Egg Free Cake

Baking By wendysue Updated 16 Nov 2014 , 10:35pm by ravenclaw

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 24

I've done this before, but now doubting my memory. I have a request for an egg free white cake. I was thinking I can just make a boxed cake mix and omit the eggs. If I omit the eggs is there something else I should do to doctor the mix?
Any help is appreciated. icon_smile.gif

23 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 24

Not sure how to doctor the mix without eggs, but here is a link to egg free cakes on this site, good luck.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe_cat_23-Egg-Free-Cakes.html

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 24

Here is a reply I got when asking about egg substitutes...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26086-.html

wendysue Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 24

Thanks for the links. icon_wink.gif
I know that awhile back there was some discussion on leaving the eggs from a mix. Has anyone out there made a boxed cake and simply left the egg out?

wendysue Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:39am
post #5 of 24

Anyone? icon_lol.gif

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:51am
post #6 of 24

You can substitute Meringue powder for the eggs. 2 tsp + 2 tbs water = 1 egg white. It's on the can of the Wilton Brand. This works greast if you're only out of eggs, but not if you're allergic to eggs.

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 24

I am allergic to eggs so I've done lots of research and testing of cakes w/o eggs. There are a couple different things you can do to make cake mixes w/o eggs. You can just leave the egg out and sub a carbonated soda for the water, but this leaves the cake very soft and fragile. Just fine for leaving in pan, but crappy for decorating.

After a lot of playing I've found the method I like best. I add unflavored gelatin and Ener-G-Egg replacer to the oil and soda. You have to be careful to let the gelatin spften a little or it will not mix right.

Unfortunalty I don't have exact measurements as I just kinda guess. icon_smile.gif

The cake this makes is strong enough to unmold and frost. It's still not super strong so I wouldn't stack it or anything, but it's workable.

wendysue Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 24

That's great information! So, what happens if I just leave the egg out of a mix and don't make any substitutions? I'm concerned now about the structure of the cake because the order is for a mini tiered cake. You think I'm going to have some problems?

loves2bake Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 24

Ok, here's my thought: (creative mode kicking in..lol) An egg is used to hold the cake together right? Why not put a little extra oil in it and maybe some baking powder(mixed together before adding to cake mixture)? WOuldn't that essentially do the same thing? Sectheatre, maybe you can help since you're more familiar with this than I am..

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 24

If you don't add an egg to the box mix it will be very flat. Egg add volume to the cake as well as holding it together. If you add more oil (as previously mentioned) the cake will be moister but it won't hold the cake together. And it will be very heavy tasting. Adding 2 tbs. merangue will give it volume but will not hold the cake together. This "knowledge" came from the -- trial and error -- method. icon_biggrin.gif

wendysue Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 24

Well, I'm thinking this cake order is going to be impossible. I need a cake that is completely egg free and one that will hold together well. So, if anyone knows how this can be accomplished please let me know. Otherwise, I might have to call the customer back and figure something out. I certainly don't want to go into this with the possibilty that my cake will crumble!

Maybe I could make a regular cake and then a smaller egg-free cake on the side just for the birthday girl (the one with the allergy).

loves2bake Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 24

This is just a thought, but does anyone KNOW if Bisquick contains Egg?

wendysue Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 24

I just reviewed some info I retreived from the web back in January where it was said that vinegar or lemon juice will work in a cake where eggs are left out. It works with baking soda. I have a vegan recipe that uses the soda and vinegar, but didn't want to use it again. Might have to. It just takes soooo much to make a substantial looking cake with this recipe, but at least I think it will hold its shape. Not 100% about this, but when I made a sheetcake with the recipe in Jan it came nicely from the treated pan and I was able to decorate. It held it's shape nicely. I think I could have stacked it. Everyone out there in cyberspace keep their fingers crossed for me. icon_confused.gif

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 24

I made a chocolate cake from this site in recipe section that was called "killer chocolate cake" it was really good. If you need the recipe and can't find it here pm me and I will send it to you.

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 24

I have found it is possible to stack egg-free cakes, they just can't be stacked directly on each other. Even with dowels, they won't support well. If you use seperator plates and push in legs so the cakes are TOTALLY suported by the legs-you should be fine. I've never had reason to do that large of egg-free cake, but I've done tiered where just the top tier is egg free.

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

Thanks for the links. icon_wink.gif
I know that awhile back there was some discussion on leaving the eggs from a mix. Has anyone out there made a boxed cake and simply left the egg out?

Yes I used applesauce and oil.

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 24

By the way. The cake was very crumbly and didn't hold together too well but no problem. When I flipped the cake onto the other cake with icing on it; it crumbled into a few big pieces so I pushed them back together and put it in the freezer. After 30 minutes I took it out and iced with no crumbs or problems. By the way it tastes just the same; only maybe a slightly sweeter taste to it; maybe like pancakes. And even the consistency is like biting into a pancake. But for them always eating egg free; they thought it was the best tasting cake ever. It was the castle cake on my website. they do come out very thin; it has no eggs so there isn't a way around that as far as i know.

wendysue Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:51pm
post #18 of 24

I found a great solution and one the customer is happy with! icon_smile.gif I'm going to make the tiered cake using boxed mix with eggs and then make a second 6" cake from scratch without egg using the recipe I had from before. I'll then decorate the cakes to match.
Thanks to everyone for the good discussion. I especially appreciate the idea to make one tier egg free... this is what got me thinking. icon_wink.gif

loves2bake Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 9:37pm
post #19 of 24

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26086-.html

The above link has LOTS of egg substitutions! Check it out!

loves2bake Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:24pm
post #20 of 24

Oh, just realized that Beachcakes suggested this link earlier, but I didn't check it out until now. Thank you Beachcakes! thumbs_up.gif

jennyflame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyflame Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 1:15am
post #21 of 24

I just wanted to add, being vegetarian and knowing a lot of vegans, you might want to find out if they are requesting you to omit the egg because they don't eat meat products. And if so, you shouldn't use gelatin, being it's considered a meat product.

I don't know if anyone brought that up or not. Sorry if it's repeated. icon_smile.gif

loves2bake Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 1:40am
post #22 of 24

That raises a good question: does the Dr. eat meat? Never thought of that at all..

wendysue Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 1:13pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyflame

I just wanted to add, being vegetarian and knowing a lot of vegans, you might want to find out if they are requesting you to omit the egg because they don't eat meat products. And if so, you shouldn't use gelatin, being it's considered a meat product.

I don't know if anyone brought that up or not. Sorry if it's repeated. icon_smile.gif

Good point. They have a little girl with an egg allergy. So, it's not so much a vegan issue, just using a vegan recipe. icon_wink.gif

ravenclaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ravenclaw Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 10:35pm
post #24 of 24

I'm testing this theory right now, will let you know how it turns out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%