get a deeper color, I just applied a couple of coats. The leaves I tinted the gum paste before I made them with paste food colors. Good luck with your gum paste flowers, I too taught myself, and it is addictive!!
(as all parts of cake decorating seem to be)
Practice and Patience

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:28am
post #24 of 28

Very pretty....how did you get them in such a graceful "swag" looking position. Newbie questions , I know! Did you use wire....?

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:34am
post #25 of 28

Your flowers look perfect and your cake is gorgeous!!!!

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:36am
post #26 of 28

Absolutely beautiful! they look professional, couldn't tell it was your first time to make gumpaste flowers. I haven't had the time to attempt to make gumpaste flowers.

practiceandpatience Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:47am
post #27 of 28

raisen,
Yes I made them on wires, as I was arranging and wiring them together, I would carefully hover it over the cake to see how it was measuring up, and when it was done, I did the same to see where I wanted to bend swag so it swooped down and around edge of cake.
Practice and Patience

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:01am
post #28 of 28

They look beautiful, as does the pattern on the cake. I can't wait to attempt these!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%