White Chocolate As A Cake Wrap

Decorating By Maddey Updated 21 Jul 2006 , 1:02am by fearlessbaker

Maddey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maddey Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 19

Has anyone heard of using white chocolate as a wrap for cakes. It looks like the cake has been covered with fondant. I have used chocolate on cakes before, but this is different. It is soft an pliable, like fondant.

18 replies
dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 19

Yeah, I think that covering a cake in chocolate is starting to really be a thing now. I will have to work up the courage to try it one day. Let us know if you decided to try it.

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 19

I've seen this done in a wedding magazine...they even made flowers out of chocolate. One of the cakes was wrapped in green & white striped chocolate! It's amazing...I have no idea how to work with chocolate like that!! Wouldn't it melt in your hands!?! icon_confused.gif

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 19

Howdy and Welcome to CC! I have been dying to try this. A cakery in San Fran does this as a specialty. Here's an example of their work and I am assuming that the way they do it is with modeling chocolate (chocolate plastique, some call it) and run it through a pasta maker. I too am interested in this process. Good luck. Let me know how it goes if you attempt it first. I'll do the same.
LL

LambieChop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambieChop Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 19

I've been playing around a lot lately with chocolate plastic. The texture is a lot like fondant and it can be rolled out to drape cakes. If you mess with it too much though it can melt but it can be remedied by popping it in the refrigerator to cool down a little.

BekkiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BekkiM Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 19

Is "chocolate plastic" the same thing as the white chocolate candy clay?

I made some white chocolate candy clay a couple of weeks ago to attempt to make the Collette Peters "Pasta Cake"--the cake was a miserable failure, but the chocolate clay worked pretty well. Well, at least half of it did. I made the mistake of trying to blot off the cocoa butter that separated from half the clay instead of letting it sit (no, I didn't follow the instructions), so that half was grainy and unusable (note to self: follow the directions). The other half was lovely--smooth, pliable, a lot like fondant.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 19

Chocolate clay, plastique, modeling chocolate are all the same.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 19

what cool about the chocolate clay is that you can even cover a cheesecake and freeze it and mail it.. unlike fondant which is not suggested to freeze for long periods of time..

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 19

Great idea on the cheesecake! Now I've got to try it!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 19

Wrapping a cake in chocolate can also be done when the chocolate (not chocolate clay) is melted, but starting to set up.

You need to paint an acetate sheet with chocolate. When it starts to set, but it still bendable, wrap it around the very cool cake. This is precision work, and must be done with extreme care.

Mike McCarey of Washington used chocolate panels to decorate his entry in the first Food Network Wedding Cake Challenge, two years ago.

Cake decorating - it ain't just buttercream anymore!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 19

I have used the chocolate plastic before and loved it. I have used it to cover cream cheese poundcake, and cheesecakes. There are a couple of pics in my photo gallery. e-mail me if you would like the recipe I use.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:55am
post #12 of 19

I use chocolat molding clay. I holds up well and can be easly removed!!!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 19

i've done sheets of chocolate, the chocolate is so thin that a sharp knife cuts right through it. There is one wrapped with white chocolate and stenciled (still needs work) in my pictures.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 19

petitesweet, if you're still interested, the directions for the striped cakes were posted on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:15 am by TamiAZ. The original decorator was Michelle H. I think you can do a search for it...
If it'll let me, here's the URL
cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21858&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=5dd0ae6b32ee4db35b3ea2540d149186

petitesweet Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 11:56pm
post #15 of 19

7yyrt! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I saved it in my favorites folder this time. I really appreciate you doing that for me. You're the best!!!!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 12:06am
post #16 of 19

Maddey, go to www.countrykitchensa.com. then where it says classes and fun stuff, click there and the instructions come up. Follow the same instructions for white choc. Candy clay is not that suitable to do this kind of wrap.

petitesweet Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 12:17am
post #17 of 19

Great site fearless baker!

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 12:28am
post #18 of 19

I've been researching this too and I'm so glad you brought it up so I can hear what others think. I have found a couple of books that are great on this:
The Chocolate Book by Mackley and Handslip 0-86101-916-4
Chocolate by Malgieri 0-06-018711-5
This last one is the best. Look on half.com, my favorite place to find cheap books.
The cover of this second book even has large ruffles of chocolate just piled on top of a cake.

Blessings!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 1:02am
post #19 of 19

thank You Blessings for the site. I have Nick's book. Go to www.berylscakes.com and look at the La Girolle. That makes the ruffler. If you are interested and decide you want it but have to have it shipped then go to www.ambassadorefinefoods.com. It's less expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%