Airbrush!

Sugar Work By saleann Updated 14 Jul 2007 , 9:40am by Hollyanna70

saleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saleann Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 18

Can i buy an airbrush kit at walmart that is for model cars and buy the real ink used for cake airbrushing and it work or do i have to buy a special airbrush? TIA (MY walmart has the airbrush on clearance for 20.00!) icon_lol.gif

17 replies
SimplySweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySweetTreats Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 18

I think it should work fine. I was looking into buying the same kind of thing from a hobby store. The person working told me that it should work just fine. If it works I would love to know for sure. Good luck and great find!!! icon_surprised.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 18

I bought mine from Walmart a while back. I haven't used it yet either but there was a post on here before about airbrushes from Walmart working just fine. I am just doing this as a hobby so I didn't want to pay alot for one. Oh, btw, I got mine on clearance for $17!!!!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 18

Just be careful on how much P.S.I. it uses so you don't punch a hole in your icing.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 18

I just returned a very nice airbrush to Hobby Lobby that my husband gave me for Mother's day. It was VERY nice and with the compressor was over $300. I really was hoping that it would provide a miracle when I kept getting brush strokes in my Oscar statue cookies. I thought "Wouldn't an airbrush and some really diluted luster dust make quicker, neater work of 125 cookies?" Off he ran and came back with the best they had to offer. I'm sure it would work okay for regular dyes, but the luster dust kept clogging and it was a pain to keep cleaning out. I would have kept it and maybe used it for regular coloring, but the ink well was on TOP of the brush, and could not be interchanged with other colors - you'd have to empty out the last color and clean it real good and then add the new color. I didn't see myself going to all that trouble when I wanted to be artistic. If you do invest in one and want to multiple colors, get one that has the little jars that you can detach and switch out that hang down from the bottom. Also, the cake supply store I frequent said to get a cheaper platic one, not the heavy-duty metal ones because the dyes will eventually corode the inside of that ink well and turn it to brass, and then you might have food contamination issues...

Hope this helps! (For $20 I'd be willing to try. You will still need the compressed air cans or a compressor).

Lydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lydia Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 18

I guess i need to go to Walmart (excuses-excuses)----to check out my clearance section---do you happen to have a picture of the box---BTW let us know how it turns out----Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuchenscm0109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuchenscm0109 Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 18

I bought one on clearance from walmart ($20) a while back and the airbrush works fine, but make sure that you take the cake outdoors to spray. It went everywhere! I used Americolor ink for cakes. It is more of a pain than it is worth. If you plan on doing a lot of airbrush cakes, I would spend the extra money and get one designed for cake decorating.

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 18

so if you get the airbrush from walmart, can you use the cans that are right there with them? or do you have to buy some other kind of canned air? I know that the cans that are sold in the model aisle are made for paint and such, I didnt know if it would make the food taste funky. I am all about spending $20 for an airbrush, I am making a 3d car cake for a grooms cake in october and they want it as close to the true color of the car as possible, so I think an airbrush would be best for this task.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 18

I posted this reply to a similar question in Jan.

Many others here on CC will disagree, but I have e-mailed Badger (regarding their Propel canned air) and have read Belkin's material data safety sheet regarding their Canned Air and neither is acceptable for use on food products (fine for dummies or displays, but not for something to be eaten).

Although canned air products contain some of the same propellants that are also used in things like Wilton Color Spray and PAM, the propellants in canned air is NOT FOOD SAFE OR FOOD GRADE and/or they are not delivered via a spray system that separates them from the material being sprayed on the food (Betty Crocker Color Spray has a specially designed delivery spray system that does just that--separate the propellants from the food color so that the product that gets on the food remains food grade/safe.)

I've been researching this and I have'nt found any canned propellant system for airbrushes that is made for use on food.

HTH
Rae

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #10 of 18

Thank you, I was wanting to buy the airbrush from walmart, but I was scared of just that, so Thanks you answered my question

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:48am
post #11 of 18

I have a Kopykake brand airbrush and I love it! It was a christmas gift from my husband and I was terrified to use it at first. The air pressure is adjustable so you don't blow the icing right off your cake. There is a free tutorial on airbrushing at http://www.howtoairbrush.com/Lindex.htm and you can also buy the book by Roland A. Winbeckler on airbrushing as well.

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks so much for all the great air brush info! This was very helpful!

renkly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renkly Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 18

Did anyone watch the Food Network Challenge for cartoon characters?

Mike from Mike's Amazing Cakes was airbrushing the Scooby Doo lid cover gold. I had taped the show and we played it back super slow but I still could not tell what the paint was.

Does anyone have an idea???

I was wondering if I e-mailed him, would he help tell us???

vjcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vjcreations Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 18

I have the air brush from walmart and also got the air compressor from the hobby section at walmart for $25 that made $45 for the whole set up. Works great, I too had trouble with overspray but bought a cardboard display (for science fair projects) and put it around the cake when I use the airbrush make clean a pretty easy. I do a lot of air brush for backgrounds. hope this helps

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratorJen

I have a Kopykake brand airbrush and I love it! It was a christmas gift from my husband and I was terrified to use it at first. The air pressure is adjustable so you don't blow the icing right off your cake.

Same here. I had a little experience with mines from a previous job but not so much that I felt experienced. I do love it and it is easy to use to me. I practiced with a paper towel. And I've said this before, the best way to get experience is really to use it. The books can show you some techniques but there's nothing like grabbing one and feeling it.

And when someone finds out about Mike's Scooby Doo cake (the "paint" used) PLEASSSSSSSEEE let me know! icon_lol.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #16 of 18

Another vote for the Airmaster. I love my airbrush.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:55pm
post #17 of 18

I've had my airbrush for quite a few years, but I don't have a compressor for it yet. When I bought it, I just used the BF's compressor. Well, he's long gone, but I still have my airbrush and a bunch of the color, both of which have been kept very well.

What I was wondering is, how long is the color good? Is it indefinite, like regular food coloring, or does it go bad after a while?

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, I must have passed over it if it has.

Thanks so much,

Holly

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 9:40am
post #18 of 18

I hate doing this, but . . .

*bump*

Sorry, I just really need to know if I should buy all new colors now, since I have to use it soon.

Thanks again, in advance.

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%