Glycerin

Decorating By Kattycake Updated 25 May 2007 , 1:54am by cakes-r-us

Kattycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kattycake Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 5

Can anybody tell me if Glycerin 'skin protectant', sold at Wal-Mart for $2/6 oz, will work in homemade fondant as well as Wilton's $2/2 oz Glycerine does? This stuff says it can be used on your lips, so it can't be toxic... ? Thank you! icon_eek.gif

4 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 5

isnt that stuff fragrent?? i think it might have different properties tho... i dunno tho i'm not a chemist maybe someone else will know

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 5

You read the contents in the bottle. If it says pure glycerin or something similar you could use it. If still in doubt , you could ask the pharmacist there.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #4 of 5

I don't know about Walmart's gylcerin skin protectant but here in Canada, you can buy large bottles of Glycerin at the Drug Store. Many cake decorators buy their glycerin at the drug store rather than buy the tiny Wilton bottles. I checked with the druggist at my local drug store and he confirms that it's the same thing as Wilton. It's just marked "glycerin" and there's no mention of skin protectant so just check with your druggist and he can tell you if it's the same thing.

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #5 of 5

Well can you all tell me if glycerin has a shelf life? I have a bottle that I've had about 10 years. Should I buy fresh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%