Is Using A Scale Better Than Measuring Cups?

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm by lchristi27

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 24

Does anyone use a scale instead of measuring cups? I'm thinking of going that way - the cups are getting way too messy and a pain in the neck.

Thanks.
Phyllis

23 replies
htwiddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
htwiddy Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 24

I'll bump you because I'm curious as well. I've heard that scaling is much more accurate!

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 24

Yes...way better IMO...I had a recipe yesterday that called for 16 ounces of butter (which is 2 sticks) but when both sticks were in my bowl on the scale they only came to 7.65 ounces a piece! No wonder my cakes have always turned out off! Yesterdays cakes were perfect!

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 24

I really like using my scale also. It speeds up the process and makes less dirty dishes!

htwiddy Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 24

Is there a specific scale that you all recommend?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 24

Yes using scales is much easier and more accurate. Using scales makes it easier to halve or double recipes too. No worrying about tryin to figure out all those pesky fractions. Just ounces. grams and lbs. (which are usually whole numbers or decimals. Always much easier to work with than those pesky 1/2's or 1/3's or even 15/16's LOL.
I bought a really nice digital one that automatically figures out the tare (the weight of whatever vessel you are weighing the product IN) so that you weigh only the flour or water or butter.
I got the scale at wallymart for bout 30 bucks. It's capacity is to 11 lbs. (Even the big ones at work the capacity max is about 10 #s)

aminton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminton Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 24

I agree. Weighing is so much easier than worrying about using measuring cups. I can place my KA bowl on my scale , set it to zero and begin weighing my ingredients. Every time a new ingredient is added I set the scale back to zero and add the next ingredient. Less dishes to wash up and the scale is much more accurate. I bought my scale at William Sonoma about six years ago and I don't think I could ever part from it. icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 24

Measuring devices vary greatly in their capacity - weighing is much more accurate. Weighing is also less messy. I can weigh out a bunch of ingredients on paper plates and then focus on actually making the cake or icing. If you look at Rose Levy Beranbaum's website, there is only one maker of measuring cups and spoons she recos. I guess if you think about it, many of our measuing cups and stuff are now made in China and they don't even use the same measuring system we do and we expect them to be accurate? Look at all the various methods for measuring flour and the one you choose has a big impact on the amount of flour in say a cup. Many recipes don't tell if they expect the baker to use dip and scoop or some other method.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 24

Now if there were some conversion chart for weights of a cup of flour or butter or oil n stuff. That would be sooooo helpful when trying to convert a volume recipe (cups. etc.) to a weight recipe.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 24

I switched over to using a scale a while back and thats all I do now. So much easier and clean up is a lot quicker since I don't have a bunch of measuring cups to wash. You'll want to get a digital scale that can weigh in ounces and grams. I find the grams weight to be useful with some of the recipes from our overseas friends. Also, if you can reset it to 0 each time you need to measure thats a great feature. For example, I put my bowl on the scale, reset to zero, weight out my crisco, water, extracts. Then I'll mix that, put bowl on scale and reset to zero and weigh out my powdered sugar. Its great and so much esaier!

htwiddy Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 24

What are the types of scales that you all use? Is salter a good brand? Give advice!!!! Please!!! Looking to purchase, but would like some opinions.

zoraya Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 24

The brand I have is Salter. I think I got it about 4 years ago and it was around $30. Haven't had any problems with it at all.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 24

For me it depends on the recipe. I use both. For larger cakes I'd rather use a scale, also work great for making 1/2 recipe.

Phyllis52 Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #14 of 24

I'm sold!!

I'm adding a scale to my shopping list tomorrow. You guys never let me down.

Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 24

I use a scale. I learned from my Nana and that is what she used. She was from England and most of her recipes were in ounces etc.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 24

I found a scale was necessary for making cookies and weighing out the flour. I was getting inconsistent results with measuring cups from one batch to the next. Finally took someone's advice and borrowed a scale. No problems now, except my mom wants her scale back! icon_smile.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 24

I agree I love my scales. The cakes and breads come out so much better. I would not give up my scales to anyone.

Phyllis52 Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:37am
post #18 of 24

I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I ran out and got a scale on my way home from work tonight!

Another question: how do I convert my cups to lbs, etc?
Is there a chart for this?

Thanks again,
Phyllis

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:41am
post #19 of 24

Here's a conversion chart for volume to weight of common baking ingredients:

http://www.fareshare.net/conversions-volume-to-weight.html

And here is my little "hippo" scale that I simply can't function without. One cup of shortening = 7 oz, and I don't have to pay double for the pre-measured sticks or make a huge mess with measuring cups!

http://www.thecozypineapple.com/soehnle-66719.html?productid=soehnle-66719&channelid=FROOG

Phyllis52 Posted 25 May 2007 , 11:29am
post #20 of 24

kelleym -

Thanks so much for that chart. I printed it out right away and will be using it asap. I'm saving your Hippo scale - that will be next. I just bought a Good Cook scale, so I'll use that for awhile.

Again, Thanks!
Phyllis

zoraya Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:00pm
post #21 of 24

great chart KellyM, thank you! thumbs_up.gif

slwdickey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slwdickey Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:29pm
post #22 of 24

Is there a chart showing the amount of cake batter in ounces/pounds to put in cake pans? I talked to a friend of mine the other day when I was working on my first tiered cake and she told me that my 6 inch cake pan only needed 6 oz. of batter. I would love to have a chart with those type measurements. I just haven't been able to find one yet on the internet.

Thanks
Sherri

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:21pm
post #23 of 24

Thanks so much, Kelly, for posting the conversion table. I was just searching for one of these, & this one seems to be the most complete. Now, to purchase a scale.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwdickey

Is there a chart showing the amount of cake batter in ounces/pounds to put in cake pans? I talked to a friend of mine the other day when I was working on my first tiered cake and she told me that my 6 inch cake pan only needed 6 oz. of batter. I would love to have a chart with those type measurements. I just haven't been able to find one yet on the internet.

Sherri

Me too-if anyone know this it would be very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%