Glass Pyrex Bowl For Baking?

Decorating By jadak Updated 25 May 2007 , 7:26pm by mcataylor

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 15

I have a 2 qt. glass pyrex bowl. On the bottom it says, "No Rangetop. No Broiler." Do you think I can bake a cake in it or not? If it's no broiler, would that be no oven at all do you think? I am clueless about this, but the bowl is the perfect shape for a cake I'm going to make on Sunday. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

14 replies
mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 15

Personally, I think I would have not even looked at the bottom and then there might have been a disaster. I've contemplated baking in a pyrex bowl before too and though there shouldnt be a problem. Now I"m wondering too. I hope you find the answer.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 15

First hi from ohio! Well I have been wondering the same thing. I know you can bake in the Pampered Chef Batter bowls but I haven't tried it in my Pyrex yet I am anxious to hear if anyone else knows!

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, Pyrex is oven safe, you can bake in it. Just know that glass will bake differently than a 'normal' pan will. Mine always seems to cook faster on the outside. I think you are supposed to lower your temp when cooking in glass.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 15

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be, no broiler because it is such a high temperature. I think alot of people bake in these. I personally haven't. What temperature are you going to bake at? Maybe you can go lower, say 300 or 325? I would just watch it very closely!
Good luck!

kellyshe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyshe Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 15

I can tell you what happens when you put in on a burner on the stove top.....I had set a pyrex pan on the front burner and turned it on by accident (meant to turn the back burner on). The pyrex heated, and then it started to smell like something burning. I quickly removed it with potholders and the pyrex exploded into 1000s of chards. Thankfully no one in my kitchen was hurt, including myself, but it did burn my linoleum floor (great excuse to replace it!). What a mess. Be careful in that regard! icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 15

lower your temp by 25 degrees when baking in glass-it cooks faster on the outside. You can't put the glass on the broiler or rangetop because I believe Pyrex is only safe to 400 degrees and that direct heat may crack it.

I bake in mine all the time, along with my Pampered Chef batter bowl, my Pfaltzgraff dishes, etc. Never have a problem.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 15

My glass pie plates and loaf pan also say no stove top or broiler. Inst. always say do not bake over 350 degrees. Since I've never used them for anything other than pies or meatloaf can't say if they cook faster or not, now I am curious to see what others say about that.

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 15

I use my Pyrex bowls and rectangles in the oven all the time. I did bake a cake in the bowl once too and it was just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 15

I've used pyrex a couple of times and it takes a bit longer to cook right through to the centre. \\I agree with the other posters who say turn the temp down, then cook it for longer!!

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 15

I frequently have baked in glass and Pyrex with no problems; my min wedding cake was cooked in a few glass dishes. In addition from what others have said about no broiler and no range top dont put any cold liquids in them when they are hot. The rapid cooling could cause them to shatter as well.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 15

I've baked in a Pyrex bowl also. I baked at 325, used a flower nail in the middle to help it along and had no problems at all.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 15

all my pie plates and casserole pans are pyrex -- the only kind I like to bake in.

just remember: -25 degrees from what recipe states to account for the heat retention of glass.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 15

The warning Pyrex gives is don't take a bowl from the refridgerator and put directly it into the oven & visa versa-the quick temp change can break the glass. Don't take Pyrex from the oven and shock it -same possibility of exploding. The rapid change in temp will make it explode, just as ump107 said about cooling off.

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 15

One more tip, although you probably wouldn't do this with cakes you might with other foods....
Lots of ovens use the broiler during the preheat period of heating so never put a pyrex pan into the oven until the preheat period is over unless you are SURE your oven doesn't use the broiler to preheat.

Word to the wise...it does say nor broiler use on the bottom.

Besides that all pyrex can be used in the oven...Ijust love the stuff! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%