Carving A Cake

Decorating By RkRamirez Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 2:31am by WickedGoodies

RkRamirez Posted 26 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #1 of 7

I am going to attempt my first carved or sculpted (whatever you want to call it) cake. What type of cake to use when I carve it. I know that I can't have something light, it needs to be dense. But I don't know of any good recipes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help. [/center]

6 replies
Starkie Posted 26 May 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 7

I have carved only a few cakes so far, but I have used a regular chocolate cake as well as a regular white cake, and I haven't had any trouble. I would just be sure you have a very sharp knife, and if you are covering it in fondant, make sure the fondant is not too heavy for the cake.

Biya Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

I've used the wasc recipe for carving cakes and it works really well. Its a nice dense cake, I got away with refrigerating overnight then carving with no problems at all. I've found that the chocolate can be a little crumbly but adding pudding mix to the cake mix does help. Here's the recipe if you would like to try Good luck and what are you carving?

Beezaly Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #4 of 7

In the recipe section there is a WONDERFUL cake "durable cake for 3d and wedding cakes" Tastes sooo good and working great!!! HTH

RkRamirez Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:01am
post #5 of 7

I am going to attempt to make a swimming pool with an patio type thing on the side. But I am going to make 2 9x13 cake, and stack them then cut out a "swimming pool" in them. And attach another 9x13 (that I am going to cut in half) and make the patio. I'll post pics when I get done with it and while I am working on it.

pstafford Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 7

i need to make a star wars yoda cake  the pics i have seen make his head out of rice krispies  is there a way i can make it out of cake  my customer isnt crazy about the krispy idea  thanks under the rainbow bakery

WickedGoodies Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

I made this yoda cake all out of cake. It's covered in modelling chocolate, which worked great especially for sculpting the face. The round head is skewered to a rectangular body. There is nothing in the arms (they are just empty sleeves made of modelling chocolate). My recipe and instructions for making modelling chocolate. I hope this helps. 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

Quote by @%username% on %date%