How Long Do You Let Your Cake Cool?

Decorating By sarb21 Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 4:34pm by jguilbeau

sarb21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarb21 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 15

Everytime I frost my cake I get pieces of cake in my frosting and it is driving me nuts. How long are you suppose to let the cake cool? I have let it cool over night and even a few hours and get the same results. icon_cry.gif What am I doing wrong???? Any help would be appreciated.

14 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarb21

Everytime I frost my cake I get pieces of cake in my frosting and it is driving me nuts. How long are you suppose to let the cake cool? I have let it cool over night and even a few hours and get the same results. icon_cry.gif What am I doing wrong???? Any help would be appreciated.

You need to crumb coat the cake then apply a thicker icing layer once the crumb coat has set.

Also make sure your icing is the proper consistancy for icing a cake. It maybe too stiff.

As for how long to let the cake cool. Until it's no longer warm.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 15

This weekend I did four cakes. The first two I did without doing a crumb coat and I had many crumbs showing through the icing. Especially near the corners where the icing would often not stick. The second two cakes I put a crumb coat on and you would not believe the difference. And one was even a chocolate cake. So, I would try the crumb coat!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 15

Yep, you need to crumb coat for sure. It will definetely get rid of the crumbs!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 15

I mostly let mine cool all night. Then I put a crumb coad on it. This is a very thin layer of frosting. When its crusted, or dry to the touch (about 10-15 minutes) I frost it like I would regulary do. Also when I dont do a crumb coat I dont pull my spatula up off the cake, and I put the amount of icing I need on the top of my cake so I dont keep going back & forth to the icing bowl. I rub my icing, back & forth, like you would pet cat or dog. Gosh I hope this makes since. icon_lol.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 15

Some people say only let it cool 10 minutes before taking it out of the pan. I say it doesn't matter how long it sits in the pan. It should be completely cool before you start icing, though.

You probably just need more practice icing in order to keep the crumbs out. Try pre-icing with a really thin coat to "stick the crumbs down." Let it crust (If you use a crusting recipe) and then put a normal coat of icing on it.

Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it!

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 15

20-30 minutes max and I don't have crumb issues, except with a devil's food cake. Those I have to crumb coat first and then ice when that's set

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 15

If you don't want to take the time to crumb coat, you can get a big icer tip and put the icing on that way. Then you just have to smooth with your icing and you'll have very little trouble with crumbs and it's quick!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

Some people say only let it cool 10 minutes before taking it out of the pan. I say it doesn't matter how long it sits in the pan.

If you let the cake sit too long in the pan you run the risk of it sticking to the pan. At which point you will need to pop it back in the oven again for a few minutes to warm it up so it will release. Which kind of defeats the cooling process.

I let my cakes cool in the pan until the point where I can pick them up without using mitts but it's still warm to the touch. Any sooner than that and I am flirting with disaster.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 15

I agree with the icing tip, it's wonderful! You do have to use a lot of icing to do this but it's worth it to get rid of all those little crummies! Just keep removing the extra icing until you get it the way you want it!

HTH
Connie

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 15

I like to refrigerate my cakes (about an hour)before leveling, torting or icing. This gives me a firmer cake, and less crumbs. Sometimes I need to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before i can level it, if I left it in the refrigerator too long.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 15

Do you all freeze your cakes before torting? And if so, do you torte them frozen? I have crumb problems all the time. I've tried crumb coating too - but I guess I don't know exactly how to apply one. I've heard of using simple syrup and thought of trying that to "glue" the crumbs together....

When you put on your crumb coat, how thick do you make that? And are you trying not to get crumbs in your crumb coat?? Should that be smooth on the outside too?

sarb21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarb21 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 15

I use the wilton buttercream recipe and make the icing smooth. I didn't know you should crumb coat it first. I guess I will try that next time. Thanks for all the great tips I will be using them!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 15

I let it cool completely before I ice--10 minutes in the pan and then turned on to a cooling rack. I rarely crumb coat. I usually only do a crumb coat if I do a sculpted cake. I sometimes take a pastry brush and "sweep" the excess crumbs off, but not all the time. I just use the big icer tip and never get crumbs.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 15

Here is a site that explains How to Fill Layers & Frost a Cake with pictures. It explains the crumb coat with pictures. http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_frostandfill.htm#fill%20and%20frost%20a%20cake. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%