Cream Cheese Flavor Without The Cream Cheese???

Decorating By christeena Updated 25 May 2007 , 4:09am by JanH

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:01am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know of an extract or flavoring that I can use for a "cream cheese" flavored icing without using real cream cheese. It is not allowed in a cake competition (based on flavor - not looks) but the recipes of cake that I want to try taste best with a cream cheese style icing! icon_cry.gif Can anyone help me????

7 replies
randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #2 of 8

I think I heard LoAnn used to have a cream cheese flavor, but it doesn't look like they do anymore. They do have cheesecake though, which will get you close-ish....

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:42am
post #3 of 8

You can add cream cheese flavore, sleeved pastry fillings mixed with your b/c.

Or: www.nationalflavors.com

You can order the extract by phone. The customer service reps are very friendly and helpful.

Here are National Flavors threads:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-182341-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-263273-.html

HTH

christeena Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:30am
post #4 of 8

Thanks, Jan, you are always so helpful!!

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:48am
post #5 of 8

Check out the King Authur baking site. I get their catalog and I think I've seen cream cheese extract in there....I'm not 100% sure but it's worth a try.

I'm curious...why won't they allow you to use cream cheese in a compitition? icon_sad.gif

SweetChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChick Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:48am
post #6 of 8

OHHH I just made my husband a red velvet poker table cake and he wanted cream cheese icing but I told him the cake was to big to store in the fridge and that I didn't think it was a good idea to leave it on the counter all day. Wish I would have asked here. Wouldn't have mattered anyhow I didn't have time to order anything by the time he made up his mind what he wanted anyhow. icon_cry.gif

christeena Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 8

The competition is at our local county fair, in a building with no AC! You cannot use any filling or icings that contain whipped cream, cream cheese, egg whites or anything else that could possibly cause illness. I personally use my cream cheese icing 95% of the time and it has sat on my counter for up to five days (as an experiment) on a cake getting slowly eaten with no ill side effects. I believe the high sugar content acts as a preservative but you can only make your own choice about leaving it unrefridgerated. At National Flavors, I'd have to buy a quart! I'll check out King Arthur next! Thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:09am
post #8 of 8

National Flavors is very inexpensive; what they charge for a quart, I was paying for 8 oz. at the local cake decorating shop.

Here's a cream cheese recipe that has been tested, and doesn't require refrigeration:
(From Sarah Phillips of baking911.com. - testing recipes for shelf stability)

http://tinyurl.com/2ydx9b

HTH

Please, no "save" posts per Jackie. Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%