Can You Freeze Prepared Cake Mixes?

Decorating By da_goof Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 6:26am by oneprimalscream

da_goof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
da_goof Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 6

helloo every one

icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

Here is another stupid Question?

Can you freeze cake mixes that you alll ready made up i made to much. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have not got anthing to make another cake for so can you freeze it it was made from DH mix.

Thank you

5 replies
yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 6

I do not know....bump...good question.

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't think you could freeze it. Maybe refridgerate it but I am not sure of that either. If I were you I would make another cake and freeze that. I do this when I have extra batter so I have a cake in the freezer in an emergency.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 6

I would make the cake then freeze the baked cake. There has been quite a bit of discussion about mixes being saved for later use. Some people dont' have any problems and some do. Once mixed the chemical reactions start taking place so the longer they sit the more reactions are taking place outside of the oven where they need to take place.

You could always do cupcakes or small cakes and have on hand for a quick snack or sample =)

Leily

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 6

Leily is right...the baking powder in the mix works in 2 ways....the first reaction starts when dry meets wet.....the second starts when it gets hot. So, I would think that your cake may not rise if you don't bake it right away.

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 6:26am
post #6 of 6

I put some prepared cake batter into my fridge for a couple of days, and my cake was super moist and fluffy. Never tried it again, but seriously, I think it may have been the reason it turned out so well.

I wouldn't try freezing it though. Seems as though you'd get separations from the oil/water/etc and get lumps and whatnot :-\\

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%