Upside Down Method For Square Cakes?

Decorating By librarian Updated 25 May 2007 , 6:47pm by librarian

librarian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
librarian Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I decorate cakes as a hobby. I'm going to be making a square stacked wedding cake for a friend. I'd like to get it as smooth as possible and with nice sharp corners. Would the upside down method work for a square? I notice in the article that they are using a round cake.
Thanks, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies
luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 3

I have never done this method with a square cake before, but I have with the rounds. I think it could work just fine for the smaller cakes, but you would have trouble with larger cakes because you have to be able to flip them from upside down back to right side up. Those cake get heavy quickly especially if they are double layered, which most wedding cakes are...not to mention that the bigger the cake, the more awkward it would get.

For my square cakes, I like to use a large putty knife from the hardware store. I still need help with my corners, but this is how I have my best results so far. I am always looking for new ways though.

librarian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
librarian Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the weight of the cake. It is going to be a 12 inch and 8 inch with 2 layers each. Corners seem to be the hardest thing don't they?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%