Glass Beads

Decorating By BearLuvsCakes Updated 3 May 2013 , 8:23am by atemanli

BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:10am
post #1 of 13

I found this amazing catalog of beads today and they sell tons and tons of different glass and acyrlic beads... Are these ok to use ok a cake? They just have some amazing beads and i thought they would make some gorgeous borders and stuff. Thanks!!

12 replies
manderfrog Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:20am
post #2 of 13

I would be afraid someone would eat them. How big are they? If they are large enough it might work.

BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:24am
post #3 of 13

They arent too big but not too small... i guess medium lol i think it would be ok if I told people not to eat them right?

Sunny77 Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:59am
post #4 of 13

I think if everyone knew not to eat the unedibles on your cake it would make a beautiful looking cake. I put some little mirrored pieces on one of mine and everyone survived but just be sure everyone knows. I think it's a great idea. Even cooler (if thats a word) would be to try to paint fondant balls to look like some cool beads. But maybe that's another project. icon_smile.gif I'd love to see whatever you make if you use them though.

redpanda Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:10am
post #5 of 13

One thing that I would be worried about is whether there are any coatings or residue on the glass that would be harmful if eaten--even if the bead isn't eaten, the icing/fondant that was in contact with the bead would be. I know that some glass beads have lead coatings to make them more reflective, and I would definitely worry about that.

melysa Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:27am
post #6 of 13

you could dip the beads in alcohol (vodka etc) to sanitize them if you are worried about food safe.... but i would say to just put them on wire. that way taking them off would be a snap and an obvious thing to the customer as well.

BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 13

The alcohol is a great idea. I figured that putting them on wire would be easier anyways to control people from eating them because while dissasembling the cake the strings of beads would just come right off. I also emailed the company to see if they would consider them safe to use on a cake so hopefully I will know soon. Thanks!

melysa Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 13

they will likely tell you NO, simply for legal reasons, they basically have to say that if it is not manufactured specifically for cake. however....

StephW Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 13

I would also be concerned with the ages of who will be eating the cake. If it's intended to be for mostly adults, then I think it should be fine - providing the coatings are food safe, etc.

But if it's a cake for a kids birthday party - I would be careful if they are very young. The little kids are adorable - but they don't care what they put in their mouths and the parents would have to be very vigilant so that the kids don't accidentally get the beads.

BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 13

Yea they would only be on adult cakes. I know even though you could tell kids not to eat them that someone would stick them in their mouth. Is there any way to find out what coatings are on the beads?

BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 13

There are also laminated acyrlic beads as well....

rachmakescakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 13

I took a class with Nicholas Lodge and we placed glass beads on our cake bases. He said, "Of course, you would never put these on a real cake because a child might think it's candy and choke."

I realize that you said the cake will be for adults only, but I guess it's better safe than sorry. (Some adults I know aren't much smarter than their children ha ha ha!)

He demonstrated making candy pieces that look just like glass beads. He basically crushed some Jolly Rancher suckers, put the crumbs into molds and melted them in the oven. They looked awesome. I'll post those instructions for everyone when I get home.

atemanli Posted 3 May 2013 , 8:23am
post #13 of 13

Glass beads jewelry is beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%