Icing Pictures?

Decorating By anoldhippy Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 7:50pm by anoldhippy

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 13

In just the short time I have been lurking here, I have learned to much and printed out info to put in my books to refer back to. I tried to search but I'm not even sure what the "stuff" is called. I want to make my daughter's wedding shower cake. Just a small, 2 tier cake with scroll work (never done it but looked at all the ones listed here and think I might be able to do that)and some royal icing daisys. but I would love to put one of those "pictures" that are edible (I have seen them from the grocery store). I wanted to use one of their engagement photos. Is that something we can learn to do or maybe I should check with the local bakery?
Thanks for taking time to look at my plea

12 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 13

edible images?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 13

Hello there and welcome! What you're describing is called an edible image. To do this on your own, you would need to purchase an printer, some icing sheets and some special food coloring ink....

There are many places that will do it for you...sugarcraft.com has them....but you could probably find it at a Walmart or some other large store. Good luck and make sure you post photos...and best wishes for your daughter ...and your cake! icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:46am
post #5 of 13

Thank you so much icon_biggrin.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:53am
post #6 of 13

hiya hippy,
welcome to c.c.
there are a few things you need to remember when you take a photo to a local bakery to have it made into an edible image...
If the photo was done professionally you will need to get a written release from the photogropher. Otherwise, find one that you, or someone you know and didn't pay for, has taken the photo and you can use those. Have to be wary of copyright laws n all that. We can go on all day bout that but in the end, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Gaut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaut Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:02am
post #7 of 13

I did a shower cake a few weeks ago using a picture that the grooms mother had taken of the both of them.I went to my local Wall Mart and they put it on an edible image. It cost $5.00. They were trilled about the cake along with all the guest. I have gotten several orders using the picture on the cake.
WalMart does check to make sure it is not a professional picture.

anoldhippy Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:34am
post #8 of 13

I just take the picture to Walmart in the photo dept and ask for an edible image? Wow-that was way to easy-your all the best icon_biggrin.gif

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:42am
post #9 of 13

i cant belive wal mart doesnt have a problem with this. i mean since its not there cake your using. can i use a coloring book page or would i have to get permission and how do you get permission for a coloring book page or can i just say i drew the picture icon_twisted.gif

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13

anoldhippy,

Take your photo to the bakery, Wal-Mart does this all the time, they only charge $5 for 8x10 sheet, (Best price around).....(helpful hint) if your photo is only a 4x6 you will get charged $5 for it, if take 2 - 4x6 photos they can fit it onto 1 sheet, so 2 photos for the price of 1. I just did this today, I have a photo cake this week and one coming up for a family member, so that worked out great for me.

FYI you can also buy any sheet that they put on their cakes, they also charge $5 for those.

chaptlps Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:22am
post #11 of 13

coloring book pictures except for liscenced images like disney or pixar are ok to have copied or made into edible images. Just the other day I had to turn down a couple orders for picture cakes because they wanted me to copy off the cover of a cd. I explained it to them this way.... the reason that you can't duplicate liscenced pictures without permission or a "liscence" is that we have no way of compensating the artist for their images. which is the artists right. and usually their livelihood is derived from that (their art, as it were). ok back to what we were talking about.
beings that we don't have a liscence (paid the artist for use of their image or product or whatever) we can't use it. BUT, color book pages of a generic sense, are considered public domain and can be used without hesitation.
Where I work, we have on file, several releases from some of the local photographers so that we can use the pictures during the graduation season and other stuff. And the liscenced kits we use have to be duplicated from the image that is given. We aren't supposed to deviate from them. They have to look like the picture.
And beings I work in a large mass marketing chain, I have to be very careful as to what I can and cannot do.
Hope this helps ya a little.

chaptlps Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:24am
post #12 of 13

p.s. hippy,
you take the picture to the bakery dept not the photo lab. the bakery has the scanner and the printer for those and they can take a small picture and make it bigger or take a large one and shrink it.

anoldhippy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 13

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MENTIONING THAT!! I seriously would have gone to the photo section...hahahhahaa icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%