A friend of mine just got engaged and just asked me about how much this cake (see below) might cost. She said it's pretty much what she wants - simple square tiers w/their monogram. Same size as pictured. As I've only been doing cakes for about a year and have been paid for only one single cake ever (definitely not a wedding cake!), I don't really know what to tell her! We're in upstate SC. Any ballpark figures would be appreciated so I can relay the message on to her!
Typically people say to charge 2-3 times the number of servings, since that seems like a pretty simple cake, you maay need to add more for the flowers on top and the stand. It LOOKS like it's a 16" on the bottom, 12" and then 8" and if that's right, in SC, I would say about $600.
I would say maybe $2-2.50 per serving times the amount of servings for that particular cake, and that is just for a buttercream cake with buttercream decorations. A cake covered in fondant or a cake with fondant accents would incur additional costs. The flowers and renting the cake stand of course would be an extra expense that she needs to take care of.
I just did the same cake last weekend. I only charged $290. I should have charged $500. The cake was Martha Stewarts Apple Caramel with homemade caramel cream cheese for a filling. The decorating was more then this cake you are showing. If you are going with a basic yellow or chocolate cake I would ask $450. Plus she is a friend of yours so do you want to give her a discount? maybe $375. my tiers were 12 10 and 6 inches. It a great cake. Time consuming though. I did my tiers off center.
Thanks for the ideas!
Sunflowerfreak - that cake is so pretty! And isn't the apple caramel cake absolutely delicious?! I made one of those a couple weekends ago just to try the recipe, and it's definitely something I'll do again! (Although it sure is a pain in the rear grating all those apples!)
I'm searching for the recipe for Martha's Apple Caramel/ caramel cream cheese - I'm not having any luck. Could you direct me in the right place or supply that recipe? Sounds like one I'd like to do. Thanking in advance.
Is this the recipe for Martha Stewart's cake?
Apple Spice Cake
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Nonstick cooking spray with flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
4. Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
5. Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
8. Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack, and serve drizzled with caramel sauce
Note: Recipe courtesy of Dorothy Mae Brown