Luster Dust On Buttercream?

Decorating By vovo379 Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 9:41pm by SLK

vovo379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vovo379 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 11

I am making my boyfriend a 3 tier cake for his surpsrise 30th birthday in july. I haven't learned how to use fondant yet so it will be in chocolate buttercream (i'm hoping it doesn't melt) and I want to make dots on one of the layers and paint them with gold luster dust. Is this possible or should i make fondant pearls?

~Jill

10 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

I would love to know the answer to this too.

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 11

I think if you used a very thick consistency and let it crust really good you would be ok. I'm not positive though so here's a bump.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 11

I would try dabbing the luster dust on with a dry paintbrush. That way the alcohol usually used wont dissolve your buttercream dots.

does anybody know different?

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 11

It might be difficult, but you probably could as long as the buttercream was well crusted and you were very careful with your brush. I would probably suggest making the dots with Royal though, as it dries much harder and you would have better results.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 11

If you refridgerate the cake really good so it is cold and a bit crusty after it is finished then it is much easier to piant the lustre dust on.I have done it several times.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 11

I just bought a new cake decorating book by Mic Turner, and she does royal beads on a buttercream cake, then paints them with luster dust.

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 11

There is a picture in my photos of a St. Patricks day birthday cake I did where I painted gold lustre dust on the border after it crusted. It was a last minute addition, so I think it was the next morning. Anyway, it worked great! Good luck!

P.S. my 200th post! icon_smile.gif

vovo379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vovo379 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 11

Great ideas! I hadn't even thought of using royal pearls. Thanks all!

~Jill

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 11

on my luau cake i painted the blue luster dust onto the bc about 15 minutes after i iced it.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 11

You could also try color flow - or thinned out royal icing on waxed paper to make the dots of various sizes - then paint them with luster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%