Carving A Cake

Decorating By RkRamirez Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 2:31am by WickedGoodies

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 26 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #1 of 7

I am going to attempt my first carved or sculpted (whatever you want to call it) cake. What type of cake to use when I carve it. I know that I can't have something light, it needs to be dense. But I don't know of any good recipes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help. [/center]

6 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 26 May 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 7

I have carved only a few cakes so far, but I have used a regular chocolate cake as well as a regular white cake, and I haven't had any trouble. I would just be sure you have a very sharp knife, and if you are covering it in fondant, make sure the fondant is not too heavy for the cake.

HTH!

<Starkie>

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

I've used the wasc recipe for carving cakes and it works really well. Its a nice dense cake, I got away with refrigerating overnight then carving with no problems at all. I've found that the chocolate can be a little crumbly but adding pudding mix to the cake mix does help. Here's the recipe if you would like to try http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html Good luck and what are you carving?

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #4 of 7

In the recipe section there is a WONDERFUL cake "durable cake for 3d and wedding cakes" Tastes sooo good and working great!!! HTH

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:01am
post #5 of 7

I am going to attempt to make a swimming pool with an patio type thing on the side. But I am going to make 2 9x13 cake, and stack them then cut out a "swimming pool" in them. And attach another 9x13 (that I am going to cut in half) and make the patio. I'll post pics when I get done with it and while I am working on it.

pstafford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pstafford Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 7

i need to make a star wars yoda cake  the pics i have seen make his head out of rice krispies  is there a way i can make it out of cake  my customer isnt crazy about the krispy idea  thanks under the rainbow bakery

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

I made this yoda cake all out of cake. It's covered in modelling chocolate, which worked great especially for sculpting the face. The round head is skewered to a rectangular body. There is nothing in the arms (they are just empty sleeves made of modelling chocolate). My recipe and instructions for making modelling chocolate. I hope this helps. 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%