Cake Business In Louisana, Losing My Mind

Business By aadduci Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 12:53am by alexj9988

aadduci Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 9

I know I have posted before about information about starting a business in new Orleans. I am so frustrated right now. How Come I can't get a straight answer from any government agancy. I call the department of Agriculture they tell me to call the department of health. The department of health turns ut to not be the department of health but human services. finally i talk to someone who has no idea what i am talking about and tells me to hire an arhitect. I am so confused. Is this just New orleans or do people in other cities feel like they are talking to brick walls.

My teachers in cooking school don't even know and just tell me that everyone does it illegally. I can't elieve that everyone does it illegally. Am I just waisting time trying to be legal about this?

I am so frustrated i couls Scream!!

Does anyone know anything about the laws in Louisiana or New Orleans?
Thanks for letting me vent

8 replies
cakedeco Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 9

I'm the same way. I live in Galliano and can't find out anything.

bjfranco Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #3 of 9

I live in Slidell and was able to gets lots of help with a few phone calls; however, this was before Katrina!!!!
Did you call your parish Board of Health? I called St Tammany Board of Health 985-646-6445 - they might be able to help you.
New Orleans Dept of Health is 504-658-2596
First Stop Shop is 225-342-4479 (they are suppose to help people start small businesses)
Food & Drug permits. 225-342-9500

I am going through my accountant right now and she is the one that will get my name licensed and also my business. You may want to talk to your or an accountant. They have a lot of requirements so it made me step back and rethink starting a business. After we get our taxes done, my husband and I are going to sit down and decide if this is for me or not.

Anyway....hope this was of some help.

bj

aadduci Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much

You don't happen to remember what any of the requirements are do you?

My problem is that they say i can't do it out of my home, and than i say it would be on a seperate floor with three seperate entrances in a currently unused kitchen, and than they start telling me what i need to start a full fledged restaurant and that I need to talk to an architect.

I can't believe that it would be the same regulations for a home business as a full fledged restaurant. Is it?

Can this even be done in Louisiana? I know of alot of people who sell cakes out of their homes and now I am starting to think they are all doing it illegally.
Thanks again.

ntertayneme Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 9

I know the Department of Health and Hospitals, Office of Public Health does inspections for businesses to make sure they meet all requirements. I have a government directory, but there are many listings for the New Orleans area and I'm not sure what area you're in.

bjfranco Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 9

You have to have a separate kitchen from your home kitchen. It has to include a double stainless steel sink, oven and refrigerator. I am going from memory here (and I cannot find any of my paperwork) but I believe it also said that you have to have a place to store cleaning supplies. It was not a lot of requirements. I remember thinking that I could set it up in my garage and a lady here in Slidell did just that. She had everything in her garage. My husband and I were thinking about putting a little building (like the ones at Home Depot) in the back yard and set it up like a little shop because we have side entrance to the backyard that is inviting for lack of a better word.

bj

alexj9988 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 9

I know this thread is old, but according to the Laws of Louisiana, no home based food industry is allowed, not even for farmers markets. And yes, everybody here does it illegally. And, no, no one gets in serious trouble for it. There isn't even a fine for a first offence, just a warning and a cease and desist order, in most Parishes (Counties). I live in an area with over a 1/4 of a million people in it, and we only have a hand full of bakeries and cake shops. Every wedding I have attended in the last ten years used a home baker, and some of these weddings were 100,000 dollar weddings. Most also used a caterer that operated out of their home, although most of those have a kitchen they "rent", which here means they store a few things in a cupboard there. I just laugh when I read many of the posts on this board, as they have almost no relevance to someone living in my state. In fact when I called about getting legal, the health department guy asked me why in the world I would want to do that. South Louisiana may as well be a different country as far as attitude towards laws goes. Now Taxes are a different matter. Many people have another business that they use to declare sales and pay sales tax, and they also declare (some of it anyway) income from it for the IRS. And yes, I know that is illegal, I am just saying that it is still done. Most do not even bother with that. My husband and I had a small restaurant for a few years and one of the first thing one our food whole salers asked was how much we wanted to pay for with a credit card or check, and how much we wanted off the books in cash for a nice discount. He kept the cash undeclared and wrote off the food as spoiled. While not every business in LA works this way, it is COMMON practice. Louisiana is just very different.

BBB1215 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 9

In the state of Louisiana, It is illegal to operate a cake shop out of your home. You have to have a separate location out of your house. You have to be certified by the DHH (Dept of Health and Hospitals). You have to have a operating certificate from your local government agency, fire marshal office, fire extinguishers, exit signs, proper approved equipment. You can not just decide to start selling cakes and charging for them and advertising. You can't make a facebook page, or website. You have to have a registered name and pay sales tax to the state and parish. If this is a career path that you want to take, do it legally.

alexj9988 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:53am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB1215

In the state of Louisiana, It is illegal to operate a cake shop out of your home. You have to have a separate location out of your house. You have to be certified by the DHH (Dept of Health and Hospitals). You have to have a operating certificate from your local government agency, fire marshal office, fire extinguishers, exit signs, proper approved equipment. You can not just decide to start selling cakes and charging for them and advertising. You can't make a facebook page, or website. You have to have a registered name and pay sales tax to the state and parish. If this is a career path that you want to take, do it legally.

This is all true, and I did not tell anyone to open an illegal bakery. I was just explaining the local "customs" and why she ran into the issues she did. I would imagine that it is different from parish to Parish, how strict the local health department enforces that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%